Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need help with vocals.....pls read

Thanks

I need help with vocals.....pls read

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey all. I'm extremely new to recording and mixing vocals. I've recorded a quick little something for you to listen to. I'm looking for some help on the vocals. Yes it is me singing.... badly I must say but I was the only one around tonight Tell me why it sucks and how to fix it please!

Thanks,
    Jake

http://www3.sympatico.ca/richardsja/...owjamfinal.mp3

Thanks
    I wish MY vocs sucked like that.

It sounds like you have a good voice, pitch is mostly there, though you waver a bit. Nothing like me - I'm the King of Wavering (trademark pending).

The level on the vocs is a bit low, so it's hard to pick up detail, but the vocal tone is thin. It sounds, my best guess, like that's either the signal chain or post-processing that's doing that, rather than a problem with your natural voice.

Are you EQing at all? What mic are you using? How close are you standing?

Without knowing the answers to these questions, I'd say to cut the presence (2-4k) some, bring the level way up, and see if it sounds closer to what you like. High mids would be the next thing I'd cut, if that didn't do it.

Nice changes, BTW, and I like the guitar sound. Not that you asked...

Thanks

Sounds pretty good

I'm actually listening to your song while I'm typing...hehe. I think its sounds pretty good myself except for certain parts.......but they can be easily fixed. I think you have the same problem as I do. I think my voice sounds like ass so I sing a little to weak. Try singing a little stronger and more confident and I think it'll sound good. Catchy song though.....overall sounds really good

Just drink a few beers, redo it, and post again....I promise it'll sound better

Led

Thanks
    I listened to it a couple times. Cool sounding tune man. It sounds to me that your vouce would be damn good sounding if you let it be heard. I hear some trailing off at the end of phrases. They are not being finished strongly and therefore go a little flat. Keep the energy up through the whole phrase and finish it. It sounds like you may not be breathing and singing from your diaphragm properly and therefore not getting the proper support which doesn't help intonation. Plus it sounds like you are singing timidly which doesn't help intonation either.

All that being said, it sounds like you have a good sounding voice and that if you worked with it (maybe some lessons?) it would sound quite good. Especially for the style of music this song is.

Keep on singing
    John

Thanks
    Your voice sounds pretty good but you seem to be missing some notes here and there.....you're a little flat at times.First off make sure you have plenty of Monitoring Volume when you are tracking your vocals.......you must be able to hear yourself singing to lay a decent track without flats or sharps....try doubling your lead vocal on another track also once you get the pitch issues taken care of.

You're on your way,you just need to hear yourself enough to keep from falling flat on some of the notes.

Thanks

Try this little vocal excercise:

Make yourself yawn. As you yawn, make a sound. Don't worry about hitting any certain pitch. Continue to hold that note and notice how relaxed your vocal cords and throat feel. This is how it should feel whenever you sing.

Power comes from correct breathing. You should use your diaphram "push" the sound out, not your throat!

Confidence is strictly mental, but essential for good delivery & pitch.

Your voice is like any other instrument. It takes practice to improve.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Listen to M. Brane! He's so right it makes me wanna spit!
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trojka
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trafo

Thanks
    bring up the vocals! they are too far back in the mix. but you did say you're uncomfortable singing still right? well that's how you mixed it, sang it, etc.

listen to mbrane. open up and let it out. sing like you mean it, like you want us to hear you. your missed notes don't sound like you have an issue with pitch for some reason. they sound like a lack of confidence and practice. Try singing some scales for a while ('do-re-me, etc.) and concentrate on pitch.

Check out this book. It's very good with some excellent excercises. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Thanks
    Wow... Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate them. Yah, I'm just starting to sing. I've always carried decent pitch (not perfect) but you never realize how bad you sing until you record yourself. I am seriously thinking about getting some vocal training.

Oh dafduc. The vocal chain sucks. Its a Shure SM58 direct into my soundcard (which has a mic preamp). I did a bit of eq'ing but only to what I thought sounded good. I boosted the upper frequencies because it sounded real flat, and a little in the low end. I can't remember what frequencies as I'm at work now and I dont have my stuff with me. My distance to the mic was about 3 inches.

Thanks
    I guess theres not many people on during the day like me......I get to surf at my office.

Thread Information