I recorded this with EXTREMELY crappy gear!

chessrock

Banned
Greetings,

I've been daring to share this one for quite some time. Before listening, I just wanted to warn potential listeners of a few things in order to put this in perspective.

The recording itself isn't what I would call "really good." However, the funny thing about this is how truly amazing it sounds, at least to me, given what I had to work with.

This was recorded last halloween at my apartment during what is my annual halloween bash. The band was a Fleetwood Mac cover band. Very HOT singer, by the way. :) This was what I thought a kickass rendition of Sister of the Moon:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/5/1298/singles.shtml

At the time, I had very little to work with. Most of my decent equipment was packed up in boxes, as it had to moved around. You see, we had just had a flood in my normal studio space, so everything was sort of being "dried off." :)

Anyway, my buddie's band wondered if I'd record their performance at my party. All I had unpacked was a borrowed multitrack recorder which only allowed two tracks recorded at a time. This still left me with a lot more instruments/voices to try and record! So I improvised. Guitar and bass went through the multitrack's 2 inputs. . The guitar was miced with a 57 - no outboard preamp was available. I used a splitter on bass: One channel went out to his amp, and the other went to an art tube mp and then to the recorder's input.

For drums, I had an overhead and a bass drum mic. I ran out of preamps so I used my headphone amplifier as a pre on the bass drum. Each of the drum mics were recorded on to separate channels of a hi-fi stereo VCR hidden behind the drummer.

The vocals I just took from the board and patched in to my computer, which, at the time was only equiped with a Soundblaster Live card with 1/8" input.

After it was all done, I re-recorded and transfered all tracks on to my computer, where I edited and mixed everything. You can hear all the drunk people running around, but fortunately I was able to edit the part where the overhead drum mic FELL ON TOP OF THE DRUMMER !

Enjoy!

chessrock said:
Greetings,

The recording itself isn't what I would call "really good." However, the funny thing about this is how truly amazing it sounds, at least to me, given what I had to work with.

I think what you did, was capture a "moment" in time, that translates that well. The singer does have that 'stevie nicks' stuff down...actually an off-tune, kinda squeezed kinda voice, but yet, appealing in a strange sort of way. like the flange do ya??!! Nice big sound for your minimal setup.

So...who had the best costume?:D

Great story....I love to hear stories like this....this is what HOMErecording is all about (making the best with what you have)....great job, dude......

i think they sound a lot like fleetwood mac...one of my fav groups.

the recording sounds cool to me....like someone said, it does a good job of capturing that "live sound" - did they have a lot of effects or something? like on the vocals? someone running their soundboard? (the wasn't one did you say?) It sounds pretty polished

wes480 said:
i think they sound a lot like fleetwood mac...one of my fav groups.

the recording sounds cool to me....like someone said, it does a good job of capturing that "live sound" - did they have a lot of effects or something? like on the vocals? someone running their soundboard? (the wasn't one did you say?) It sounds pretty polished

Actually, I was way too busy entertaining guests to bother playing with the sound board. The monitor mix was terrible because I think someone might have kicked one of the monitor chords out (we were all getting pretty hammered). Anyway, this caused some tone issues with the singer.

All effects were added after the fact, as I eventually dumped all the tracks on to my DAW. They're mostly plugins (Waves, autotune, etc.) The singer is really hot and super-nice, but sometimes has some tone issues, hence my generous use of autotune and chorus. The effects on the guitar were also done after the fact with plugins -- I was just basically having fun with it! On some of the other tunes, I even added some background vocals after the fact, since one of the mics was too quiet. :)

Interestingly, though, I did divert the guitar signal through my Joemeek VC6 on the way to daw to sort of liven up the tracks. I can't help it. I just love the way guitars sound through the Joemeek. It's just a miracle I came away with anything useable.

Re: Re: I recorded this with EXTREMELY crappy gear!

mixmkr said:

So...who had the best costume?:D

and avoiding the most important question, I might say:p

Well it certainly wasn't me. I went as "Static." Safety-pinned a bunch of socks and dryer sheets all over me to make it look like they were clinging . . . and dipty-dooed my hair straight up so I looked like my finger got stuck in a light socket.

I wound up looking like Billy Idol just rolling out of bed. :)

Interestingly enough, the best costume was probably Abe Lincoln. Dude was just really tall and creepy-looking. Could have been Abe come back from the dead.

chess - I'd be interested to hear some of the other cuts. I really like the way you did your effects and such, DAW was my suspicion - can't give a live halloween band TOO much credit for all that crazy sounding stuff. Like I said...I am just a huge fleetwood fan..hehe. If you could post a "track" list and let me request a couple? :D

Any where they have a guy singing?

Sure, the set list is pretty easy, actually: Every song from "Tusk." That's their gimmic. They're an all-mac cover band that goes around doing the album Tusk from start to finish.

Actually, Sarah came out REALLY bad, so don't request that one. :) "Over and Over" and "Think about me" sound good, as do most of the other ones.

Let me know, and I'll post it for ya, same link. "It's the all-request hotline, folks." "Next caller."

Back