I may be slow...but I do crappy work (late cover #2)

Jagular

Well, I said in the last cover thread that there were a few songs that touched me here recently. Here is the second one (and last one for now). There was one more that I wanted to do, but I just don't have the time. Apologies to that person (you know who you are :D). I intend to keep that one in reserve for the next cover challenge ;) :D.

Well, I spent just over 1.5 hours on this. Let me know especially what you think about the guitar sound. I am using these covers to experiment with the guitar sounds. In fact, if I like this I will probably go back and fix up crawdad's tune quick too :D. I haven't heard this except on my puter speakers. I'm gonna burn it and listen in the car tomorrow. Hopefully it won't blow too badly.

Anyway...all the regular excuses apply here. I would have liked more time to rehears the vocal & guitar part (that's all that's here), but it turned out OK...so I kept it :D.

Anyway...without further adieu.... Chris Harris cover (yeah another one :rolleyes: ;) :D)

December

Chris' version (in case your new here and actually haven't heard it yet)

Oh yeah...I took a couple liberties with lyrics ;) :D (don't kill me Chris) :eek:

I'm at work right now. gotta go watch one of the daughters at softball tourny in Troy tonite, but I`ll listen as soon as I get back. I was up in your neighborhood last weekend gettin the boy squared away for school, maybe sometime we can hook up for an irish coffee.

Toki987 said:
I'm at work right now. gotta go watch one of the daughters at softball tourny in Troy tonite, but I`ll listen as soon as I get back. I was up in your neighborhood last weekend gettin the boy squared away for school, maybe sometime we can hook up for an irish coffee.

That would be :cool: Where's he going to school?

Sorry Man,,

hehe, that school statement was for Auburncatfish. I guess it just drifted over here somehow.

:eek:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Toki987
I'm at work right now. gotta go watch one of the daughters at softball tourny in Troy tonite, but I`ll listen as soon as I get back.

:)

Toki987 said:
Sorry Man,,

hehe, that school statement was for Auburncatfish. I guess it just drifted over here somehow.

:eek:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Toki987
I'm at work right now. gotta go watch one of the daughters at softball tourny in Troy tonite, but I`ll listen as soon as I get back.

:)

lol...still would be fun though :D

Sounds good. Vocals up front. Guitar could use just a bit of juice, maybe a little bottom end IMHO. Tone is nice.

Joe

a fine rendition. The cat writes good tunes dont he? :) I liked the open sound of the voice, it didnt sound confined to the mic, like it was gettin a bit of the room. The guitar was good but level was a bit low in places. Played well, sung well, recorded well here.

Bump

I at least want Chris to hear this before it drops into oblivion. :D

7 replies and 4 are mine :D:D...Did I forget to put on my deoderant? :D:D

Smokepole - Thanks for the listen. When I listened to it in the car yesterday I came to the conclusion that the guitars sounded a little squashed. I didn't think I used that much compression. Going to have to go back and look at that one. It may have happened in the tracking with the gain staging (used a compressor during tracking). I did like the overall sound of them ok (not awesome) if they were just a little less squashed sounding.

Toki - Thanks. See my comments about the guitar above. And yes, the man do know how to write a song :D

Jagular said:
Bump

I at least want Chris to hear this before it drops into oblivion. :D
Man, speaking of oblvion, I've been kinda' "oblvivious" to the clinic since I lost the ability to play guitar, lol.

I'm really sorry I didn't jump in here sooner. VERY NICE!!!

I don't even hear a hint of any DI'd acoustic. Sounds warm and wonderful to me...If it's over-compressed, then I like over-compression, lol.

..and your voice...Man, this is great. It means a ton to me that you did this song...not just that you did it, but what you said in your post.

thanks a ton, I'll be back in here soon, whether you like it or not :D

-chris

Good job on a good tune!

The guitars are nice and full, but could use just a bit of sparkle on top.

I know if I can hear the compressor working on the vocal it's pretty obvious. Some sibilance on there.. maybe less compressor and more de-esser. Watch that gating too.;)

Performance is great!:)

HEY! No cover of a CH tune is complete without the autotune! :D

Good job on a very good tune. I couldn't even get a click track down in an hour and a half. There's a minor tuning or intonation issue, but the guitar tone sounds pretty good over there.

erichenryus - I love this song too. That's why I did a cover :D. There are quite a few really good songs coming out of this place IMHO…this one and the Crawdad one I did just happened to be mostly in the style I sing and that is close to my heart. Sorry…I like sappy, Country tinted songs ;) :D. I toyed with the idea of throwing bg vocals in, but 1) I just didn't have time 2) If I did, I probably would have wanted to keep adding more and more instrumentation as well and it would have ended up being a full production. And since Chris did such a damn fine job of that plus the superb strings (David & Heidi)… I really didn't want to start down that road…so I left it raw. :D. Thanks for the listen :D

