I helped out a little mixing a Van Halen tribute band...

Ford Van

Banned
I was at the studio the other night and helped the owner out with these 4 mixes for this Van Halen tribute band.

Mainly, I dialed in the guitars and effects, then mastered it.

Fun times as I am a HUGE Van Halen fan! :D

We only had about 6 hours total to mix and master these 4 songs, so go easy on the nit picky comments. This is basically a "get a gig" demo for this band.

Only another BBS, most of the negative comments had to do with the singer. First, THIS singer is a girl. Second, she knows she can't sing like DLR very well and is just trying to "make do". Third, she is HOT and in her 30's! LOL

Anyway. Enjoy!

The link for Really Got Me doesn't seem to work.

I had to listen to this cause I'm a huge VH fan also. I can't make any mix comments because there's nothing I could offer to you in that sense.

Listening to Feel your Love. I Love the guitar tone but maybe a little too much reverb? I know EVH used a lot as well though. Guitar player is good. Man I wish EVH still played like that. The only problem I heard on Feel Your Love is that the guy didn't play the screw up that EVH kept on the original after the solo ;)

I know you already pointed out the issues with the singer but I have to bring it up also. DLR couldn't sing that great but he had that deeper ballsy voice if that makes sense. The "ohh ohh" etc in Running with the Devil doesn't have the same impact. Since she's hot though can you post a picture of her so I can get past that? :D

Anyways they sound like a good band despite my reservations on the singer. Hope they don't read that. :) :cool:

Thanks for the listen!

Ford Van said:
First, THIS singer is a girl. Second, she knows she can't sing like DLR very well and is just trying to "make do". Third, she is HOT and in her 30's! LOL
Doesn't that defeat the point of a tribute band? That's sort of like having a female Elvis impersonator. The mix was good though.

Nice sounds Ed...And I actually liked the uniqueness of the singer. Gave it an interesting flair. I have a version of Stephen Pearcy doing a VH song, and it's way out there, but cool.

You got a very good tone on the guitars. Really good.

I liked the tone of the guitars too. Sounded like everything was tracked very well but the balance of the mix is a bit lopsided with that overpanned guitar.

I know you only dialed in the guitars Ford and I liked that part, slap the engineer for me though. is he deaf in the left ear? :D

<after edit>

P.S. I could tell it was missing that behringer UB802 flair on the output stage :p

LemonTree said:
Sounded like everything was tracked very well but the balance of the mix is a bit lopsided with that overpanned guitar.

I know you only dialed in the guitars Ford and I liked that part, slap the engineer for me though. is he deaf in the left ear? :D

Ever listen to VH?

Fire up Panama - it's panned HARD LEFT - he actually panned it less than the original - thus my comment above (I was joking with him - I assume he got it - LOL) :D

yeah I listened to VH a LOT when I was musicaly unaware. Now my head fits firmly on my shoulders ;) 7DB is a LOT, I'm not saying it shouldn't be that far over but fuck me silly...it's way too loud

LemonTree said:
yeah I listened to VH a LOT when I was musicaly unaware. Now my head fits firmly on my shoulders ;) 7DB is a LOT, I'm not saying it shouldn't be that far over but fuck me silly...it's way too loud

On my sytem, the original is worse than Ed's. (off balance)

Maybe that's why Van Halen never made it anywhere..... ;)

LemonTree said:
I liked the tone of the guitars too. Sounded like everything was tracked very well but the balance of the mix is a bit lopsided with that overpanned guitar.

<after edit>

P.S. I could tell it was missing that behringer UB802 flair on the output stage :p

Yeah, I really only had a say on the guitars, and that was mostly because I knew the few little secrets for the Van Halen guitar sound. Otherwise, the rest of the mix is all the other guy. It wasn't my session to speak out about things, so I keep my mouth shut like a good hired person does! :)

I love this neg rep left by some jackass:

"Pretty mediocre - very thin, over-effected, and lacks punch. Considering your attitude I expected a lot more. All talk and little talent to show for it."

LOL

Ford Van said:
Yeah, I really only had a say on the guitars, and that was mostly because I knew the few little secrets for the Van Halen guitar sound. Otherwise, the rest of the mix is all the other guy. It wasn't my session to speak out about things, so I keep my mouth shut like a good hired person does! :)

I'd say you done a fine job at what you did. Good luck brother

Ford Van said:
I was at the studio the other night and helped the owner out with these 4 mixes for this Van Halen tribute band.

Mainly, I dialed in the guitars and effects, then mastered it.

Fun times as I am a HUGE Van Halen fan! :D

We only had about 6 hours total to mix and master these 4 songs, so go easy on the nit picky comments. This is basically a "get a gig" demo for this band.

Only another BBS, most of the negative comments had to do with the singer. First, THIS singer is a girl. Second, she knows she can't sing like DLR very well and is just trying to "make do". Third, she is HOT and in her 30's! LOL

Anyway. Enjoy!

Hey I am having fun listening, I love the guitar tone and the playing.

Back