If you post songs here.. Read This

B.SABBATH

I listen to just about everything.. 95% of my post count comes from commenting in the clinic..

I see people here who don't return the listen.. That doesn't bother me UNLESS I see them commenting on others tunes..

I have listened to certain peoples posts everytime they put something up and rarely get the return listen.. Maybe once in a while.. The main people who comment on my stuff are people who rarely put up songs.. I do thank the people who have taken the time..

My new policy.. I will only comment on your tunes once... If I see you not return the favor, I will still listen to your song when you post, but I won't tell you what I think.. (like I see some people do to me)

You people know who you are.. I was going to list the names, but I decided not to..

In closing, thanks to everyone who comments on my tunes..

piss off to all you people who haven't returned the favor.. Some of you are real good musicians and *some* always get a lot of feedback from people when you post, but not from me anymore..

Am I being petty? probably..

Does anyone care about my opinion anyway? probably not..

In the future, I will avoid your songs like the black plague..

Thank you..

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.. :)

Last edited:
hey sam ive heard this from other people too...i know as far as im concerned..(being completely new to all this)..i listen to alot of stuff on here too,but when it comes time to give feedback all i can offer is "nice song"..or i liked the lyrics"..simply because i have no clue about recording....levels ....panning...frequencies..all that stuff ...anyway if you read something i say in your thread and it sounds like a 2 yr old wrote it..thats the best i can do...for now..and by the way i have listened to some of yer stuff and added my fisher price beginner feedback to it....any way just didnt want people to think it was a one way deal....for me anyway

jamal

not at all jamal.. I appreciated your feedback very much my man..

Sometimes 'hey man, cool song' or 'hey man, that sucked' is all you need to hear..

I do appreciate the comments I have received..

some people are just too cool to return the listen I guess..

One more thing.. Please don't go and comment on my tunes now.. The people who's opinions I take seriously have all ready commented..

Well I know it's not me 'cause I always seek your stuff out. I share your dark tastes in a lot of things. :D
But I think we just need to educate folks on the etiquette of all this. it's entirely possible that a lot of people feel like jamal did.......that if they didn't have anything detailed to say they shouldn't speak up at all. I have noticed that pretty much the same people are the ones that almost always comment on every song. It's surprising to me that guys from the other forums don't always frequent the Mp3 forum. After all, the whole point of this site is recording right? So that implies having music recorded for others to hear and learn from. Or help with.
As I have become more involved with this forum I've found my time for the others has diminished because I only have so much time available and I am drawn to the people who put some of this gear to use. An artist's site (sarah ayers) that led me to this site made the comment, "musicians make music, they don't spend all their time building studios." To me the Mp3 clinic is the point of all this.

So those of you that don't comment.

Stop it! Stop it right now! :D

This is more than just a critique place....it's also a gathering of kindrid spirits so make yourself known.

I comment on if I like the song or not. Simple things like volume, how it sounds.
I don't feel qualified to comment on the mix down, and I'm not going to pretend I do by posting some bogus prattle that won't mean anything.

I don't spend 95% of my time here. I try to keep up on what I have commented on so I can post on newer ones.

I'll continue my way as it suits me.
I don't have the time to comment on all posts or even look at them.
I'll not post 'something' so someone will post on my thread. That's not what this is all about.

Sorry to disagree with your ideas, Black Sabbath. I respect you, your music and what your saying, but I'll not abide.

Your not understanding me badgas...

I'm not asking you to 'abide' by anything.. I'm not asking anyone to do anything.. Hell yeah I comment on peoples songs because I want to, but I also hope that those people will comment back if they're going to comment at all.. I'm not saying it's right or wrong.. I am just saying it pisses me off..

When someone gives me feedback, I go and look to see if they have a thread going..

*I* go and look to see if they have a thread going....

Anyone can do whatever the fuck they want, I'm not asking anyone to do anything..

everything I said was what *I* will do in the future..

it is what it is.. nothing personal badgas. If my threads drop like a rock without a reply in the future, so be it..

*I* will avoid these people's threads in the future..

like the black plague.. :)

Excuse #1- 97% Of the time im online at work on a dial up connection with no soundcard... Hopefully I was not on your list, cause I have commented a few times on your stuff..

Excuse #2- Usually when I finally get a moment to sit down and listen at home, there have been 20 reply posts, and it always seems my advice is somewhere in there, and why post the same advice twice.......

I am very thankful people listen to the very few things I post here in the clinic.....