Pedullist - Thanks for the listen & compliment :)

Chris - What happened? Why did you lose the ability to play guitar? Or are pulling my chain? :D Hope everything's alright. I'm glad you liked it. That's the biggest concern doing a cover here for me. Sometimes you can interpret somebody else's stuff in a way that they don't care for, although this really didn't stray too far from the original. I have been experimenting with the guitar tone. I think I found a tone I can start to live with on the scratch tracks of the next song I'm writing. Like in this song, it is mostly mic'd, but I am mixing in some (very little) of the DI signal with the Eq in the mic's & lower mids boosted a little to try to give the old Celeb a little more meaty, full tone. Then I went back and remixed "Miss Her So" using the same technique and I think it sounds better. I think I may have a guitar tone I can use mixing in with other instruments at least. Still, you can't beat the sound of a really nice sounding guitar recorded well. Especially for naked stuff.

Oh & PS...I should have listened to you in the first place. I did one take with the capo on the second fret and it was just a tad too low for me to do just right. Third fret was the ticket. Fourth fret may have worked for me to...but then my Celeb starts sounding like a mandolin up there :D:D.

M.Brane - Thanks. Yeah…I'm still trying to figure out how to use this stuff. It's still pretty hit and miss…twirl the nobs & push the buttons :D… but I 'm starting to learn thanks to you guys. I did a really stupid thing on this one. I was in such a hurry I forgot to turn off my wife's computer (mine is bad enough, but two going :rolleyes: ). The mic was facing right at her computer. I usually have the gate on the compressor (my wonderful 3630 :D) set so the gate is closed with just the background noise going (my computer) but still so it naturally picks up my breaths and vocal in the mic without cutting out. The other computer on increased the noise floor, so that and the subsequent "remove silence" in Cakewalk trying to get rid of the bg noise may have gotten a little funky a couple of times :D. When I move my computer in the closet (and remember to turn off my wife's - lol) those problems should largely be solved. Plus when I get a new soundcard and start recording in 24 bit it should give me enough more headroom where I can do less compressor (especially 3630 compressor) during tracking. Thanks for the input :)

pglewis - Hey I said the same thing about 2 months or so ago when I stared here and heard all these folks doing their 1.5 challenges and it was true. Now I can do a click track (which I did in this one) and lay down 2 so-so guitar tracks pan them left and right and record an ok vocal in just over that :D. Still not too impressive, but it's getting better :D. Yeah I've been hearing some intonation problems here and there with this guitar too. I hope it's not going the way of my elec guitar (it needs a new neck and it is largely unplayable as the intonation is so whacked) :(. I may have to take this in and have them take a look at it. :( Oh and regarding autotune…I just saw a post somewhere a couple of days ago for a free (I think) DX autotune plug-in . Can't remember. I may have to go find it and do another version of this one ;) :D. I've never used it before, so that might make it even more interesting hahahahahaha…..damn…now that might be fun :D.

David - Thanks man & thanks for listening. You can do a hell of a lot wrong with a good song and have it still sound good :).

this is a new direction the clinic seems to be moving in....cover's of each other's songs.....I like it! :)

Nice work Jag.....good singing and the guitar sounds good. I wish i got that good a sound on mine. Maybe I need to use a bit of compression.
Good work on this.....now do another!

Well............ I'm waiting! :D

....mmmhhhh.....hate this threads where I have nothing negative to say.... makes me feel so....mmhhh green...as the rookie that I am.....grrrrr................LOL

great mix!

Lt. Bob - Thanks…yeah I think the guitar sound is getting better. I may be hitting the point of diminishing returns soon on the sound. After all, an Ovation Celeb can only sound so good :(. Doesn't mean I won't keep trying to squeeze every last possible good sound out if it though :D. Another one's in the pipe…scratch guitar & vocal track for a new song I wrote. I'm playing with the guitar sound a little bit yet (Yeah I know, it's kind of stupid to spend so much time on a scratch track, but I'm learning & experimenting with the sound so when I do the real tracks I can get something that sounds a little better hopefully). I'm just waiting for this thread to die for a little bit before I expose all y'all to my experimentation again :D.

groovejunkie - I hear ya man…I think I need to find a key bind for "Wow that sounds great to me". That’s predominantly what I say around here. Maybe when I get monitors someday and stop listening through the puter speakers I will have more constructive comments. Oh yeah…plus learning what the hell I'm doing would be helpful too :D. Thanks for listening.

twist Thanks for the compliment. Yeah this was fun to sing. I may take another crack at the vocal. It was a first take and there are some things there that I would like to do just a tad differently (& better). Might be a nice little project some time when my creativity takes a walk and leaves me sitting at home. I may even raise it another half step and see what happens. :D It's a great song so I had a good time singing it.

Back