I Can't Remember - suprstar original

suprstar

It aint ez being green

This was actually tracked in a studio. We won a battle of the bands, so since the guy wasnt getting paid he was lazy as hell and the final mixes he gave us sucked. He gave me the raw tracks so I can play with em - it makes me realize how critical a good tracking environment is. I kinda already knew, but this little experiment really drives that point home. The original studio mix is on my 'songs' link on the site in my sig if youre interested in hearing the orig. I'd be interested in hearing feedback on either mix.

Very 90's sounding. Not too bad. The mix seems a little dark and unbalanced to me. I think it could use some better separation in the guitars. Maybe make em wider or get better definition between the layers. It's too guitar-mud and vocal heavy. The drums get murdered once the song picks up. The trick is to get the guitars sounding big without killing everything else. Easier said than done, but that's what it needs. Dropping those vocals back will help. They're way on top of the mix instead of being in the mix.

Agree with the Gerg, here. The singer sounds - and I'm not trying to diss anybody - like a 90's stereotype. The guy can hold a tune, so the single best bit of advice I can give him is to find his style and not try to sound like somebody else. He's literally mangling the words to make a contrived accent.

I liked the doubled solo very much. When the heavy guitars kick in, the song lacks gravitas. I'd be looking at a boost in overall volume, some work on the guitars, and maybe a drop to that note from a higher register from the bass. When that part of the song comes along, it should kick you in the balls.

-SC

Thanks both of ya, I made a few adjustments. 1 - A slight scoop on the master bus to hopefully brighten it up a bit. The guits are 2 tracks about 60% L/R, I'll mess with that.. I also made the drums a touch louder in the heavy parts and knocked the vox bus back about 1.5 db. I haven't posted a new mix yet, I'm still playing with it, it'll be up there eventually.

Sounds great,

I would just raise the Kick & Snare 2-3db and high pass the lead vox up a bit more i.e if your at 100hz try 150 or 170hz. and lower them a hair.

Good work.

I love this. Its the 4th time I've listened. This reminds me of my teenage years in the 90s. No the mix isn't perfect, but what a great song. I'd love to hear more of these.

I'm on crappy speakers ATM but I think the vocals are overshadowing the rhythm guitar and drums, I guess just bring the vox down. Lead gtr level sounds fine.

Ive been dinking with it for a week now, listening to it in the car / office / stereo, etc. I did everything I said above and more, I've listened to this song so many times I'm done with it for a while. Hopefully it sounds better, none of the tweaks were too major. Thanks for listening and helping with the feedback!

Listening only to 2nd version and typing as I listen...

Vox reverb doesn't match rest of band. Way too much. Dial back the reverb until you can just not hear it. Or switch the reverb patch to something different. It might be the wrong one to use on this song.
Snare needs work, not enough body?? too much reverb?? too much compression?? I'm not sure.....
No kick thump... or bottom for the matter. I hear the bass but only in the 600 - 900hz range.

Great song. Funny enough, I downloaded the original version many years ago. I gave it a nother listen today. Comparitively, the lazy engineer did the vox nicely. I like his snare and guitar tracks better too, but his bass and kick are lacking. He also brick-walled the mastering, so there's some harshness to get through.

Still, the quality of the song and performance shine through; your version or his. This is a great rockin song and reminds me of why I downloaded all your songs 3 or 4 years ago....

Everything is big and in the face except the snare which is wimpy. I would take off the reverb, dry it up and bring it front and centre. If you want to keep the sanre reverb you'll have to make room elsewhere like backing off or carving a hole in the guitars

Back