I remixed that song I did for my wife based on your suggestions. Please listen.

Teddie

Folks,

This is regarding the thread below:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=16027

I remixed the song I did for my wife based on many of the suggestions I received from you good guys.

I was thinking it was a dang good job on the remix a couple of nights ago, but I listened to it today and I'm not sure if I really did a good job on the remix... or maybe me and my ears are tired today... I was using some crap headphones I use at work.

Could you please let me know if I'm done with it, or is there something else you can suggest.

I think the only suggestion I wasn't able to use was pglewis' suggestion about the kick drum... not because it wasn't a good suggestion, but the way I record the drum track, I can't isolate pieces of the set.

Anyway, please have another listen:
Reminder, song's called "Kathy" here at http://mp3.com/smartapple

Thanks!

Hey Teddie,

Just checked your remix.... a fine job, very balanced - everything blends well, solid performance...

Now mind you, I was checking this out (and your previous one) using headphones, not my nearfields, so I can't comment on how well this mix translates.... (headphones, unfortunately, are much more forgiving than monitors).

The only thing I noticed this time, (it's minor, but I didn't notice it last time), was that the snare/kick seems a bit stiff. If you were using a drum machine, I would add some very subtle tempo (1-2 bpm) changes as you move from chorus/verse just to loosen it up and give it a bit of "feel" - simulating the push/pull on the rhythm a band would do playing live.

Your wife should be very proud - keep up the good work! :)

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Young Theodore:
That is a well-mixed, nicely crafted tune.
It's refreshing to hear one-man bands (me too..)
who really know how to put all the instruments in their places.
I'm sure Kathy's proud of this one, no?
DJ

(Bruce) bvaleria, thanks for your kind words. If you get a chance to listen on your nearfields, please let me know what your ears told you... Also, regarding the stiffness of the drums, is that a "swing" thing? I've never tried to use my "swing" function on my drum unit... hmm. Thanks again, yes, my wife is proud of me :) I can't believe how much she supports me and my music...

Dougie, thanks man... for calling me 'young'... haha. and for listening. Yah, "one-man-banding-it" is so low stress for me... but I miss playing out... but I don't miss it too, if you know what I mean... Hey, yup, Kat's proud of me :)

Lambo, thanks for listening! I'm glad you liked it.

Yeah, liked hearing guitar noodling up...fills things out or something.....still great song, still not too ookie....gibs:D

gibs, thanks man. Hey, I'm glad ya'll picked up on the noodling thing when it was to low in the mix... It really made a big difference to my ears when I brought the right channel noodle up. Nice big cup of noodles...

Nice song Ted, more testimony to your versatility, I don't have anything to add that wasn't covered by the guys with the good ears, my only question is when are you and Kathy gonna do a duet, now that she's officially made her singing debut on Valley of the Dogz? .......peace..RayJ

Ray, J... a duet... man, now that would be cool.
She doesn't really sing around me too much.

One day a long time ago we were in my pickup truck singing "Lean on Me" (the funky version) and we were kinda doing a little harmonizing... pretty cool...

we'll see, eh :)

Back