I am WATYF... hear me drum... ;o)

Hey,

Clay (because everyone else mentioned it ;)) sounded good, weird vocal effects, but excellent, how did you pull them off? :)

What equipment was used in these recordings? (Mixer, preamps etc)

eric: Yeah... there's a good bit of compression on the finished product. It took a little of the edge off the cymbals in a few places. Thanks for the comments... I understand about the cher thing. :D

G: Thanks man. I will let y'all know when it's finally available.

Trip: Hey man... I didn't hear that thing at :18 so I'm not sure if it was intentional. :p I'm not surprised aboot the clips. The CD I used was a burned copy of the master that hadn't been normalized yet, so when I was making the sound clips, I compressed them a little and boosted the gain. It peaked a little here and there, but I wasn't worried since it was just sound clips for the website. And it's the little stuff like the hi-hat that you mentioned that I probably would have changed if I could have.... but oh well. :) Thanks for the feedback.

mix: Dude... good to see you again. Thanks for the listen. Yeah... the drums were tracked at the church in the main auditorium. It's not my set, so I wasn't really accostumed to it, but it did have two more splash cymbal than I usually use, so I went crazy all over those. :D And there IS a song with the Taylor on it... How I Love You. I played the picked and rhythm parts for that song... the sound clip is the middle where there's all kinds of other nasty (DI'd) guitars in it. :p But the intro and outro is mostly the Taylor. When you buy the CD ;) you'll be able to hear the whole version. :D btw... the clips were intened to be a tease, so I guess I did my job while picking them out. :p

CanopuS: Thanks for the comments. I don't remember the name of the delay used on the vocals. I could look it up if you want.

As for the gear... there's a post up at the top of this thread (to Lt. Bob) where I listed most of the gear we used... but I forgot to add that the guitars were mostly done using my brother's 68' Les Paul Gold Top.

WATYF

This "Clay" song... you've posted before, in demo form :cool:... It kicked butt then... still does... but with larger guitars...

So... WATYF = Jason ... finally the mystery begins to unravel :p

Hey now... don't go broadcasting it to the world now...... oh wait... I just did. :p

Yeah... I posted clay a long time ago in its very baby stages... I'm surprised you remember that. Thanks for listening man.

WATYF

I listened to every clip.. very nice stuff as a whole.. no point in any mix comments that would just be preference.. some songs sounded like more effects were used than necessary for this type of music, but it's definitely solid stuff all the way around!

nice work Jay!:D

Thanks Sam! :D

Glad you liked it... and yeah... that was pretty much my contention with some of the tunes... a little too much effects for this style of music. But I'm ok with the over-all outcome. Thanks for checkin' them out.

WATYF

What a disappointment! I'd really like to hear more. I checked them all out, and I really loved the production. Performances were excellent also

Twist

Have to agree with the other comments about the overuse of effects. The mix also seems overcompressed bordering on muddy. There's no real dynamics happening. Guess that's par-for-the-course with modern pop though.:rolleyes:

Maybe it was just the streaming thing.

It's a shame too because the performances are quite good. Even the drumming.;)

Not tryin' to bust your balls dude, but I calls 'em like I hears 'em.

Listened to "Completely Yours"

Sounds, real sweet. Drums = gewd! Yup.

Gives me some shades of Sarah McGlaughlin, dunno if that makes sense, but DAMN!!! themz clips is way too short.

ok carry on, good job mate.

i just listened to 'who I am' i like that song better than completely yours. don't like the snare panning. but then again i don't usually go for that stuff.

i like those hihats (i think i do, if you'd post something with more top end on it, i'd know better). what are you using for hihats, they have a nice sizzle to them.

ahhhh...my first reply got lost in a server hang-up.... i hate that.........anyhooo

i had written that i kind of agreed with sabbath about "some songs sounded like more effects were used than necessary for this type of music"...........specifically, on 'clay' the out of the room drum sound that cut in and out really quick kind of threw me off.....on 'completely yours', it was the cher type auto tune sounding vocal line that kind of threw me........i'll put it this way...those effects sound great in sound quality and execution, i just don't think i would have used them if i were producing:D .....i think the songs stand well without it........

the drums sound amazing......they really give the tracks a geat professional sound.........i really think that strong vocal and drum recordings can make most home jobs stand as professional jobs....and this would fall into that category.......sounds great

Listened to Clay ... Your singer has a great voice, and the drums are very nice! :)

Should be a rockin' CD!

:D

twist: Sorry... it's not my material, otherwise you'd have gotten the whole deal. :) Thanks for the listen though.

Brane: No problem man. I can't say I disagree with any of what you said. It was home-recorded... it just wasn't my home it was being recorded at, :p so I didn't have much of a say in how it came out. I appreciate the honesty. Thanks for listening.

Khompy: Thanks man... appreciate it. I can't quite hear the Sarah McGlaughlin influence, but I'll take it as a compliment, since I like her stuff. :)

eric: Funny thing... I didn't even know aboot the drum panning until the day I heard the master CD. :p There were a lot of "surprises" that day. :D As for the hi-hats, I use A Custom Quick Beats. They're the ones with the flat bottom cymbal with the four big holes drilled near the "bell". (not that it has a bell, since it's a flat cymbal. :p) They're a nice middle-of-the-road cymbal... not too flimsy (so you can do tight cymbal work with em), but not too rigid (so you can also open em up and just wail on em if you want. :D)

powder: Thanks for the comments. I wish the drums were professional. :p I've got my gripes with those, but that's a whole other story. :p Everything else, I totally agree with... :)

boydrj: Thanks man... I will pass along the comments. :)

WATYF

Humm, the bass drops out on Clay... what happened? Other than the bass dopping out I like it. Completely Yours... is cool but I don't care for the auto-tune. Over all... good job.

Smooth recording! The drums are great in Clay. In Completely yours though, the reverb is a bit much IMO. I think you've captured some great energy with the recordings!
RF

5 STARS, 2 THUMBS AND A PINKY-TOE UP!!!!

You dun' made your mama proud dawg!!!
Listened to all the clips and have become very jealous of your skillz and talent along with this great project!!!

Props to you WATYF!!!!:cool:

Sorry to dig this up.

FYI,.. for everyone who had asked to be informed when this was ready.... the CD is now available on ThrowingAway.com.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

WATYF

I missed this thread, I'm glad I caught the other one on the other board...

Cant wait to get my CD...

I love "Clay"...

:)

I always like your stuff, this is very good.
Clay is big and wide and smooth. The girl has a big warm voice.

Back