I Need Help With Recording Outdoors

Walter Tore

I have been trying to record myself in my 1 man band configuration, while playing on the street, in front of the local music store. I am not at all satified with what I am getting. It sounds way too thin and tinny to my ears. Could some of you knowledgable guys give me some pointers?
Here is my set up:

Vocals/harp - going through a Rode NT1 mic, about 12" from my mouth. This mic also picks up the national steel guitar, and the high hat cymbal(on my right foot).

The 2nd mic, an AT3035, was placed just to the lefft of the kick drum, at eye level. This is about 2-3' from the vocal mic.

I ran them into an ART TPS mic preamp. The vocal mic was set to the warm vocal preset, and the 30305 was set to the nuetral preset. I kept the gains below the red.

This went to a Tascam DA-30 DAT recorder. I kept the levels around 8.

I mixed it through Samplitude Master 6.5 recording software. I added a bit of compression, mids on the vocal mic, and maximized the volume.

Here are the results of my first attempt. Thanks Walter

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3118&alid=983

Sounds good enough to me with what you got. But if you really want to change it:

Get rid of the mikes, preamp, and DA-30.

All you need to sound great is a couple of 57's and a portastudio 424 cassette tape recorder.
Then it will be OK to overdrive the signal a little and that will get you a less tinny sound.

Hi Bluemouse. It sure is a small world. This forum has been a big help to me with choosing my computer, recording gear, and recording.

reel buzzer: I take it by your tag that you are into tape. I will keep my eyes open for an opportunity to do it the way you suggest. Thanks. Walter

hey there Walter,
I listened to your Live on the street stuff, and I thought that it sounded pretty good. The thing with out doors, is it's very hard to get it to sound like indoors. Alot of the sound just goes away into the air and doesn't get bounced back to the microphone. This is just my opinion though....certainly could be wrong.
On the same note though....I love your stuff so much. I think I have all of your songs. I wish I could buy you a new washing machine....and I too wonder why we can't live a good life on 8 or 9 bucks an hour. I hope Mocha is well. I really feel for you man.
Take care. Jason

JasonBird said:

On the same note though....I love your stuff so much. I think I have all of your songs. I wish I could buy you a new washing machine....and I too wonder why we can't live a good life on 8 or 9 bucks an hour. I hope Mocha is well. I really feel for you man.
Take care. Jason

Thanks Jason. Thanks for writing that review on me too. I did some, IMO, cool stuff under the Land Of Mojo album, and just recorded some good stuff tonight. Did you hear Mocha's Last Party album? I can send you a copy. It is 2 cd's long. Thanks for keeping me going! Walter

My best live outdoor recording have been from my hi-8 video camera. Really. Ive had recoding gear set up, mics all over the place and the camcorder still did a better job.

Back