I'M a Newbie! My first Mix & I need help!

gAngsTa

Hi! I'm new to this forum and this is my first thread on this board. First of all, I've just recently got into the music world and happen to own a home recording setup: Digidesign M-Box 2 with Pro Tools LE 7.3, Presonus TubePre mic preamp, a pair of M-audio BX8a and BX5a as my monitors, a cheap condenser mic, and an M-audio Oxygen 8 midi keyboard. OK, here into the main purpose of this thread.

I have recorded a song for my friend awhile back, and was in the process of making the song from scratch. As I mentioned above, Im very new to the music business, and my skill is limited. So here I am asking you guys to help me out cause im pretty much stuck, and I'm not sure if I even started this whole process right at first. So please listen and give me some comments along with recommendations on how to do it right. It's an old Vietnamese song so please disregard the language of the song. By the way, Im still working on this song. It's not completed yet!

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=JWAGM8ODMXFY

Last edited:
Sounds pretty good to me. Maybe the vox are a bit loud. I was listening in headphones, sometimes that makes me write things that are wrong. Actually, you could look into the levels of some of the other sounds there too...a bit loud maybe...the bassoon...is it a bassoon? It challenges the vox even. I dunno, it's pretty good.

strings are cheezy sounding but i like the riff. add lite verb to piano. also, back off the mic (proximity) and don't be afraid to experiment with eq and verb on vocals. i like the piano riff. instrument at 1:15 is way too loud. kick is way too loud. i'd add bass line when drums come in. take out that clarinet (?) when the vox come back in or back it off to the side. nice composition though !

The sax sample isn't good enough, the bass drum is too thuddy.
Sometimes the vox are too loud & at others to lost. You'll need to even out the mix.
Pull the drums back all through - too obviously midi - they might cope with some distressing via a sonic maximiser or simililar.
What will you use to bring together the mix? some soft verb?
At this stage it reminds me of my fav restaurant in Cabramatta & the music played over the good PA there. I can taste shredded pork in rice paper along with some nice memories of my time in Dalat.
There's a huge market for this music but also a mass of competition in that market. Soften the sound, get some high quality samples & a vid with some very lovely ladies and you'll be knocking at the door.

Thanks for the inputs guys. they really meant alot for a newbie like me. Help me do better on the future mixes. Im taking babysteps toward the "standard" quality mixes, so im really hope that you guys give me alot of advice. I'm still learning how to use protools right now. Do you guys think that it might be my mic that the vox doesnt sound like how it should be? Will a better mic help me with the vocal? Im thinking about getting the Rode K2 tube. Or be honest and tell me im suck, or music is not the thing for me. sorry for a lenghthy post!
PS. it was the sax, or suppose to be, in the middle.

I think you have a very good start.

I agree with what has already been said.

Did the song change tempo in the middle of the intro? I kind of like that.
Did your vocal peak after 2:25? If so, watch it in the future...

Nice tune though. :)
Come to think of it, I think I have a similar style... :D

Last edited:
I agree the vocals could use some levelling so they are even in volume throughout. Piano sound and playing is very nice. The strings are right where they need to be in the background. The sax? is not my favorite sample as RayC mentioned, but the sax playing in the middle mark is sweet! It does overpower the vocals a bit there though. What are you using for monitors? Yes a bit of reverb over the whole mix might be just the thing too...
Tell us some of the story behind the song!

:D:):D:)

I think you have a very good start.

I agree with what has already been said.

Did the song change tempo in the middle of the intro? I kind of like that.
Did your vocal peak after 2:25? If so, watch it in the future...

Nice tune though. :)
Come to think of it, I think I have a similar style... :D

Yes it did, it went from 150bpm to 120bpm.

Back