I downloaded Winamp, but something's wrong!

wjgypsy

It will play for almost 2 seconds, then it will stop and start re-buffering. I e-mailed waldo and asked him and he said that i would have to re-install the driver software for the sound card. But i got this computer used and it don't have the software! can anybody help me?

I don't know. The demo that came with Winamp played fine and it was 5 seconds! I also tryed to download Real player but it did the samething!

Oooh, well that's to be expected. By default, real player is set to "piece of shit" mode. The only way to get it out of that mode is to uninstall it.

I just found something!

if i switch the mp3 to lo-fi, which is crapy sounding, Winamp will play it. (but it pauses every 21 seconds, but luckily it's only one second and i can live with that.)

Does this help any on this problem?

zeke

ZEKE SAYER said:
I just found something!

if i switch the mp3 to lo-fi, which is crapy sounding, Winamp will play it. (but it pauses every 21 seconds, but luckily it's only one second and i can live with that.)

Does this help any on this problem?

zeke

Zeke,
Are you on high speed internet or dial up?If you are on dial up thats what your whole problem is.Nowhereradio wont stream any songs for me(lo-fi or hi-fi) and Im on cable.Your best bet is to download a song if you wanna hear the whole thing.I gave up on streaming from nowhere a long time ago.......BUT,if you are on dial up downloading is pretty much out of the question unless you only wanna listen to one song a day.

There's nothing wrong with your winamp.It's the bad stream thats the problem.

Slackmaster2K said:
Oooh, well that's to be expected. By default, real player is set to "piece of shit" mode. The only way to get it out of that mode is to uninstall it.

LMAO :D

Well, Zeke. your problem is definitely your connection from what you've indicated. Your player is having to rebuffer the song each time it runs out of buffered/downloaded song. there's your 21 seconds. I can only reccomend that you just download the song instead of trying to stream it. I just started making a library of everyone's Mp3's on my PC.. that way it's always there if I want to hear it.. and I never will have to wait for it to stream again. AND if the artist takes the song off there (Nowhere Radio) then I can still listen to it on my PC :D
peace out Dude.

I agree with Kramer.. It's probably more the streaming @Nowhere more than anything else.. try streaming from a different site and see if you have the same problem.. I disabled the streaming on my tunes because of people who don't visit this site who were complaining about the buffering..

It's not, he plays an mp3 off his harddrive, or CD, and it does the same thing.

OH, and B.SABBATH, that's because you rarely encode at a bit-rate that connections can handle!

W.

TheRealWaldo said:
B.SABBATH, that's because you rarely encode at a bit-rate that connections can handle! W.

I thought you said that LAME was the encoder to use for VBR? That's the only reason why I use it.. (CD-DA X-Tractor)

Is there some other encoder or bit rate I should be using?

B. Sabbath, VBR usually requires extremely high bitrates. There are certain VBR modes that you can use in particular programs (I use CDex) These different modes set the bit rate for the VBR.. however it is still not CBR but will in general use lover bit rates. VBR in it's normal mode will usually use very high bit rates throughout the mp3.

Waldo, unles he mentioned something to you aside from this thread.. His mp3 playback from HDD works fine as he said
"The demo that came with Winamp played fine and it was 5 seconds!"

EDIT: CDex uses the LAME encoder as well.

That's not what he told me in his e-mails! Only the 'winamp demo' worked, that short little 'lama' mp3, which is much smaller than the mp3's he's trying to play.

I've seen this problem before, and it was a result of a corrupted DirectSound driver.

W.

Oh yeah, and B.Sab, yep, LAME is the way to go, but you encode at VBR, with bitrates sometimes hitting in the 256 range. Only about 5% of the internet world can stream 256kb/s without buffering!

Don't worry though, the new NWR4 version will down convert for streams automatically, while keeping the download mp3 the same.

W.

yo waldo, don't get so upset. like I said
Waldo, unles he mentioned something to you aside from this thread..
I said ASIDE from this thread.. therefore accepting that there was a possibility that he had contacted you outside of this thread/forum.. I.E. EMAIL
maybe I understood you wrong but it seemed by your comment that you assumed that I was trying to say that there was outright no other problems.

I was under the impression from the information in this thread (because I didn't get emails from him outlining other problems) that Zeke was able to play MP3's from his HDD based on the fact that the demo played fine. His problem probably is that he's on such a slow connection.. but then again, since he hasn't mentioned how full MP3's play back from his Hard drive yet (in this thread) I would have no idea outside of his comment about the demo mp3 playing back fine which begged to suggest that he considered it to be sufficient evidence that pre downloaded MP3's (contained on his Hard drive) played back fine since this demo mp3 is "5 seconds!". His emphasis on those words seemed to indicate that he felt that this was a sufficient amount of time over the "2 seconds" that the player would play for before rebuffering.
He simply has not made any comments about similar problems with full mp3's that have already been downloaded to his PC yet on this thread.. so there's no way to tell yet.. But anyway... THAT's why I said what I did.

Wasn't upset at all man?!

"I e-mailed waldo and asked him and he said that i would have to re-install the driver software for the sound card"

As for the '5 second' mp3 compared to a full song, there is no way that the two could be compared. The reason is buffering (the whole issue here), a buffer often sits in the 5-30 second range (variable, because the buffer is actually based on data size, not time). Therefor, a 5, or even up to 30 second track would be the whole buffer, and there would be no need ever to re-buffer, as only one full length buffer would ever be required. Now, since playback only begins once the initial buffer is filled...

The issue occurs at every website he has tried, it happens with mp3's off of a CD he burned with mp3's on them, and it happens with mp3's downloaded, and played off of the hard-drive.

It's happening regardless of the player, and regardless of being connected to the internet or not.

In the many e-mails I have been exchanging with him over the past week or so, I've resolved that there is more than one software configuration issue with the machine. Normally, I would tell him to bring it down to my shop (Computer Service Center) and I would fix it for him, as he does not know how to locate and install drivers, or check for file corruption, etc.. But since he's nowhere near me, all I can do is recommend he takes it to a qualified tech near him.

W.

Once again, I'm not upset?! Don't know where you got that from man! ;)

hey no worries W. You see, I had no idea that he had other problems outside of streaming audio. (until your post about his emails) so when you said "That's not what he told me in his e-mails! " I felt like you were kinda upset or shouting. no hard feelings.. just wanted you to know why I thought that it was only pertaining to his streaming.

L8R

Just proper english bud! If I placed a period afterwards, the way it should be spoken, it would have been taken as a shot on you. By following it with an exclamation, the way it should be spoken, it would be taken as, well, an explanation!

W.

Back