i have an mp3 conversion question please help...

czar of bizarre

hey guys heres the deal. i converted a wav to mp3 using sound forge. i did this so i could load the song on iuma.com however something weird continues to happen (this has happened before) i save the wav as an mp3 and i choose 128 as the bit rate (which the site says to do). however the weird thing is this. when i load the mp3 and play it from REAL PLAYER the song repeats 3 times. what in the hell is that all about???? i dont mean the song plays and starts over at 0. i mean the song plays and another comes on at 3:45 and another one comes on at 7:30. basiccaly the clock says 10 minutes for a 3 minute song. does anyone have a clue about this?

this is VERY bizarre

czar

Sorry I dont have an answer for you, but wanted to let you know that that is weird. People dont like musicmatch software, but I use it for only converting wavs to mp3s and thats it and it works fine so far.

John

IUMA re-converts your file to rma format (not true mp3 streaming), and since in the conversion, things can get corrupted, they often do.

Older versions of soundforge use the old xing mp3 codec, and RM bought xing out. However, the old xing codec is still free-ware, so real does everything they can to eliminate it (so they can make money of course). The old xing isn't very good anyways, so scrap it.

Best thing I could recommend is upload to a site that does TRUE mp3 streaming and NO down-conversion.

W.

guys this is happening BEFORE i even load it to the site. i convert to mp3 and i lsiten back from soundforge and real player. the real player clock says :10:34 for the total length of the track. this wrong because i know the song is a lil of 3 minutes..........real player......real player argh!!!!! its driving me nuts!

czar

Use soundforge to export to WAV, and then use a better encoder on the file. Lastly, use something other than real-player to listen, it's lowsy. Winamp is free, and works almost 100% of the time.

Here's a list of encoders I put together a long time ago:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/discus/messages/40/34.html?984187712

I believe the russian site for LAME disapeared, but if you do a search, you can find the official LAME site, which I believe is:

http://www.sulaco.org/mp3/

W.

MusicMatch uses a modified version of LAME....

Since the LAME source code is free, tons of companies adopt it, and charge you for its use.

Only problem(s) I have with MusicMatch is they threw in a bunch of stuff into the files that tags on their copyrights, to get a high-bit-rate encode you'll have to buy the software, and it's so bloody much of a resource hog (300 features aside from encode).

I'm a *nix hound, so prefer not to deal with windows software, but if you are going to, mine as well use some less hoggish software! Check out the LAME page, there is at least 30 links to alternate software. And yes, MusicMatch is on the list, I just don't want to pay for a good encode.

(Or at least something that takes less than a minute to load on a 300MHz system..)

W.

Encoders

For anything above 128kbps or VBR, I'm with waldo... go with LAME. Still rules on high quility encodes, IMO.

Last time I compared (which has been a while), Fraunhofer still ruled on quality at or below 128kbps... though I'm of the opinion that Fraunhofer is EEEEEviiiiil.

And yeah, get rid of real player as soon as possible (and its useless systray spawn too). You'll thank yourself for it.

Actually, all the songs I have posted to IUMA remain in MP3 format. I always compress using the LAME encoder's VBR (variable bit rate) compression. I have downloaded my songs from IUMA, and they are exactly the same as the version I uploaded, variable bit rates and all. The only time they get converted is if you choose to listen to the "streamed" version as opposed to the "download" version, and even in that case, they are streamed as 128 kbps mp3 files, unless you choose to listen to them as "Real" files.

As stated, I was refering to the 'streaming'. The mp3 playback they have is not true streaming, just 'play as downloaded'.

Plus his comment was that real-player was used, therefor, I assumed that meant he was using their RM streaming, as also mentioned.

I'm very aware of the technologies used :)

W.

just curious I think I ask before but what about the cakewalk pro 9 encoder any comments ?..Gag

i saved the song as an mp3 format in sound forge. when i play it back and compare it to the wav it sounds the same. however when i look at the TIME/LENGTH of the song it is different. in real player the song is like 10 minutes and the song REPEATS twice after it plays once. this is madness. i used real player BEFORE i uploaded the songs. whats wrong with real player? lol......this is crazy.

czar

ps thanx for the links im on my quest to get something better for mp3's.

Not sure about cakewalk pro 9, I think (but not sure) it's the fraunhaufer codec. Only it's the free version, not the pro.

It's okay, but, see above :)

czar> realplayer has always been screwey, it probably just doesn't recognize the vbr headers in the mp3 file, so it thinks to play all the 'chunks' in the file, being as if it's vbr, there may be more than 2 sets, and it will play them all, thus making you listen to it the same number of headers in the file...

W.

Back