I Want To Tell People How To Post

Well, I bought my unlimited space tonight. Shamed, I was lads! Shamed! Actually it was something that I planned to do and just kept putting it off...putting it off. Well, I want Nowhere to live, so I did my little bit to help.

Yes Mixmkr, I consider the idea DEAD too!:D Like Waldo said, your heart was in the right place. See, you did some good--you got me off my lazy ass!

Now, what am I gonna do with all that extra space?:D

Mix, I don't see anything wrong at all if you choose to launch your own vendetta. Your heart was in the right place . . . your mind was in the right place, and your ideas were totally legit. It's a stance that some poeple aren't necessarily going to like or agree with, obviously, but screw them. :D I want my nowhere, too, and I'll be dissapointed to see it go, particularly when it could have been avoided.

While we're at it, I'll also refuse to listen to stuff made by people who don't support NPR or don't recycle. :D :D Alright, that was a joke (bad one), but I'm behind you on the nowhere thing. My god, I can't believe I'm agreeing with mix on something.

There's so many of these threads going I can't keep up...so I'll just quote myself from another thread. In response to this one, I'm not going to stop listening to people's music over their MP3 hosting preferences. That just screws me out of new music to hear.

SLuiCe said:
I think W. should stop giving it up for free. Unlimited, immediately available space for the normal price. Most of the NWR users will likely stay on, because the alternatives are obviously, well...just alternatives.

I'm probably behind on recent developments since it's 5:30 AM and I'm just gettintg my first cup of joe in, but why do we need donations when he could just charge for the space. I'm referring to the 15 free MB's. Ditch it.

I can not believe I am one of only 30 users who has been paying for the service for a year!

People are so used to getting shit for free on the net that, rather than have their whole reportiore available to the world at NWR, they'll just have 2 or 3 songs when for $2.50 a month....

$2.50 a MONTH

...for $2.50 a month you can post all you like.

What the fuck.

mix my man, you sure know how to step in it! :D

your heart was in the right place, but...

well,

you know..

:D

I still love ya bro! :D :D

Got the same program at NWR, only:

MP3.COM: $4.95/mo. 50MB space, 500MB transfer
$9.95/mo. 100MB space, 1GB transfer

NWR: $5.00/mo. 50MB space, 1GB transfer
$7.50/mo. infinite space (okay, so a cap of 250MB is what I may change it to), 1GB transfer

etc. etc.

W.

Re: i love waldo as much as anybody but...

erichenryus said:

they only let you stream 500 mb of month under the $4.95 a month plan.....your monthly quota would be used up pretty quick just by posting a song on a busy BBS like this one.

They have other packages with more storage and streaming capabilities but the prices start to soar.......compared to nowhereradios 1 gig transfer per month,mp3.com is a rip off........but,nowhereradio still has those equipment issues.

erichenryus, I use the MP3.COM B2B audio hosting...have been for some time.

In terms of reliability and speed, it's just great. I never get complaints of bad streams or anything, and that's why I've stuck with it.

The only thing that's bad is that MP3.COM itself is a cruddy business, especially when it comes to support. Once my account was almost cancelled because THEY had a problem charging my credit card and I couldn't get through to anyone to just tell them to try again (the card was fine). I eventually worked it out myself. I've had to deal with a few little things like that here and there.

The service automatically generates hi-fi stream & download, lofi stream & download, and hifi & lofi sample links. You are limited to 128kbps though. File upload and managment is easy and the links are generated within a few minutes.

If you hit almost any of the tunes on my website you are actually downloading from that mp3.com service. If you want to try it out: http://www.slackmaster2000.com (note, my site itself is kinda slow, but that's a different issue).

Slackmaster 2000

again Waldo, you know I like you, and i'm a paid member but maybe that's the price of stability (business and techincal)? I guess upping your rate won't do much good with 30 F__KING PAID MEMBERS!

