If you hate it when...

Oobleck42

...new people come here and want you to listen to their music with their first post, then this thread isn't for you. If you don't mind it, then I'd love to hear what anybody thinks about my songs. Sorry about the 2-minute clips, by the way. I don't have my own website at the moment so this is the only way I have of letting people hear the music. I'm not asking you to buy the album, though - just to listen and give me a bit of feedback. It's mostly acoustic singer/songwriter type stuff.

I've been browsing around this site for quite a while and just decided today to register. There's some great forums here and I hope to come back often and post. Also, in case anybody was wondering, all of my songs were recorded on a Tasam 788 which I've owned for a few months now (in fact, looking for info about it is what led me to this board). Thanks for your time,

David

http://www.cdbaby.com/davidtoy

Guitar seems a little dark... Everything seems a little dark actually...

Mixes seem okay level-wise... Vox on (3?) sounds very muffled... Odd...

Song 4 suddenly not as dark... Panning seems unusual... 5 also... 6 also... Very muffled vox on 6...

Piano in 9... Panned awfully hard... Interesting stuff going on in the left channel... Find me something to write on...

10 about the same... General lack of clarity in the highs... Pink Floyd meets the Beatles... Kinda cool... Might want to "telephone" the vocal or a "telephone" delay/echo...

Overall, it sounds as if everything is recorded reasonably well... It could use a little seasoning in the mixes, though...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Thanks for your comments, John. Very much appreciated. This was my first real attempt at serious recording so I'm not surprised that you found irregularities in the mixing/panning. As far as the "darkness" and muffled vocals go, though, could that be due to the fact that I'm only using one microphone? Either way, do you (or anybody) have any suggestions on how I could fix that, or at least avoid the problem in future recordings?

Thanks,
David

A little high shelf will go a long way...

A little low cut will also...

On the boomy & muffled sounding stuff, boost a parametric EQ and sweep the frequencies between 80 & 500Hz. When you hear the WHOOM frequency (you'll know it...) just cut it a few dB and see how that works for you.

John -

I think it's fucking perfect, I really enjoy your song writing and the music seems to be more of a back drop for a "thought recital" if this was'nt your intention with the recording, if you wanted a BIGABIGA sound then you should probably listen to some of these more knowledgeable chaps.. I soon as I have some disposable cash IMAGONNA buy you record. I like Tom WAITS, BEEFHEARRT, CAN, VENTURES....if you wanna know where I'm coming from. good stuff.

Wow, thank you very much! I've actually decided that I'm not going to alter this record anymore as I quite like it the way it is too. I've just started to record some new stuff so I think I will try out some of their suggestions with those and see how it goes.

Those are great bands/artists that you listed. I've been considering trying my hand at writing a Waits-ish piano ballad.

David

YOUR Welcome

If I get the tech savy to load up my disc soon.........maybe you could give me an objective disembodied review. I'm half of an electric (bass and guitar) duo called The BLUE HUMOURS.

Back