I'm now streaming my Mp3's

Rusty K

Hey,

I've now got my Mp3's streaming on a webpage.

http://r-dkeith.home.texas.net/welcome.htm

Three live tunes:

Treat Her Right 5:05
One After 909 4:33
Please Come Home 7:57

They are working with my Media Player. Does this mean they will work with any default device? What about Real Player and Mac? I encoded them with lame at 16 bit,44.1, 192kps.

I just realized you must maximize my webpage window or the links won't be visible.

Thanks,
Rusty K

One other question about file extensions.

I stated at the beginning of this thread I'm concerned as to how my mp3's will play on other computers not running ME/OS. I used the file extension .wmp, just guessing, and my Media Player pops up just fine, but I was scanning the microsoft help message boards and the extension file .asf came up with respect to Windows Media Player. Is .asf the proper file extension for all windows media?

Thanks again,
Rusty K

P.S. There certainly seem to be a lot of people on the Microsoft help message boards complaining about sound problems with ME. I've had my own but I've so far been able to work around it.

RK

[Edited by Rusty K on 10-29-2000 at 13:25]

I'm bummed....saw your post in dabluesman's thread, went to where you mentioned, downloaded, and yup, blew up winamp...so I tried hi-fi play from there...got some blips of sound every other second or so...went to this place where I'm posting now, still won't work.....I'm bummed and would love to listen....gibs

gibs

Yeah I'm having trouble. I was hoping for suggestions. My Media Player 7 pops up with either .wmp or .asf file extensions but I'm running ME so I don't know how it works on other OS's.

I'll be in touch.
Rusty K

yeah I tried the save target and it saved an asf file which when I clicked on it it started downloading a 7meg file!! I stopped there - there's noway you are going to stream a file of that size - unless we are all on cable!!!

Direct streaming requires a small 22K MP3 or smaller

cheers
John

John,

When you click on the link your media player should pop-up automatically as mine does and begin downloading/streaming.

Don't know what's going on but I can stream it in about 15 min. and I'm not on cable. Something else is going on. Maybe someone can help?

Rusty K

perhaps as you already have it on your computer it is accessing your history to play the track??? i.e. it's not streaming from the net. You'll probably find it sitting in a temp file somewhere, maybe, I just know that I have to buffer just to play lowfi streaming which is usually around a 60 - 80k file, your 7 meg file sure ain't goin to make it i reckon :)

John,

As I stated by going to my page and clicking on links my Media Player pops up and begins buffering/downloading/streaming depending on the length of the song it's from 15 to 25 min. Once it is "buffered" then,yes, after that it is stored on my computer but it certainly doesn't take 15min. to cue and play.

Of course I could just stream a portion of my song but I've always liked whole songs to listen to and 15min. beats a 45 download from a storage site.

Rusty K

its "streaming" off your buffer

192kbps is too much for all except isdn and above (certainly more than most guys 56kbps modems ,right?)
.asf is the new streaming standard for Media Player at less than half the file size of MP3s and just about CD quality.For a sample check out http://redrival.com/tomh/redhouse.asf
It should stream within seconds but media player is required.If you like the format,go to msn.com download area for their free media authoring tools (its a package of programs-the key one is called media encoder)make sure you use 32kbps to get this stream for 56k modems which most still have.
regards
Tom

Back