I need your opinions...

PlnsMstkn4Jacob

...and constructive criticism. This is a band I recently recording, this is the second mix I've done of the song(I usually do about 5 or 6 mixes before I'm satisfied with the outcome.)

If you guys could just take a listen to the song and give some feedback, positive or negative, but it has to be constructive. I'm just trying to better my mixing skills.

The song is at

Copy and paste the link into your browser.

very cool tune, imo. really liked the drums. like the guitar that comes in at 4:00 but wish it was a little more chaotic/loose. just my preference though. nice job. i can't really comment on the mix, i'm listening on phones, but everything sounds well balanced here.

I'm also listening on headphones which is not the best way to critique, but I'll try. Really dig the tune. That keyboard is a bit out front (that is a keyboard right?). Drums are very well done. Vocals very well done too. The keyboard or what ever it is, is a bit tough on the ears its a little to too loud... at least I think so. Very well done If I do say so. How did you record this?

Well done all around.

Ben

I agree, turn down the keys a bit, maybe bring up the high end on the hihat a little, other than that, sounds great. Very nice song and sound.

Thanks for the comments. Originally I had the keys even louder and I realized how that mid range frequency is kind of hard on the ears, I may try to cut a certain frequency out of that keyboard but at the same time I'm thinking that frequency kind of gives it that dreamy vibe and I don't want to lose that.

Also I've been told that the hi hats were too loud, I'm afraid if I boost any more highs on the hi hats they will become overwhelming, perhaps I should boost some highs but cut back on a high mid frequency?

This stuff was recorded with a Firepod into Cubase LE. I used a Beta52 on the kick, two MXL991 overheads, an AKG Perception 200 over the middle of the kit to pick up the snare and toms, and then I mixed in triggered tom sounds. Bass went directly into the Firepod, Guitars were played through a Fender Twin combo amp, 57 on the back with the Perception 200 micing the front. Same mic used on vocals. Rhodes piano went directly in.

PlnsMstkn4Jacob said:
Thanks for the comments. Originally I had the keys even louder and I realized how that mid range frequency is kind of hard on the ears, I may try to cut a certain frequency out of that keyboard but at the same time I'm thinking that frequency kind of gives it that dreamy vibe and I don't want to lose that.

A lot of people get carried away with EQ, compression, verb/echo, gates and all sorts of other plug-in stuff. I still stand by that 50% of mixing is just plain levels. You'd be surprised how much more you can get the bass to stand in the mix against the bass drum by simply playing around with how loud they are, our how well you can get a guitar to sound cranking by just turning down the overheads a bit. The other half of mixing is preparation in my opinion (meaning get the best possible incoming sound you can get, and if something doesn't sound good, don't resort to "fixing" it later).

I don't think you need to add more EQ to anything. The keys sound good, and sound is one thing. Loudness is an other. If they seem too loud, then turn them down.

Ben

Back