I know this mix still sucks a lot..

Good vox mix, then get's buried

groovejunkie my man ! Got your email, we'll be getting together for a collab in the 'Apple Tree'.

Ok, I love the intro drums on this. The bass is mixed way to low in the very, very beginning ?

Vocals are mixed nice and hot, on top of the mix and WAY out front ... good job.

I understand ALL the lyrics without struggling, the first listen.

At the first change, at 1:23, there are a lot more effects on the voice, and this limits the amount of clarity of the voice. The drums are a little loud here, they are stepping on the 'lyric hook' here.

At 2:07, that nice sweet hook ... is still a little stepped on by the instruments.

Now at 2:30, the vocals are mixed GREAT again.

At 2:48, these vocals get buried a little bit, because you've added lots of effects and I like the contrast between the two vocal sections.

At 3:13, the vocals are really becoming almost garbled, because the keyboard is really stepping on the frequency range at which we need to listen most to hear the vocals. CONSULT your meters please.

If the elements of the mix are louder than the vocal track on the meters ... well ... then they need to come down. Don't be tempted to keep pushing the vocal up, bring the instruments down around the vocal.

This is a good song, just remember what the lead instrument is at all times, you and your vocal.

Good song, good performance, take the instruments down in the sections where you put a lot of effects on the vocal, because we lose the impact of the vocal there, it gets mushy in the mids and upper mids sometimes.

This has a very 80's feel to it to me with a bit of industrial built in...

I agree that the vocals sound well mixed. The reverb was a little much to my ears, but that is a subjective call.

I liked the interplay between the instruments, but I felt the arrangement could use something more to bring it more to life. You have a good voice and that is the best part of the song.

:)

GJ... again... I hope you get more reviews for this, or ANYTHING you do up here... because you really try to listen to a lot of other people's stuff.... and you go retrieve threads that don't get many responses.

That deserves people's respect, and for my part I'll review EVERYTHING you put up (barring death, or other act of God :D)

SONG:

Drums sound cool. Interesting bass sound. Could come up a few db. Really neat rhythm. Are you cutting the lows on guitars? Roll 'em off below 150Hz... I'm hearing the dreaded gtr/bass clash down there.

Can you pan the snare drum (slightly) away from the lead vocal? They're right on top of each other.

The "ambience" on your "kit" (samples) doesn't match that of the song... it would sound more professional with a good room reverb, some dryer samples... and then the right "blend" so that everything came together better.

"F'ing Reality".... in the chorus... some of those are sung "flat".

I really, really dig the percussion and rhythm in your work, gj.

Not bad :)

Chad

there's something really cool about this song.. when the vocals first came in they sounded great.. are you using ACID? I liked the vocals! I didn't care for the guitar sound.. especially the flange parts.. it sounded like a practice amp or something small in size.. just preference.. was it a pod? the vocals got a bit weaker as the song went on, but I think you could get a better take..

One thing, when the feel of the guitar and vocals change @:57, I thought the drums should have changed there.. It happens again later.. I dont know if you call it a bridge or whatever, but I listened a few times and thought the same thing everytime.. also the part @1:22 sounds flat..'its just a lie' I think your saying.. It sounds a bit flat in a few other parts too, but you have a good sound to your voice....

cool song..

Pat - thanks man, you always take so much time to listen and to analyze!! you made a really cool todo-sheet for this song for me - and I'm gonna try the most of that :):):)

jake-owa - would have been nice if you've could been more precise what you didn't like or how to change it.. anyway, thanks for listening

boydrj - that's where I wasn't sure at all - the reverb in the chorus - maybe it's really too much..
..about the 80's feel - s**t! wasn't ment to be a retro-sound; maybe when I take those double-base parts away and change the synth-sound I could make it more modern?

Chad - I do that because I know how much I need the answers, and how impatient I'm waiting sometimes for them, and then, when nothing comes I start thinking that the song must be a piece of crap...and I don't wish nobody to feel like that :):D
- the bass -LOL- It was a guitar played(1year ago) thru a bass-effect, and that's why it sounds strange; but now I have a bass and will record it again
- are you shure that the "ambience" is wrong, and not the kit itself? I'm not shure of that, but how I said, I don't want to let it sound like 80's!

once again, thank u all 4 listening!

Harry

B.SABBATH - you posted while I was typing the reply..
the vocals are recorded in Cubase SX and have a compressor+reverb+delay on them; the flanged-guitars and the bass are the old tracks which have been recorded 1year ago thru a Boss GT6 but with a 25$ guit, but I'll replace them in the next version.
I also think about makin the song 10bpm faster, maybe it gets more power then..

thx for your ear!

I agreee with most of the mix comments. Really needs a better gtr sound. Dig the lyrics and the vocals sounded good. You have a great voice.....This is a good song and deserves a good reworking.
Myx

some of the instr't tones need beef, agree. The mix is really cool though to me, I like the vocal effect. The drums sound good. I`d move that first guitar off the center a little and let the bass and kick out more, after turning them up a little.

Myx - thanks for listening, I know the guits are the weak point in the mix - I'm glad you like the song :):)

Toki - I'm gonna record record the bassline again; the guits have been panned to slight in some spots..
thanks for listening, Toki!

Back