I usually get tons of listeners and critiques on my stuff..... Heres some tips..... (Sabbath: Your pretty good with your threads so this next part isn't for you, but I thought I would put my thoughts up for everyone else)

-Keep and eye on your thread and respond to every single post, or piece of advice seperately. I see people post a song and ask for advice, then they get a few critiques, and then don't even come back, or if they do come back it's just a brief thanks. Check out my clinic threads... some have gone 3 pages... I keep the ball rolling I respond to pretty much every post.. Listeners appreciate that your interested in there advice, or thoughts... I hate it when I take the time to listen to someones song and then critique it, and I keep checking back to see if the person accepted my critique or disagreed with me, or thanked me and I get nothing....If im a dick, come back and call me a dick, JUST REPLY TO ME!!!! Then like I was saying above, a few days later there is a brief "thanks" post in response to the whole thead... As a listener, and critic, I wanna know if my advice helped, what you think of my advice, and are you going to change anything according to my advice.. I get frustrated as a critic if the homewrecker doesn't get back to me.. I give up and don't feel like listening anymore... I need feedback to my feedback.

I think thats reasonable, and im being totally honest.....

Well I'd really like to listen to more stuff but bandwidth for me is a very real problem. They have also recently introduced quotas at Uni for postgrads so I have to be real careful how I "spend" my download limit.

B. Sabbath. I can appreciate and understand your feelings. It takes time and effort to listen and critque a song.

However, I don't think anyone expects tit for tat here. But if you find someone is always posting their own stuff and never helping others, then by all means shut 'em off.

(BTW, my particular excuse is a 28.8 modem. I just can't tolerate the 15-25 minutes needed to download before I can listen to a song. So therefore I do it very infrequently.)

i am somewhat new here.

i would like to listen to all the songs but...

:( my computer is not hooked up to the internet

:( the computer i use for the internet is not mine

:( the computer i use for the internet has an extremely slow dialup connection. if i try to get hi-fi it takes so long that by the time its ready im doing something else or somebody else comes along and wrecks it. low-fi is hard to hear whats going on especially with...

:( the computer i use for the internet has the lousiest speakers in the universe

:( while i am waiting for a song to load in hi-fi i cant do anything else cause the computer cant do 2 things at once!

:eek: i know it sounds like a lot of excuses...

i would really like to get involved but i feel like i would be cheating by listening to lo-fi and its not practical to wait an hour for a song to load...

:( :( :(

I dont seek out the same people all of the time to comment on. I have commented on your stuff before but the quality of it is always so high that I would feel that I am repeating myself at times. The problem that I have with reviewing others work is that the quality of the posts on here are such that I just enjoy listening to them so much that I have a hard time finding things wrong. Then there is the fact that people such as yourself and Erland and some of the other fine folks on here have such HUGE talent that I feel like I am NOT WORTHY!!! I love to hear new posts by people that I am not familiar with because the newbies are the ones that really benefit from the knowledge that a lot of us around here have to offer. When someone like yourself comments on my work I really take it to heart because I am familiar with yours and I am confindent in your opinion. And, as I have said of your work before...Everything that you do has your stamp all over it. I dont hear so many outside influences because you are an original. The difference between you and a lot of us on here is this...now follow me here because I have thought about this long before you posted this particular post. Many of us do songs in many different genres and are not consistent in one style. You, on the other hand have a definate vision of what your music is and how you want to present it and it is always YOU!! I, myself like to do a lot of different styles of music, you are an original. I show my influences, you dont. Can ya see where I'm going here, because I know I am rambling. I will finish by saying, once again, "I WOULD KILL FOR YOUR TONE!!!" :D

I like music. Thanks everyone for the music.

I think Sam might mean to say do what you can when you can because you can.

Homerecers rule.

Hey Sabbath.... I'm guilty as charged my friend. I've never actually commented on anyone's song but it's just because when I read some of the feedback that people leave I realize that much of it is a matter of taste as opposed to technical comments or tips. Now that I have cable modem, I listen to almost everything also but I don't leave comments because I'm not in a position to technically critique these mixes. If I like something a lot, I will throw in a one liner and express my liking but I hardly ever criticize ones work.... even if it hurts my ears. Am I wrong? Seriously!?
The only time I feel like I can contribute anything positive to someones growth is when someone likes what I did and then asks how I did it. Then I'm happy to spout out info but I feel I'm not the best person to be criticizing anyones mix. If you or anyone else on the board wants to hear someone else's preferences, that's a differnent story!!

