I need mixing advice

Perdicament said:
Great Blues tune.... I thought the mix is pretty good, but lacking some depth and a tiny bit of imaging and punch.... Here is a version that I took the liberty to add a little bit of polishing to, It may be a tad heavy in the low end, it's hard for me to tell cause I can't crank up my monitors (it's late here)
but it might help you to hear a little of what the mix is missing. Just A/B the two mixes and you get a better idea.

---->

BTW, if you feel like I've 'steped on your toes' here let me know and i'll remove the link and post asap.

thanks.

I just listened to your version and it has more punch...nice.
You're not stepping on my toes one bit bro.
thanks.

Very cool Jimi. There's not a lot of anything "wrong" with the mix. Trying to get real sounding horns out of a synth can be an exercize in futility. I REALLY like this tune.

Track Rat said:
Very cool Jimi. There's not a lot of anything "wrong" with the mix. Trying to get real sounding horns out of a synth can be an exercize in futility. I REALLY like this tune.
Thanks bro. The synth horns in your blues tunes are the most realistic I have ever heard. I really thought they were real horns, before you told me otherwise.
I agree with everyone that the horns were pretty loud in the mix. I mixed them loud on purpose because all the classic blues recordings, I have listened to through the years, have the horns loud as hell in them.
(of course they are a REAL horn section...which makes a difference)
I started not to add horns on this one....but it just screamed for a horn part IMO.
If I tried to track a real horn section....with my engineering skills....it would probably sound even shittier than the synths! :D

jimistone said:
Thanks bro. The synth horns in your blues tunes are the most realistic I have ever heard. I really thought they were real horns, before you told me otherwise.
I agree with everyone that the horns were pretty loud in the mix. I mixed them loud on purpose because all the classic blues recordings, I have listened to through the years, have the horns loud as hell in them.
(of course they are a REAL horn section...which makes a difference)
I started not to add horns on this one....but it just screamed for a horn part IMO.
If I tried to track a real horn section....with my engineering skills....it would probably sound even shittier than the synths! :D

Hey, just an idea, you could ask Lt.bob (Steve) over @ the recording project to add you some real horns on this. Just a thought. Kick ass baby!

It's not my synth...it's a friends. It's a yamaha dx7 controller...im not sure what kind of voices he is using. I don't think it's the voices that come stock on the dx7 though.

He is shopping for a new rig, so maybe the horns will sound better on the new one...i dunno. Synths are completely foriegn to me....im a guitar man.

Back