So to all you who just don't have an extra 2.50 a month here are some quick ways to generate an extra 2.50 a month:
1. stop smoking
2. one less stop at starbucks per month
3. one less stop at mcdonalds per month
4. note that options 1-3 also have positive effects on your health as well.
5. hold back 2.50 from the offering plate one time per month in your local church. sorry god.
6. buy two less cd's per year.
7. carpool.
8. work an extra half an hour a month at mcdonalds
9. hold off another month on buying that C1 mic.
10. put it on your credit card and pay it off slowly for the rest of your life. or just accept that next credit card offer that gives you interest free for the next two years and use that to pay.
11. refinance something. rates are low right now.
12. sell one of your extra guitars.
13. etc. etc. etc.

Well, we've only been out a total of 17 hours in a whole year (8,760 hrs), which is still around 99% up time, so not bad. We've been slaughtered the last couple of months with increased traffic, so things have been slow, and stability has been worse...

I don't got the billions of dollars that Vivendi Universal has, so can't afford a multi-million dollar hosting facility. But then, they only have that money because people keep paying them...

Anyways, after this next 'hump' things will be easily scalable, redundant, etc., we'll have access to just as much bandwidth as the big boys (it'll just cost more to go up to the next step, but it's just a flick of a switch once it's paid for), and all that jazz. So, I'm pretty confident that things can only get better, they've got to get worse for a little while first though...

I think the plan of action is a good one, and if things work out half as good as what I'm planning, then we'll be the most unique network out there, have the most features, and hopefully be able to retain the best 'price' too.

I 'might' even be able to pull off a 'payment plan' for everything, so that I don't have to come up with big numbers to get going on the better lines, etc... We'll just have to ride the wave.

W.

Slackmaster2K said:

The service automatically generates hi-fi stream & download, lofi stream & download, and hifi & lofi sample links. You are limited to 128kbps though. File upload and managment is easy and the links are generated within a few minutes.

128 cap! ewe!

oh yeah, and slackmaster you're the one who first made me aware of their service. i read some article on your site about it.

I do love nowhereradio.com, so thanks all for the info on mp3.com. I'll stay away from that for now.

fprod south said:
I was shocked to hear there's only 30 paying members. A membership or pledge drive, like Mr. Q suggested is a more positive way to encourage people to pay for NWR. .

I got one song up there now. I still plan to enroll once I've got a few more ready, but I had a number of friends tell me they couldn't get get the streaming to work there. Don't know if they were just in over their heads (these are church musicians on an email group). Anyhow, I had to repost at my blogspot site so they could hear it.

This won't stop me from enrolling then, it's just a concern.

I may limit free accounts to 128kbps, and all streaming to 128kbps to minimize complaints of people not being able to play streams due to slow connections. (but uploads/downloads on pay accounts can be left as original if an artist chooses).

W.

Personally I find 128kbps files just great for internet listeners...in fact it's kind of annoying when people put up 192 or 256kbps files because it really does increase your chances of stream breakup even on a good connection from good servers.

Waldo, I think a 128 cap would be a reasonable restriction. I think that if you want people to pay for service, it has to be demonstrated as reliable and effective.

Slackmaster 2000

there's always options...............I'll find a way to post my songs but I'd prefer that it's on Nowhere and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. but that "If the server goes down Nowhere will just dissappear for a while" sound ominous. I'd hate to kick out $50 or so and then it goes away.....but I'll get some cash to him and shame on anyone who uses it regularly and doesn't contribute.

....but enabling a better bit rate for downloads is also a necessity. Alot of folks actually transfer 320's for collaborations here.... Even those of us that only use mp3's to track over would have a harder time trying to put tracks to a 128. I dont have any problem w/ a 128 stream though.

"If the server goes down Nowhere will just dissappear for a while" sound ominous

The only thing I can say about that is, if no money shows up, the possibility of the old server dying increases, so it's just a matter of the faster I can come up with enough cash, the less chance of that happening...

If everything died, I'd have a break in bills for a bit, so I'd make more cash. I could possibly raise enough in a months time, so that may be the absolute worse case scenario.

One thing I will tell you all, and probably have before, what NWR stands for, and NWR itself will never die, short of me kicking the bucket... lol, but I hope to have some monkeys trained to run shit for me soon!

W.

Back