I'm Drunk But What I Say Is True

hi groucho-

You sure remind me of Dr. John on this one.
This one really hit me on an emotional level.
I don't know didly about mixing but I know quality music and musicians when I hear them.
You got good drum sounds too:D

Dan

Groucho man - wow. Love your style, love your piano playing, your Table Talk is one of my all time favourite tracks ever on this board. This tune is right up with that quality, I loved it. Love the title, love the end line, and the over-all atmosphere in the tune is fantastic. The mix sounds perfect to my ears. Congrats to you on this song.

Did you actually do this drunk? I can't record that good while sober!

I like it man... very good. I like the sentiment behind the words as well.

Imagery!!

I can see you playing and singing this with a stone-faced, poorly-dressed drummer with a cigarette hangin' out the side of his mouth and a bass player in a grey hat. I could swear you played and sang this at the same time - it's that tight. (so didja?)

You know I don't listen to lyrics but these hooked me right away and I listened.

The mix is nailed - really spacious considering it's only three axes and a singer. (I only have the headphones right now).

Really nice piano pickin' - smooth bass - pocket drums - excellent singing. Total package!!

And yeah, it's a mixing clinic but this tune is emotionally moving with an artist's touch in the lyrics. Very cool!
~Milan

Wonderful smoky club feel. Excellent. I can't find anything to complain about and I think I was too into it to come up with anything anyhow.

This one is a keeper. Thanks for sharing!

great song! I was able to get into it without thinking about the mix.. thought I was hearing some compressor pumping but I'm probably hearing things.. what was the piano and drums? high quality stuff, and a great song grouch.. I give it 5..

I think this is my new favorite from you. I really do think you are an immense talent, but you pretty much know that I guess.

Something about the cymbals is pissing me off...like the decay is cool, but then when it stops, it just stops...maybe it's the ride...I dunno', something hissified and unnatural about whatever is getting "hit" over on the right.

Otherwise, damn Chris, I like it. It's hard for me to keep songs like this short enough, but the time on this one is perfect. I don't usually comment about such a mundane thing, but it's really well done.

Dude... amazing recording. I can't even begin to comment on it.

How'd you do the drums..? Loops? You didn't track those live, did you? :eek:

WATYF

Hail hail songs to relate to. Hail piano trios and dusty vocals. Wonderful mix, simple and straight-- gets the spirit across nicely.

More!

The initial note of the piano may be, just a tiny bit too hot, but just that very, first note, and I think it's EQ, but to get EQ on just that note ... when yer drunk as shit ... is very difficult ! :D

Yeah, that keyboard run was nice. Yeah freedom is great, like when you are totally free to jones for ... la nochee !

Oh shit, we fucking musicians are such fucking losers ... what is our fucking PROBLEM !

I"m singing a song on the board about going fucking crazy about a chick ... here's YOUR tune about losing a chick and losing your mind !

What is our FUCKING PROBLEM ! :D :D :D

This is a great song, yeah, simple and sweet. Chris is right, you are a great talent, Blues-Americana-Jazz

Your vocal seems a bit tamed in the upper EQ, yeah that last run was dynemite tight, nice keys.

Thanks for sharing, we are such sorry ass BASTARDS LMAO ROFL !

Good song, good sound, drums are really working for me. Love the soft crash. Bass is perfect, piano sounds great, so do the vocals..
totally nailed this one

shit, I can't say anything bad about it
thinking....
nope.. lol

maybe after a couple more listens :)

Hevy: Thanks for the listen, man. Dr. John, eh? I wish:). But thanks... (and your harp solo's coming...)

Lynx: Thanks a ton for the nice words. I'm actually in the middle of a huge re-arrangement of Table Talk - hope I don't ruin it.

volthause: No, I'm afraid I wasn't ripped for the recording of this. Although I was when I *wrote* it a few years back. And you should hear the original version of this I cut on a Portastudio back then - now that reeked of booze.:)

MC: Well, I finally quit smoking, but I do dress poorly AND I have a grey hat... Thanks a lot for your ears on this. And nope, it was tracked one instrument at a time. I actually prefer to play and sing but it's too hard for me to isolate the piano and vox when I do it that way.

skids: Another vote for the presence of cigarettes.:D Thanks a lot for listening!

BSABBATH: Man, I love it when people say that they weren't thinking about the mix! That's a good sign I think. Thanks much.

Sluice: Thanks for the words... er, word. :D

C. Harris: Thank you sooo much for pointing out that cymbal thing. I don't know how that got by me. It's been fixed now. And thanks for the kind words. It's very appreciated.

WATYF: Thanks! Drums are loops. From the Loopology batch - now available through Adobe.

jjtcorsair: I hear ya, brother.:D And thanks!

SV: Hey, don't be too hard on us.:D In the five years or so since I wrote this song I've stopped drinking and got engaged - so anything's possible.:) Thanks for your usual good listening.

Doug: C'mon, something bad...? No... okay.:D. Kinda fun to see people saying stuff like "I can't find a complaint". Thanks for listening. And Planet Caravan's that slow trippy tune on Paranoid. C'mon - everyone knows that one!:D

I fixed the cymbal decay problem Chris mentioned and cleaned up a little more sibilance. Let me know if anything else leaps out at you as needing tweaking.

Thanks folks,
Chris

Thanks for posting this -- I like it a lot.

Great sense of atmosphere and space on your recording. Your delivery and song style remind me of a less rough version of Tom Waites.

Excellent! I like it a lot!

:) Q.

skids said:
Somebody mark the date down. WATYF could not spot fake drums! lol :)
lol.... Loops aren't fake drums. :p They're real drums that someone else recorded. :D

It was a very good looping job though... not too repetitive... plenty of tasteful change-ups. The quality of the loops is a major part of why this is such a great recording.

WATYF

b.sabbath, sluice, and chrisharris gave this piece good reviews one after another. IF these wildcard gods score it good, then I know it is good before I even listen.

Now, the listen: The piano playing is very good. The voice is really textured - something I've always wanted my voice to have.
I really like the melody. I confess that I was wanting it to be a bit faster .

I love the line :Im drunk but what I say is true

Again i have to mention the vocals are just so well done. It's a voice you just cannot duplicate unless you have the chords for it. Everything sounds clear, bright without shrill. The piano writing is really good and i do hear a vocal similarity that does remind me of Dr. John who i think has one of the most distinct sounding voices outside of the "what a wonderful world" guy. Can't remember his name right now but he's famous. i wanna say Holiday? or something?

Anyway, great stuff Groucho. 'Cept i think i read somewhere you got engaged and stuff and quit all your destructive habits? What's all this productive happy shit? You're supposed to be strung out on heroin and scrapping coins together in NOLA! heh!

...ahhh yes... Milan just helped me out. The guy im thinking of is Louie Armstrong, you have a voice that is unique and distinct just like his.

Last edited:
Back