I Don't Ever...think I'll get this mix right

Boo Radley

Headbobber
I need some help on this one. Something with the mix just isn't agreeing with me on this one, and I can't quite pinpoint it. Maybe I've listened too many times. Anyways, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Also, I could use some help with the title. Right now, I'm calling it "I Don't Ever..." which I'm thinking is a bit generic.

Thanks!!!

Brad

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=667746

those are some very nice tones. i would bring the mix more toward the center. it sounds like there are 2 or 3 percussionists this way.
i might replace that electronic sounding snare with a more traditional one and use a fuller cymbal crash on more dramatic points.

I like the mix a lot. I'm listening on laptop speakers and everything sounds fine. I like the way the bass and guitar sit. The voice is great too. I like the song.

Thanks for the comments.

Jjtcorsair...thanks, that makes me feel a lot better about things.

Swatsds, I will piddle around with some different snare sounds and see what happens. I really wanted to use something pretty lightweight, so I combined a "snares off" drum with a rim shot and that's what I got.

Also, I started off with some pretty full cymbols but switched because I thought they sounded a bit harsh. Maybe I can beef these up a bit while still keeping an easy going feel to the song.

Thanks,

Brad

My only nit pick would be the bass tone - it's all definition & some great standout of the mixness but, on headphones, it seems to need a little more bottom end.
IF you're using Lamb era Genesis or that era proggy as a bass template though you're right on the money.
The song - good mate, good.

Ray...that was part of what was bugging me about my mix...when I'd listen to it in my truck (oh sanctuary of listening perfection), it sounded muddy compared to other stuff. So...I pulled and pulled low end until that quit happening. That's what made the bass sound that way. I am going to mess with it though and try to find the sweet spot that gives some low balls without muddying things up.

The snare seems mostly right to me. I would certer it or at least move it more that way. My bigest nit is the vocals have a low boxyness to them.
The singing sounds good but is sounds a bit like a rag was over the mic.

Sounds like too much in the 100 to 200hz area. Possibly a lack of 5k too might thow some 15k at them too for air.

Ray has a point on the bass I think. Theres plenty of room in the song for more bottom in the bass. Not what jumped out at me though.

Pretty cool stuff! Doesn't need much work from what I can hear.

F.S.

Very strong heartfelt song - I get a real sense of emotion from the performance and the vocals. Playing and singing are spot on....

I agree that the vocals have a kind of bass heavy sound to them. Try opening up the vocals as suggested by FS. My mix sometimes calls for 1.5 K to get some clarity - so maybe try that too.

This has an almost live sound to it when you first hear it - I think it's the room on the guitar that gives it that feel.

The snare was not my favorite when I first heard it, but it grows on you after a while. I would keep it because it is unique.

Good One.....

:) :D :) :D

Thanks for the comments Idol and F.S. Sorry for the late replies, it's been a busy weekend.

F.S...how did you know a rag was over the mic? Did you dig up an old post of mine? I guess from now on I will go the coat hanger and panty hose route. ;)

I made the changes y'all suggested. I boosted the bass guitar by about 2db in the 80-100hz range, moved the snare a bit more to the middle, and made the eq changes to the vocals.

Check it out if you like...same link as before.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pag...m?bandID=667746

Freudian Slip said:
I'll check it out tomorrow in the studio:D

As far as the rag goes...... Your shitting me right :eek: :D

F.S.

This is from a thread I started on 2/27/07:

Boo Radley said:
For vocals, I use an AKG C3000B with a hand towel hanging in front of it as a pop filter, which I must say, works well in a pinch.

Let me congratulate you on being the winner of the first annual "Homerecording.com MP3 Mixing Clinic "Discriminating Listener Award." :D

Brad

Back