I wanna listen 2!!!!!

TheRealWaldo

Okay, unfortuneatly (or fortuneatly, depends on how you look at it), the season is wrapping up at work, and the weather is all over, so I'm not working today.

So, I'm in the mood to listen to (thanks you guys, for reminding me that I do it for the music), and critique a few songs. Why don't I use the normal format? Seek out and critique each thread individually? Simple, I've got a very disorganized mind (believe it or not), and keeping my train of thought all in one thread is easier for me.

Let's see if I can do 20 or more today... Fire 'em up! Remember, I prefer streaming, and not having to sign up to listen...

W.

Go to
www.rwkresiak.com
music links near the bottom of page.
There are 3 songs there, all from a demo I put together. Your comments are important as we're in the process of recording them
in a pro studio and your input wil help to improve the songs.

Erland, you've got the permissions turned off on that one, can't stream nor download!

Reaper, you got streaming links (harddrive already has several thousand tracks on it, lol)?

Barefoot, cued on my list, will be listening and commenting soon!

W.

Well, what the hell. You've been hosting the stuff all this time, let's hear what you think of it, eh? :) Very cool.

Here's one I like lately. Pedullist played the bass on it. Taken

Wait....is this spam?

;)

Only if you have your browser/player and mime settings configured to do DLAPB (download and play back) reaper, not really streaming, and alot of messing around ;)

W.

Erland, sorry I took so long, WMP was stuttering on this (Doesn't like VBR, espcially 256kbps max VBR), confused me for a bit, but figured it out and switched my prefs back to WinAmp.

Incredibly well done acoustic, around 1:45, I got quite a start when the fiddle kicked in, a little far forward and overpowering, again later as well. I'd compress them suckers down a bit. Also a bit dry, maybe a tiny bit of verb?

W.

barefoot,

Loved the lo-fi record effect of the intro! Faked me out on the style initially ;)

The vocal/vocadrone samples are almost inaudible, certainly couldn't make out what they were saying, maybe bring them out a bit? Some people like that effect though, makes them think, and listen over and over again to figure it out.

Got no complaints on the overall mix, other than the odd clip, most listeners of this genre wouldn't notice a bit, as they're used to bleeding ears ;)

W.

chris,

When you and I meet, and it's inevitable that it will happen, chain your daughter up at home.... Girls with voices get my motor running...

I might bring the rythm acoustic up a bit, kick up a notch, hihat/tamb down a notch (tiny bit), otherwise, nice clean mix! Damn close to radio ready ;)

W.

Sluice,

A little D'ess on the vocals would be okay, not much, but just a little to take the edge off. Maybe knock the overall volume on them down a hair.

Lead at 1:54 is hot, jumps out of the mix big time, 2 or 3 notches, or just until it 'peaks' out of the mix.

During the faster vocal sections, the guit needs to come up a little bit, but if the vocals are brought down slightly overall, that might be taken care of.

I like the flow of this sucker, would like to see how the crowd tries to dance to this ;)

W.

Naw reaper, that's still just a link to an mp3... I'll give in and download it.

First thing I noticed, no bottom, absolutely none. Almost no mid either.

What did you use to record this? No offense, but it sounds like a single mic live recording through a tape.

W.

TheRealWaldo said:
...would like to see how the crowd tries to dance to this ;)

Haha...me too. :) Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with all of them, especially the esses on the vocal. Been thinking of switching mics soon. Cheers! -Tom

mwarkentin,

Vocals need to come forward a bit, and a little more bottom eq, they're being burried in the mix. Bass needs to be augmented a bit as well.

Bottom, and mid-high needs a bit of a boost, and some overall normalization would help. Needs that 'oomph'.

Drums are muddy, kicks hidden for the most part, too snappy, cymbals sound okay though. Sounds like the drums need to be tuned too, could just be the mud though.

W.

Back