Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: I wanna thank you

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    3756462

    I wanna thank you

    Sign in to disable this ad
    I tried doing a little more rockin' version of ZZ Top's "I Thank You" (I understand it's actually an old blues song from the '50s or something, but I never heard the original). Any criticism is welcome, constructive or insulting. I was hoping to get some opinions on the mix, particularly these things which I can't make up my mind about:

    - bass guitar too loud?
    - Is there too much sibilance? (I never noticed any in my other songs, but I do here. Just wondering if it falls within the commenter's acceptable range for it or if it's distracting)
    - Does the snare seem loud?

    Anything you notice to criticize is welcome, these are just the things I either noticed, or think I noticed. Performance will be below average compared to most of the stuff on here, but for me, it's pretty good. You can still mock it, though. Thanks.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Between a rock and a hard face
    Posts
    11,571
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked 184 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474862
    NTB,
    Use the little soundcloud thingo when you drop in the link & it will put the steamer in your post.
    I don't know the original.
    Guitars are a little fizzy.
    Bass level is fine.
    Didn't notice sibs.
    Snare seems OK - to my ears bass, kick & snare need to be =.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cas Vegas, England
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,936
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 203 Times in 187 Posts
    Rep Power
    21368010
    NTB, the vocals are a bit quiet, and a bit dry. They don't need loads on, just something to give it a bit of body and separation in the mix. The guitars are still a little harsh as Ray says. At the moment, the raspy part of your vocal, the snare and the guitars are all fighting for the same frequency range. Everything else is sounding pretty good.
    I've got two sheds, me. http://www.therecordingrebels.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Floyd's Knobs, IN
    Posts
    906
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 205 Times in 199 Posts
    Rep Power
    3545216
    I bet this was fun to record! I second or third on the guitar...maybe too much over drive..not so much in the song itself but mainly at the beginning intro....or maybe try to play it a little cleaner. Personally I think the vocals are about the right level, but there were a couple parts where it seemed to get lost in the verses. Good job!
    Sonar X, Les Paul, Marshall DSL40C, AD2, Rode NT1, Shure SM57, and Dunlop picks, and cheap egg shakers, and Nike Shoes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowell Street Studio, New England
    Posts
    12,247
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 578 Times in 550 Posts
    Rep Power
    18632360
    After the initial guitar intro, when the drums in the volume gets squashed - I suspect that might be the soundcloud compression kicking in. The lead guitar part at 1:07 sounds a little anemic, maybe because of too much fuzz on the other guitars at that point. Maybe just a touch of reverb more on the vocal.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    3756462
    Quote Originally Posted by rayc View Post
    NTB,
    Use the little soundcloud thingo when you drop in the link & it will put the steamer in your post.
    I don't know the original.
    Guitars are a little fizzy.
    Bass level is fine.
    Didn't notice sibs.
    Snare seems OK - to my ears bass, kick & snare need to be =.
    How could you not know this song? This is one of the baddest MFing songs ever. I couldn't capture the "cool", so I went for "loud".

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0d4Kz02Pz0

    I tried those soundcloud tags twice, and the "steamer" didn't work either time. Maybe those things don't work if your songs are set to private? Or maybe it was a coincidence, I don't know. I'll try them again next time.

    Thanks for giving opinions on the questions I had. I tend to like heavier guitar tones for most things. To-MAY-to, To-MAH-to? I can't remember the unusual way in which you say it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba
    NTB, the vocals are a bit quiet, and a bit dry. They don't need loads on, just something to give it a bit of body and separation in the mix. The guitars are still a little harsh as Ray says. At the moment, the raspy part of your vocal, the snare and the guitars are all fighting for the same frequency range. Everything else is sounding pretty good.
    Thanks. I was about to start cutting some frequencies based on what you told me on the first one you looked at, but before I did that I decided to mute the toms except at the points where they were being used. That actually freed up a lot of the sounds that were being muffled before, like the snare. Of course, with the extra room, I promptly turned up all the guitars to the point where things started getting choked again. I'll see if I can find a frequency to slightly cut to make the vocal stand out slightly more. I generally like vocals to be at the minimum volume where you can understand the lyrics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutish
    I bet this was fun to record! I second or third on the guitar...maybe too much over drive..not so much in the song itself but mainly at the beginning intro....or maybe try to play it a little cleaner. Personally I think the vocals are about the right level, but there were a couple parts where it seemed to get lost in the verses. Good job!
    Thanks. Everything but lead guitars is fun. If I get lucky I hit something that sounds half-decent before I get too sick of trying, which doesn't really take that long.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos
    After the initial guitar intro, when the drums in the volume gets squashed - I suspect that might be the soundcloud compression kicking in. The lead guitar part at 1:07 sounds a little anemic, maybe because of too much fuzz on the other guitars at that point. Maybe just a touch of reverb more on the vocal.
    Thanks. I am noticing a pattern here. Weak vocals are loud guitars don't mix.

    Thanks for the comments, guys.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,679
    Thanks
    119
    Thanked 280 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    7968220
    I remember listening to this song on a 33 1/3 LP that I inherited from my brother.

    I think it sounds better as the song picks up steam. The snare sounded kinda dead at first, but either I got used to it or maybe you were whacking it harder later in the song...it seemed to pop a little more. I could do with less preamp gain on the guitars, maybe that's just me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Between a rock and a hard face
    Posts
    11,571
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked 184 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474862
    NTB,
    I do remember this version as the ORIGINAL but not the ZZ Top ( Zed Zed Top - funny name when pronounced in UK/Australian English) version'

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    3756462
    tadpui

    I agree with your comment about the first snare hit or hits... sounds like I was limp-wristed. I got motivated once the main beat began. My own fault.

    And it's not just you, regarding the "less gain on the guitars" comment.

    Thanks for the comments!

    rayc

    Yup, that's it! This is one of the few instances where the white guys that ripped off the song sound cooler than the black guys who wrote and did the song originally (I'm referring to ZZ Top, not me). In fact, the only other such instance I can think of is ZZ Top ripping off some obscure rap song to make "I Gots To Get Paid" within the last year or two.

    I like blues as long as it has enough rock mixed in (ZZ Top, generally). I LOVE rock with a little blues mixed in (Motorhead and Zeke, and of course AC/DC).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Yo I'm a wanna be and I had to do this
    By TheChikenMaster in forum DJ & Hip Hop Production
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 11:17
  2. i wanna be S.R.V.....!!!
    By jamal buchet in forum Newbies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2002, 15:45
  3. i wanna do that!!
    By fenderlikingood in forum Newbies
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-30-2002, 10:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •