I have finally finished mixing my 'album', now I'm looking for feedback!

A little music theory. Briefly: When you find a frequency that you'd like to cut (especially in resonant instruments, like voice or strings) you also want to cut the octave of that frequency (and occasionally the sub-octave (the one below) . Each octave doubles the Hz. i.e. A=440Hz is standard tuning, therefore A an octave above would be 880Hz, 1760Hz, etc. the sub-octave would, of course, be 220Hz. Hope this helps.

AFA cutting the Ss, I'm talking about the source...the actual recorded track. Physically find the S/T/TS/K/P, whatever and reduce it in the actual wave. So the VERY beginning of the signal chain.

Thanks for the lesson. That is totally clear. But in the example of a harsh tone, if I find the harsh sounds at a frequency of 2000 Hz, I'm not sure how/if that means that that same harshness can also be found in octaves up and down (1000 Hz, 4000 Hz, 8000 Hz). But I'll see what I can find on this theory as well, it's all very interesting!

Drums need more clarity .A bit louder Would also help to have a bit more variance in the patterns . Reverb is sometimes a tough effect to work with . It's easy to over-do it a little . I am guilty of it myself . But subtracting some of the reverb from certain instruments can work to clear things up a bit . I also low pass at about 800-900 kh and high pass at 200-300 depending on the tune . There is a great reverb called ambience . It's freeware easy to find . It has a great dampening effect for the frequencies . And are you using a bus for reverb or is it in the track effects bin ?

Just to reiterate what others have said...the vocal is a bit loud, but not all of it. Work on those consonants Ss, Ts, Ps and some of the sibilance of long Ss and Shs that can accompany close up micing of vocals. The ways suggested in earlier posts to work with those should fix this. LOL, I like the "licking my ear" quote.

The drums should come up as well. It doesn't need a lot. You could add a bit of compression so they don't overpower when you turn them up. Also, don't go crazy with the compression and flatten them out. Just a touch will bring them up and not overload or flatten them.

I hope you take all of this criticism in the way it is intended. We're all just trying to make suggestions. What you do with those suggestions is up to you. Over all, these are great sounding songs and some suggestions will be personal preference. But, like with the vocals and drums, if you get multiple people suggesting change, you can guess those are more points that need to be addressed.

Drums need more clarity .A bit louder Would also help to have a bit more variance in the patterns . Reverb is sometimes a tough effect to work with . It's easy to over-do it a little . I am guilty of it myself . But subtracting some of the reverb from certain instruments can work to clear things up a bit . I also low pass at about 800-900 kh and high pass at 200-300 depending on the tune . There is a great reverb called ambience . It's freeware easy to find . It has a great dampening effect for the frequencies . And are you using a bus for reverb or is it in the track effects bin ?

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I'm also guilty of overdoing reverb. I guess it started way back when I was a worse singer and guitar player. Then a reverb tends to mask/hide errors. As I've become a better player and singer, I kept using maybe a little too much reverb. But then again, I think it does fit the overall sound of the songs and the ambience. Maybe just a little too much :)

Just to reiterate what others have said...the vocal is a bit loud, but not all of it. Work on those consonants Ss, Ts, Ps and some of the sibilance of long Ss and Shs that can accompany close up micing of vocals. The ways suggested in earlier posts to work with those should fix this. LOL, I like the "licking my ear" quote.

The drums should come up as well. It doesn't need a lot. You could add a bit of compression so they don't overpower when you turn them up. Also, don't go crazy with the compression and flatten them out. Just a touch will bring them up and not overload or flatten them.

I hope you take all of this criticism in the way it is intended. We're all just trying to make suggestions. What you do with those suggestions is up to you. Over all, these are great sounding songs and some suggestions will be personal preference. But, like with the vocals and drums, if you get multiple people suggesting change, you can guess those are more points that need to be addressed.

I absolutely love this feedback. I can't wait to get back in my studio and work on these things. I will hopefully be able to re-upload these songs for further feedback, if that's okay with everybody. I will definitely try to tackle the drums and the vocals.

can argue with what you've done. vg production. be careful of long songs and arrangements

Thanks, yes I reckon especially 'Mysteries' might be a little too long, but in my opinion, that song does have some variation in feeling, sensation, calmness and intensity. On my ablum, I have 10 tracks, with a total length of 43:00. So some long songs in there, and also some short ones. I added 2 songs which are <2 mins, which are basically musical transitions in between songs, like interludes. I don't see this too often on (commercially) succesfull music, but I think for my music it helps, and I like it :)

I have now tweaked some of the things mentioned here in the songs. I've uploaded them to soundcloud again here.

I spent most time working on the vocals and the drums. I especially raised the volume of the snare in most of the mixes.

The vocals are now pretty de-essed. Also, I got rid of some of the annoying sounds in between vocal lines.

Do you guys things the mixes are improved? I'd be very happy to hear your feedback again!

Does anyone have some new feedback maybe? Did the mixes improve in quality? I'm trying to finalize it, so I can complete putting together the album :)

Back