I'd love your feedback on this Back In Black cover before I publish it

Cool cover. Some things I'd look at.

I think the bass is pretty muddy. You might want to try notch out something around 300hz. It might need a retrack.

The guitars have a bunch of gain. Not sure if you're trying to do a modern-day metal version of the song, but it has quite a bit more gain than the original. The guitars are a little dull sounding. Missing some high mids. That goes for rhythm and lead. So cool soloing.

The tempo is pretty slow.

The vocal is pretty close. It sounds pretty good.

Drums were OK. Not super convincing as real. But not horrible either.

Cool cover. Some things I'd look at.

I think the bass is pretty muddy. You might want to try notch out something around 300hz. It might need a retrack.

The guitars have a bunch of gain. Not sure if you're trying to do a modern-day metal version of the song, but it has quite a bit more gain than the original. The guitars are a little dull sounding. Missing some high mids. That goes for rhythm and lead. So cool soloing.

The tempo is pretty slow.

The vocal is pretty close. It sounds pretty good.

Drums were OK. Not super convincing as real. But not horrible either.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, those are real drums.

I'll listen to the bass again and see what I can do. My bassist has a fairly dark sounding bass.

The guitars are drop-tuned, and it is meant to be heavier, hence the gain. But I'll play with mids and highs and see if it sounds better.

Real drums? wow. Your drummer is like a robot. man that was steady.

I think the problem you're going to run into with the guitars is, with all that gain, if you try to boost the upper mids you're going to bring out a ton or fizz. Anyway, give it a try and see.

I agree with the slight muddiness overall.

The groove is cool and all.

There are two things that bug me about the vocal a bit:
1. It sounds a bit shrill. I think it could use a bit of EQ to tame the high mids a bit.
2. I don't know if you can do anything about this, but the vocal tone sounds a bit thin. It's hard to describe ... you're (or the singer is) hitting the notes (the majority of the time ... there is a little pitchiness every now and then), but the tone sounds a bit weak ... as if this key is just really too high. It doesn't really sound very natural to me. It kind of sounds as though it's too much falsetto with not enough chest mixed in, so it doesn't have the power that Brian Johnson has with it. Maybe his voice is just higher in general, so it's a bit easier for him.

Like I said, I don't know if there's anything that can be done about that, except lowering the key, which, of course, is probably not an option at this point. Believe me ... I couldn't come near to singing that high, so I feel your pain. But it sounds as though it would be much more powerful if it were lowered a whole step or two.

Just my two cents.

Well, my observations...... Guitars get way way lost in the mix(especially rhythm). This song is soooo well known for that main riff, that to lose it in the would be a critical error. It could be the way you mixed it but like others said, sounds like your just playing with too much distortion and not enough mids. Being a metal/hard rock player myself its easy to want that scooped sound but it usually doesn't relay to recording very well. Also, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that little lick between the verse phrases is a little off. May want to check that.

AS far as the rest, I think everything is walking on each other, causing some mud especially down low. The kick is too boomy, or atleast maybe you have too much verb on it causing it to sound like that. The vocals sound good for the most part part but I think they have to much presence and sticks out like a karaoke jam.

I promise I am not picking on you, I really like your arrangement and for the most part everything seems to be played well enough, I just think the mix could be better. Thats why we come here to help each other. Regardless, good job.

There's some rumble at the low end (maybe the bass?)... ride (and/or open high hat) might be a little high in the mix. The guitar is missing a little bite. Vocals sound good to me (maybe double some parts?), which is the hardest part. It's good execution, though. Probably just some EQ details to address... I think.

Sounds pretty nice. Only two things that really bothered me that i didn't see mentioned was that the hi hat was a tad loud in the mix and I think the vocal would sound better if it was buried a little bit more. It's not only poking through but its on top of the mix. Very nice reworking or the song though so far.

This is like if a still good GNR did a cover of this song. Very nice. I love the solo breakdown. And the parts with the palm muted bass are killer. The vocal comes off as kinda cheesy towards the beginning but it finds its tone by the end. There were a few timing issues but other than that I really liked it. Especially the chanting towards the end. That was a nice touch. The easter eggs at the end were great. Nice production. Could use a bit more polish but I like this. I'd pay to hear this live.

Back