Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If it's something heavy that you crave

Thanks

If it's something heavy that you crave

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys,

Just working on this.Trying to make it real heavy. Not quite there yet. But getting there. A lot of heaviness is in the technique of playing, too, I guess.

The beginning rhythm guitar is not as tight as I'd like for it to be. Ain't that the case with most of my songs anyway?

Past the 2:00 marker it's more of a proof of concept at this point. Not refined as I'd like the final product to be.

Any comments and suggestions on the mix, production, playing, arrangement and all? I'll apprciate any help that helps me improve my mixing.

The Jam - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=4512694
    All my stuff available for a listen at:
    http://www.soundclick.com/thebigbubbaband

Thanks
    Oh yeah man this is heavy by all means.

great tune, some nice riffin, and cool lead.
    It almost reminds of Perfect Strangers in a way, great vibe man.

I like the way you play with effects on this one, sounds like good fun to play this.
    Kinda progressive to.
    I really enjoyed the mix, no nits here.

Thanks
    has a really nice feel to it. the guitars could be cleaned up a lot.. and a real drummer might help. But overall i really like it, it sounds like a more melodic children of bodom type thing, and sort of reminds me of the mission impossible theme song. >.<

Thanks
    Flamenco dancers with gun in hand, about to commence in a duel....

Electronica-Flamenco-Metal...

I love the axe tone....I wonder how it would sound a bit thicker or more upfront in volume?

The bass is great here Bubba!! Nice thick and full sound to it. It has bite.

Are the drums programmed? They are a bit one dimensional sounding. Does that make any sense? I would love to hear some full sounding drums on this one.

Are you using a sythn?

The feel is seductive and daring and bold. I like it a lot Bubba !!!

Thanks
    Solid Bubba, very heavy and powerful Good guitar sounds. Maybe it's just my system, but the bass sounds like it's working the woof just a tad too much. Or there's something boxy about it at just points (mainly the 0:40 type sections), maybe try dropping the midrange on the bass or something else there(??). Otherwise the bass does sound excellent. Anyway, good start here, drums sound powerful enough IMO, I like

Thanks
    Just my opinion guys; I dont think its heavy at all. Bass could be a bit thicker. The guitar distortion is pretty bad... just a bleh texture. I'm not sure what the norm is in this genre, I'm a grind & hardcore man myself and I just cant hear the balls to it.

I'd recommend fixing up the rhythm distortion, maybe fattening the track a bit and perhaps thickening the bass. Not much you can do about the drum machine I take

Nice little song though.

Thanks
    Nakatira - Thanks for listening man. I appreciate it. I'm glad you like it. Haven't heard the Perfect Strangers. Have heard the name before but not the stuff. Maybe I'll try one of these day.

BlackHawk2029 - Thanks for listening. I appreciate it. So how can the guitars be cleaned up? Do you mean there's a lot of distortion coming thru or like noise coming thru? I do hear the noise in a few place and the fingers sqeaking on the strings in a bunch of places. If you have anything in specific in mind, I'm listening. Also about the drummer, it would be nice to have a real drummer. I agree with you. But working with what's available in terms of gear.

true-eurt - Thanks for listening, ma'am. I do appreciate it. Flamenco? Maybe sounds flamenco'ish 'coz its an eastern tune. I would be so lucky as to even dare play something real flamenco. Yes, the drums are programmed. That's twice someone's dogged the drums. Gotta work on that. And yes, I'm using a synth. It's the sound you hear in the opening. It mirrors the bassline but sometimes in lower octaves and sometimes in higher ones.

SnakeDog5050 - Hey, thanks for listening buddy. I appreciate your comments. Yeah, I was noticing today that the bass seemed to be right on the edge of pushing my system. Didn't quite but almost did. I'll try to EQ the bass a little in the next mix. Well, I'll also try to have the song completed, or close to completed. And that's 1 vote for drums sounding OK.

ausgrindslaught - Hey thank for listening and commenting. I appreciate all good comments. And I appreciate yours. Your honest opinion is all I ask for. So you're the second person to mention the guitar dist. But which guitar. The lead, or rhythm or the bangers that mirror the bassline for the power punch. Well intended power punch. OK, I see your later comment about the rhythm dist. Some of the rhythm dist past 2:00 marker is just too crude. I'm definitely gonna redo that. So maybe that'll address a few issues. You got any specific recommendations for fattening the track and the bass? 'Coz I just normally the EQ the crap out of it in the lower range. But my bass is currently maxed out.

All thanks for listening and commenting. I really do appreciate it. The song is a christian hymn, as all my tracks as, and that explains well thought out tune and the melodic repetitions. The only thing I brought in was the intro and the arrangement.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbubba
    Hey guys,

Just working on this.Trying to make it real heavy. Not quite there yet. But getting there. A lot of heaviness is in the technique of playing, too, I guess.

The beginning rhythm guitar is not as tight as I'd like for it to be. Ain't that the case with most of my songs anyway?

Past the 2:00 marker it's more of a proof of concept at this point. Not refined as I'd like the final product to be.

Any comments and suggestions on the mix, production, playing, arrangement and all? I'll apprciate any help that helps me improve my mixing.

The Jam - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=4512694
    I can't get the soundclick player to play...I'll have to try back later man....
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

Thanks
    Well mate I'm not an expert on mixing, but I do know my metal! I was talking about the rhythm guitar, your lead actually sounds pretty sweet. The rhythm, i dunno it just sounds like a stock standard 8-bit metal distortion... how are you recording it?

The drum library youre using it a bit weak too, but I guess that isnt all that important. You could always go steal some better drums like DFH.

Fattening the guitar... well I just did a grind track with 5 guitar tracks. Panned them differently to let all the guitar textures mix, and messed around with EQ'ing and use a bit of phase shifting to fill in any gaps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ausgrindslaught
    Well mate I'm not an expert on mixing, but I do know my metal! I was talking about the rhythm guitar, your lead actually sounds pretty sweet. The rhythm, i dunno it just sounds like a stock standard 8-bit metal distortion... how are you recording it?
    The real dirty rhythm is DigiTech RP200 (FX Pedal) DI'd into the soundcard. The bangers are also the same but done twice with different sounds. So I guess I'm on the right track as to how to make them fatter. I just got to keep them cleaner and all.

The really dirty rhythm is very dist. so that you could use it for anything other than constant noise, which is what attracted me to it. I guess I'll try some other sounds.

The drum library youre using it a bit weak too, but I guess that isnt all that important. You could always go steal some better drums like DFH.
    I guess I could get a better drum kit. Currently, I'm using some free soundfont. I haven't even tried EQ'ing different pieces, so I might be able to make it slightly better sounding.

Fattening the guitar... well I just did a grind track with 5 guitar tracks. Panned them differently to let all the guitar textures mix, and messed around with EQ'ing and use a bit of phase shifting to fill in any gaps.
    Alright, that's it. I'm adding one more rhythm take in there.

Thanks for responding and commenting.

Thread Information