I need mixing advice

I probably couldn't help you anyways, but I couldn't get it to play....kept saying my computer is low on memory. :confused:

What's bugging you about the mix? It sounds pretty good to me. Nice guitar tone, and the bass has a good spot to sit. Vocals are a little dry, or upfront, but they are clear. That's gonna be a personal preference call there. You could thin the snare out some, as that would be a norm for a bluesy tune. But it sounds fine where it's at.
I think it's a pretty good tune, and any real tweaks would just be minor, and more out of personal preference than anything.

Thanks dogman.
I don't know what is bugging me......maybe the vocals are a little too thick sounding. It doesn't seem like they set well in the mix, but I can't seem to improve on it.
Thanks again for listening.

jimistone said:
Thanks dogman.
I don't know what is bugging me......maybe the vocals are a little too thick sounding. It doesn't seem like they set well in the mix, but I can't seem to improve on it.
Thanks again for listening.
Have you tried it with a bit more verb, or some chorus yet? They aren't bad at all man, I'd be happy if I could get something that good....

jimistone said:
This is an original blues tune. Im not satisfied with the mix and any input would be appreciated.
thanks.

Gamblin' blues

Hey jimistone,

I absolutely love the blues and this tune is awesome!..I'm on my second listen and if I was just listening I wouldn't fault this!

However I am listening now to try and nitpick like you asked. So I struggled to come up with these but here goes!

1. The lead guitar during the solo needs to come up in the mix ever so slightly, maybe 1 or 2 db's and maybe fatten the the tone up a tad with some more mids to give it more attack and a 1db boost in the lows somewhere!????

2. The snare sounds a little (boomy/boxy) I am fishing for a term I can use to describe what I am hearing!..Perhaps a little boost in the mids to give the snare a less strangled vibe!

These points I really had to dig to get out and it took me 3 listens, but I say what a fine job you have done here jimistone!

I love this man........I honestly do!

Great Stuff! :)

Gorty

Gorty said:
Hey jimistone,

I absolutely love the blues and this tune is awesome!..I'm on my second listen and if I was just listening I wouldn't fault this!

However I am listening now to try and nitpick like you asked. So I struggled to come up with these but here goes!

1. The lead guitar during the solo needs to come up in the mix ever so slightly, maybe 1 or 2 db's and maybe fatten the the tone up a tad with some more mids to give it more attack and a 1db boost in the lows somewhere!????

2. The snare sounds a little (boomy/boxy) I am fishing for a term I can use to describe what I am hearing!..Perhaps a little boost in the mids to give the snare a less strangled vibe!

These points I really had to dig to get out and it took me 3 listens, but I say what a fine job you have done here jimistone!

I love this man........I honestly do!

Great Stuff! :)

Gorty

Thanks gorty, im going to use your and dogmans tips and see if I can improve the mix.
It bums me out that it won't play for some of the reviewers...I don't know whats goin' on there.

thanks again gorty

Great song man.

Good blues :cool:

fat vox, maybe place them a little further back, maybe some more verb :confused: or something.

nad the synth that I have in my right speaker could also come down a tad.

It sounds great, this is just experimnetal suggestions. :)

thanks for sharing :cool:

jimistone said:
Thanks gorty, im going to use your and dogmans tips and see if I can improve the mix.
It bums me out that it won't play for some of the reviewers...I don't know whats goin' on there.

thanks again gorty
I've found that Nowhere seems to stream best with the Winamp player...or they need to sign up and download teh song, and use in a different player. I can never get it to stream in Windows Media. :confused:

I think the mix is fine, really, but the production to my ears is what lacks. I can't think of a better example that I've heard of what seems to be great playing, great tracking, but just lacking that extra "umph" that a good mastering house could give. Dude, your songs and playing are AWESOME!!! :) GREAT lyrics! :) :) :) Mix is on it too...but man a good mastering could really bring your sound around.

Great Blues tune.... I thought the mix is pretty good, but lacking some depth and a tiny bit of imaging and punch.... Here is a version that I took the liberty to add a little bit of polishing to, It may be a tad heavy in the low end, it's hard for me to tell cause I can't crank up my monitors (it's late here)
but it might help you to hear a little of what the mix is missing. Just A/B the two mixes and you get a better idea.

---->

BTW, if you feel like I've 'steped on your toes' here let me know and i'll remove the link and post asap.

thanks.

jimistone said:

thanks again gorty

You're Welkom jimistone! :)

This sounds very good Mr. Stone. Good vox and playing all around.

For the horns on the left, I would probably add more reverb and possibly turn down the volume just a tad. Or hire real horns :D Or find better patches.

This sounds very "authentic", it sounds like the real thing southern/TX blues, but the horns sound like 80s synths. I am guessing more reverb and less horns will help a bit.

I think this is the first I have heard your stuff and its terrific. Excellent stuff all the way around. I like the musical aspects of the horns, its just beggin for some real players to give it the authentic Blues brothers vibe. Obviously thats hard to accomplish but you could if you put a few bucks into it. Good luck with this one, sounds great.

Oh, I seem to have Nowhere set up to use realplayer, works fine. Try Soundclick as well.

Listening through iTunes with Shure E4's- nothing better to monitor on here at the moment.

Horns/Keys too loud? On the left, the ones that hit the (+ 2 +) notes all the time. They're masking the... just about everything else that might take center stage: vocals and lead guitar. Back them off a tad. Maybe find a sweet frequency in the vocal track then *cut* that freq. a bit in the keys. Balance it more with the guitar on the right.

Vocals do seem a bit dry compared to other elements of the production. I like the way they sound, though, so I'd see how backing of the wet on some other stuff might sound.

Anyway- tricky mix. Sounds pretty good, but...just...barely...not...right somehow.

Good work.
Chris

Jimi, love this blues tune...blues are special to me too!! I love em'!!

I don't know what Predicament did, but he did make it punchier and crisper! It has bit more rawness to it in his mix.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

My windows media player works fine for Nowwhere and Soundclick....so far.

I agree with david re the horns - maybe even dirty them a little - they are squeaky clean & they lean on the solo too much - crushing it a bit. In fact the guitar reprise is almost subservient to it.
Chris' comment about EQ carving might be the go...
Perdicament's tweaking is very good but still those horns are too loud.
So, given that it's recorded a few tweaks in the mix shoudl see this shine even more.
A few BB King type grunts during the solos would add some authenticity too.
REALLY nice work.
Cheers
rayC

I like the way the vocals sound.

I'm really searching here, but the one thing I didn't like was the sound of the keyboard solo. A bit to tinkly for me. But I'm searching cause you said your not happy with it.

Overall nicely done...

Back