I remixed an older tune of mine...

Shaky Tee

Between being and nothing
I remixed one of my older tunes for inclusion on a compilation CD.

Added lots of effects, flanged my guitar to death and eqed the hell out of it..

head over to this site and check out "Just This Side of Eden"

http://www.artistlaunch.com/helens

And let me know what ya think! :)

Thanks!

This is the best mix I have heard from you Shaky..........

you are definitely improving.....
as a matter of fact....

I think it's great .........

The other folk can comment on the nuances but this has a "big" sound to me....I like it...

do you like pie,.............or cake? :D

Joe

Reminds me greatly of Dido. I bet you hear that all the time. I'd bring the vocals out a bit, and turn down some of the other more electric sounding instruments, but thats a personal preference.

Sounds good!

I TIP MY HAT M'LADY

This is sooooooooooo nice!! Your voice is sounding excellent!! Really nice writing and an excellent performance.
I really, really appreciate people who work hard at anything - and it's obvious that you've been committed to your music and working very hard!!

Turn up that vocal a tad. I had a little difficulty hearing the lyrics through the lush strings and electronic sounds. Some folks may prefer a little less electronic stuff happening but it's your music - I think it sounds great!!
~Milan

Wow!!!

And here I was thinking I was gonna be tarred, feathered, and filet mingoned!! :D

Thanks all so much!!

Yeah, Dido was an influence. I really like what her brother Rollo does on her records.

Per your advice, I'll turn the vocals up a scratch...

"get rid of the drums."

They are quite out of time.

Outside that, the song is ok. Maybe redo the drums with better timing, or leave them out.

I can't believe Emeric's the only one to point it out so far, but the drums are killing this.. they're off.. that needs to be dealt with before anything else..

I guess I don't understand. How can the drums be off. I spent quite a lot of time on them. Are they too simple? Is the snare off? Help me out here...

Actually, I think I know what the problem may be.

I've got a guitar part on there that isn't fitting quite right. Could be throwing you off, in terms of listening to the drums...

I guess the drums need tweeking anyway...

During the verses the kick drum is falling in the wrong place. It should hit on the 'and' of 2 counting 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and.

00:48 - that's fine, that is where the kick should fall.

I listened to both versions

In my opinion, neither is quite there. On the new one the drums are a bit off and the synth doesn't work for me at all.

I would like to hear it done with an acoustic--not capoed with some finger picking, and nice jazz trap set, acoustic bass and a piano.

As to the existing recording, clean up the drums, drop the synth some so we can hear the vocals better. The song is nice, just getting the mix right will be the trick.

Ok...per emeric's and bsabbath's suggestion, I tweaked the drums - they were off beat, because I was following the bass line, rather than the actual beats in the song.

I've also turned the acoustic guitar up, and toned down the wah on it.

Pound away!

hey, this sounds much better! last time i remember you were having trouble recording the guitar. sounds like you eliminated it and went for an electronic thing instead.

very cool. still a great song.

only thing really bugging me on this is the initial pad. it's got a modulation that isn't in sync with the shaker and sounds a little weird to me when the shaker first comes in. can you adjust the modulation of that pad to match the tempo of the song somehow?

I was wondering about that too, actually.

The modulation is actually the echo effect I added to that pad. I gotta figure out how to tweak that echo effect that I used so that's in time with the shaker...

Definitely an improvement in terms of production. The vocal delivery was stronger but there were a few spots where i thought the intonation was out (around the 2:00 mark where some higher notes were hit). The drums didn't bother me rhythmically, a little electric sounding but nothing timing wise that sounded off to me.

Hey Khomp, thanks!

Yeah... I do sound kinda thin up there. I don't really want to resing it, but I'm deathly afraid of trying to do some "pitch shifting" up there.

I had the drums redone and I also took out the maracas that were in the intro - the modulation in the initial synth part is actually part of the soundfont that I used. No amount of delay or effects could change it to be in time with the maracas. So I replaced it with a phaser effect instead.

I used Blue Phaser. It works in a pinch, but, in reality, the more I listen to it, the more I dislike it. No matter what I do, it just sounds REALLY REALLY thin. I'm going to have to look for another phaser effect, somewhere.

Any ideas.

And I'll review other songs here. I've been having problems getting my winamp to play...

Nice tunage..........seems like you must've fixed the drums 'cause they sound basically in time to me......but I absolutely hate that kick sound.....way too much 'click' to it.
Nice singing.......vox is just a wee bit 'boxy' on my system. You might pull around 800hz down by a db or two. That would clean up the vocal a lot.

Good song.....nice job.

Back