I Wanna Be Your Dog - Greggy Poop does a Stooges cover

Greg_L

Banned
I was jacking around with my new amp and ended up with this. Nothing serious. Classic Stooges song. This band killed the 60s and I love them for it. I can't write a song this simple while still being this good, so I might as well cover it. :thumbs up:

The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog

Mix comments welcome and appreciated. :listeningmusic:

I can't comment on the mix as I've only got a Galaxy Tab for internet/music at the minute but what I can hear on here sounds f'in great. Love The Stooges and the song.

I'll have another listen when I get moved and set back up :thumbs up:

yeah, nice cover of a great song
the COME ON at 1:23 could've been more primal, though :thumbs up:

do you know this song? pretty primal too

Sounds really good! Can't find anything that needs correcting in there.

BTW, is there an anemic piano in there, or what is blasting out that eight note pattern?

yeah, nice cover of a great song
the COME ON at 1:23 could've been more primal, though :thumbs up:

do you know this song? pretty primal too

Thanks. No, never heard that. Pretty cool!

One can never go wrong with the Stooges! Good job Greggy Poop!
Thanks man! :D

Sounds really good! Can't find anything that needs correcting in there.

BTW, is there an anemic piano in there, or what is blasting out that eight note pattern?

Thanks a lot. That is indeed an anemic piano sample I found out in interweb land. It's actually called "broken saloon piano" or something like that. I just drew the notes in with MIDI and looped it. That's about the extent of my MIDI skills. If I had a broken piano I woulda just tracked it. I despise MIDI and all that it stands for.

Bring the barks up. :laughings: No, seriously - bring them up.

This is really, really good. The piano sound adds a lot, actually. MIDI is righteous if you're actually playing it rather than programming it. It opens up whole new worlds of sound.

Bring the barks up. :laughings: No, seriously - bring them up.

This is really, really good. The piano sound adds a lot, actually. MIDI is righteous if you're actually playing it rather than programming it. It opens up whole new worlds of sound.
Thanks for checking it dobro. I hate MIDI. It's fake and lame. I don't want new worlds of sound. I want guitars and bass and drums. I hated having to use MIDI on this, but I don't have a busted piano, and this song is just not complete without the dink-dink-dink one note piano bit running throughout..

Great mix, really authentic!

Thanks dude. :)

My fav Stooges LP - but then again I really dig quite a few albums that Cale produced - particularly the debut ones.
Your recording - really good. Close but not too close.
You've managed the guitar tone really well; simple set up but not easy to replicate because the attitude and rage aren't available in a VST or sim. Playing that simply isn't easy either.
The piano part is really important too in a way that tambourine can often be.
I'm impressed, as usual.
Going back in for another run.
PS that wah squeal is grand. It's the sound that Zeppelin were chasing on Custard Pie.

My fav Stooges LP - but then again I really dig quite a few albums that Cale produced - particularly the debut ones.
Your recording - really good. Close but not too close.
You've managed the guitar tone really well; simple set up but not easy to replicate because the attitude and rage aren't available in a VST or sim. Playing that simply isn't easy either.
The piano part is really important too in a way that tambourine can often be.
I'm impressed, as usual.
Going back in for another run.
PS that wah squeal is grand. It's the sound that Zeppelin were chasing on Custard Pie.

Thanks a lot Ray. I'm really happy with the guitar tracks. This new JMP I got really has THE sound for something like this.

The guitar does sound pretty good.

I actually have a couple nits with this one. The piano does sound really fake by the end. You're using reaper, right? There's a MIDI humanizer plugin in there that's probably worth looking into.

The crashes are also getting that "bad-compression-phasing" sound that mp3s are so fond of. I assume that's Soundcloud's fault?

And the barks ARE too quiet! :D

The guitar does sound pretty good.

I actually have a couple nits with this one. The piano does sound really fake by the end. You're using reaper, right? There's a MIDI humanizer plugin in there that's probably worth looking into.

The crashes are also getting that "bad-compression-phasing" sound that mp3s are so fond of. I assume that's Soundcloud's fault?

And the barks ARE too quiet! :D

Thanks Steve. Soundcloud does in my opinion hammer and kill sound files. I don't know why I keep using it. Habit I guess, and it seems to be the host du jour right now. The source wav and 320 kbps MP3 sounds better to me than what's in the SC link. I'm of two minds on it - one, if it still sounds okay after being butchered by Soundcloud, then that's good. On the other hand, I'm always harping about people putting up the best quality clip they can, so I should do the same.

Here's a 320 MP3

The overheads seem better to me in the 320 kbps MP3. They're low in the mix anyway, and the jingles kind of mask and blend in with them.

The MIDI piano got little to no effort, so it can be improved. It's two tracks with slightly different busted piano sounds an octave apart. One got "humanized" and the other is dead on the grid. Together they sounded close enough to me like a one-handed performance on a real piano. Fuck it. It's just a cover song. Drums and guitars were my main priorities. The vocals are double tracked with the only two takes I did. The barks are on the second track. :D

Yet another track that I listened too already (last night?) but no time to comment until now...

I think this is one of my favorite recordings I've heard of yours actually. Did you do something different with the drums? They sound less bright and tight somehow...like the skins themselves are more dead, but the whole kit sounds more roomy to me. The cymbals sound more trashy too somehow. I dunno...whatever it is I like it. The whole track has more of a vintagey vibe to it and the guitars sound freakin' fantastic.

I don't know the tune, so I guess it could be the worst cover ever, but I doubt it. You really get locked in towards the end with the solo. The song sounds kind of simple on the surface, but the tiny variations in timing or whatever all come together right there and I thought it really popped. Well done indeed.

Yeah, had to stop listening to the soundcloud player and download the 320 version. The crashes are much more tame in that version. The rest of the mix opens right up, sounds good.

Good mix. never heard the song before, but not surprising. Guitars sound great. :)

Back