I want some feedback on this mix

Cool starting.

Vox sound a lot like Painted on my heart from the The Cult. But they need to be brought out a little more. They seem buried in places. It sounds like they could have either been sung with a little more force or brought higher than the rest of the music.

I like the guitar sound. Might I ask how you got that? I mean is it samples or a plugin or a real guitar plugged in and mic'd?

The "aaahs" around 1:28 are pretty cool.

The song is pretty cool. I would definitely listen again. :)

Thanx bigbubba! I’ll bring out the vox a little more. Mixing your own recordings is so complicated, after a few evenings of mixing you loose a bit of control on the overall mix. Anyway, problem can be fixed and I’ll ask the singer to sing it with more force!

The guitar sound, well… it is a real guitar. I started recording with one mic and one line, then panned both sources and treated them a bit different (eq and reverb) which created a nice atmosphere (sounds great as you can here on the other tracks on our webpage). But for this track ended up playing new guitarlines afterwards because I wasn’t satisfied with the original lines. Then I had to play them direct into the computer through some processors (a hardware boss multi fx and some nice plug-ins).

Rezzonator said:
Thanx bigbubba! I’ll bring out the vox a little more. Mixing your own recordings is so complicated, after a few evenings of mixing you loose a bit of control on the overall mix.
That is true. Sometimes, the ears are just fried and a week off will fix the ears right up. When I leave a song for a weak and come back to it, it sounds really wrong. Then I can fix it a little more. And so on. :)

Rezzonator said:
Anyway, problem can be fixed and I’ll ask the singer to sing it with more force!
Well, I was saying more of:
1 - If the singing style is kept the same, the vol. should be raised.
2 - If the volume is staying maybe the singer can sing with more force/punch.

The Cult guy sings the verse in a pretty low octave and in a normal voice and goes into high gear during choruses. Suits the song. :)

Back