Thread: I need some advice

Thanks

I need some advice

Sign in to disable this ad
    This is my first recording. It is of my wife singing with a soundtrack. What can I do to make this sound better.

My equipment is as follows:

Mackie 1604
    HD24
    Behringer compressor
    Lexicon MPX500
    ART TPS
    Audix OM3xb
    Last edited by deepwater; 01-30-2003 at 18:45.

Thanks
    It doesn't sound too bad to me the way it is. Your wife has a fine voice.

I wouldn't do anything drastic, just small tweaks. I might offer that the vocals have a bit of excess energy in the low midrange - I'm going to guess 1.5Khz - 2.5 khz. A gentle EQ cut in that range might help them sound a bit smoother. Additionally, an EQ boost in the high range 12khz-20khz might give the vox a little extra air and again smooth them a bit. I'm giving specific numbers, but I would use them as starting points only. Experiment.

How many times is the line "Look what the Lord has done" sung in that song?

Thanks
    P.S., - the harmonies get pushed out of the way just a bit by the lead vocals. I might also cut the overall level of the lead to give the BGV's a bit of room to come through. Again, just minor tweaks, nothing substantial. Only a db or so.

Another thought would be to double track each harmony part.

Thanks

Talking

Thanks guys. I have to cut the top end alot to because her voice can get harsh. I've tried to use condencers, but they make it worse. Right now I'm using an Audix OM3xb. Any other mic suggestions

Thanks

Thanks

nice...

Deepwater,

your wife has a nice voice. I think overall eq tweeks would do this recording justice. It seems to be lacking a bit in the bass eq

Cutting the upper mids slightly on that vocal and bring the level back just a hair will help it sit better in the mix.

Good job, for a first out. Better than some that have been doing it a while. Keep us posted with progress.

-Rich

Thanks

nice...

Deepwater,

your wife has a nice voice. I think overall eq tweeks would do this recording justice. It seems to be lacking a bit in the bass eq

Cutting the upper mids slightly on that vocal and bring the level back just a hair will help it sit better in the mix.

Good job, for a first out. Better than some that have been doing it a while. Keep us posted with progress.

-Rich

Thanks
    This is your first recording? Okay, you have a gift. LOL...use it for good and not evil.

I think, overall...it's a truly excellent mix music-wise. I keep thinking I'm hearing the hat on both sides, which is a little weird, but maybe it's a tambourine on the left? That's a total nit-pick, by the way. I'm hearing what sounds to me like a choir of about 20, so I think it sounds great. Some serious time had to go into this.

Okay, her vocal. It's just too loud, in my honest opinion. It's a great voice, and I hardly EVER tell somebody to turn a vocal down, but the way it's sitting right not, it's TOO upfront and it's abrasive, particularly at high volumes, so it's not doing her the justice it deserves. WOW... I bet she DOES shred a condenser. If you've already cut mids out of that vocal, I'd hate to make her mad enough to scream at me! She barely even NEEDS a mic, LOL.

I'm hearing some "plosives" too (e.g., "stand up and Praise him @2:52)...Those can be fixed usually by rolling off some lows on the vocal, but with this vocal, I'd ONLY do that on the "P's," if at all, because it's gonna' accentuate the mids in her voice even more.

Anyway, after all that rambling, my opinion is that you should try cutting the level on her vocal at least 3db before you start undertaking any surgical EQ magic...It sounds like you captured a beautiful voice, and I bet it'll sit nicely in this mix...or any other, for that matter.

Smiling back at you. Disclaimer: If I've said anything to offend you..... get over it. :op
    Thanks
    Originally posted by chrisharris
    This is your first recording? Okay, you have a gift. LOL...use it for good and not evil.

I think, overall...it's a truly excellent mix music-wise. I keep thinking I'm hearing the hat on both sides, which is a little weird, but maybe it's a tambourine on the left? That's a total nit-pick, by the way. I'm hearing what sounds to me like a choir of about 20, so I think it sounds great. Some serious time had to go into this.
    er....

chris,....

it's a soundtrack...

I don't think he has any control over the hi-hat... (or anything else for that matter.)

She's got a good voice though. The vocals sit pretty decent in the mix. Could use to be a tiny bit lower though.

WATYF

Thanks
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahaha....

Okay, that SHOULD make me feel bad, but I actually feel a lot better.

Thanks
    I will add though that I can't believe I'm listening to the same piece of music as some of the others who have posted. That vocal is waaaay too hot. I started wondering if I was losing my mind, so I looked at the meters, and they just jump about 7 or 8db out in front of the mix when she's singing. Do me a favor and re-post this if you remix it. I'm one that never really minds looking stupid if it helps me learn something.

Sorry for the interruption.

Thread Information