So here I pose the question (and maybe I should run a pole):

Do all the song posters want to hear personal preferences and technical advice or just the advice?
RF

Well, then that brings up the whole issue of whether you want us to be honest or nice.

I like most of the stuff I've heard of yours, but what if I didn't? Would you want me to tell you it sucked? :)

Plus, if we do it for you, then we have to do it for everyone. And who has time to critique EVERY song in the clinic?

In the past, when I've wanted certain people's opinions on something, I just PM them and say: "Hey, I really like your opinions, so can you come over to the mp3 clinic and let me know what you think?" No one I've ever done that too has ever denied my request. And I would be rather honored if someone did that to me.

sabb...I understand your point...and no Badgas...I believe he wasn't asking for an eye to an eye...but more common courtesy. If you spend some time on someone elses stuff...why not return the favor?

Now..some finer points.

first off, I think many believe they need a recording degree to offer any advice. How about an opinion instead? That works. My wife can give great musical opinions, and actually has zero knowledge of music or recording, but I value her opinion because she represents [to a large degree] the general listening public, ....and uses terms like...it sounds like 'coffin music'...or it's too distracting...or non musical type terms that often make sense.

Also, some peoples stuff is 'high' level quality, and so people feel they don't have anything to offer (or maybe even the artist is just looking for a pat on the back). Still...the opinion works. Do you even like the song. Step back from the recording, and visualize the music ONLY....as one possible approach.

I understand the dial up connections...I was there. But, I do notice there is A LOT of listening (according to the nowhere stats) that happens without the comment. Some people like to listen to...or maybe lurkers, etc.

HOWEVER...
I am also finding it harder and harder to keep up with the clinic. It seems the amount of stuff has tripled to listen to. ..and that is really becoming too much for me.

Some stuff that is reaaally bad, I admit I usually pass over, because I believe internet advice isn't going to help NEARLY as much as just doing it..RECORDING.. For most of us, that's the way we learned...but, maybe I should be more aware of the helpful factor this clinic is to NEW beginners. But, I really hate to say.."nice song...(but really meaning... everythings is performed like shit...can't you hear you're WAY out of tune..and the song is VERY amatuerish), the sound of the guitar is pretty decent (when it really sounds like..'stick a mic up and hit record'...no finesse...no nothing)...or...even the drums sound good...and they are obviously canned drums...
But...I'll work on that...the problem like I said...so many posts..STARTING to take too much time.

anywayzzz....no real solutions.... I find myself getting amused reading the Chessrock crap...then go..."why the hell am I wasting my time reading this garbage?"

oh..and then their's laziness. (sorry Vox), but I realized I never replied to half the comments on the Sabb tune I redid...but just got too lazy. ME BAD ME THINKS>>>Really had nothing I could THINK TO SAY at the time...so I procrastinated...and read about your fucking toe, JOE!!!

chessrock said:
Well, then that brings up the whole issue of whether you want us to be honest or nice.

I like most of the stuff I've heard of yours, but what if I didn't? Would you want me to tell you it sucked? :)

the answer TO ME is obvious...HONESTY

and if it sucks...hey, maybe explain why (if you got the time or can explain why it really does).

I figure this stuff is to be compared to commercial quality...IN MY OPINION, unless otherwise stated...like dtb or reel person.. they admit to JUST having fun, quality a secondary to fun. If you can stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

chessrock said:
Plus, if we do it for you, then we have to do it for everyone. And who has time to critique EVERY song in the clinic?
VERY valid point. In fact I have a thread going on about that right now. HEY!!!! How come ya'll ain't over there posting right now?! :D:D I want to keep up with every thread in the whole homerec site but I can't. And sometimes if I'm gone a day I can miss some songs if they've already dropped out of site! :rolleyes:
I try hard but I only have so much time. I'll always listen to sam's songs 'cause they're always great and SLuiCe's songs and erland's and so on. Yet, from time to time, I'll be shocked to see I missed one. I know that's not what sam's talking about but I always feel a little guilty if I leave anyone out. OH lord...we Catholics can feel guilty about anything. ;)

One other point. I find that I AM biased by post count in my determination to listen. I find that I will listen to those that are new with VERY low post counts...or people that have high post counts. I figure the newbies are just that, and that the high post count people ARE reciprocating...which is usually true. Those with 25 -75 post counts, I find seem to be the "lurkers"...their post count is from their posts only..them asking questions.....no rebound replies. Maybe I am off in my assesement, but this is my FIRST impression.

Back