i am unemployed and bored so i covered a dinosaur jr song

Nola

i just wanted to play this song 'cause i like it, but i couldn't find the tab online so i wound up figuring out the chords and then recording it.

i kind of want to share it in case other people need the chords but then i was also wondering how crappy the amp sim sounds. i really hate 'em but my neighbor called the cops so i sold my amp. ugh. can you tell me any other brutally honest stuff, too? for some reason i have problems with rhythm sometimes but with this one i think it's 'cause i played it only 2 times before recording it and barely knew the chords. but how do you get better at chunky rhythms and the ones off beat like when it is F# to G? i think those were off a few times.

https://soundcloud.com/nolanso1/whatevers-cool-with-me

the original song has a solo maybe if i'm unemployed still tomorrow i'll do that. it's a hard solo so we'll see

Last edited:
I like your sound, your amp sim isn't too bad. It actually works really good for this style. From what I know about Dinosaur jr. They are considered noise rock or lo-fi-ish, so it works.

I use amp sims all the time, real amps have their advantages but if you don't have $2000 or cant crank it up, amp sims are a good alternative.

I like your sound, your amp sim isn't too bad. It actually works really good for this style. From what I know about Dinosaur jr. They are considered noise rock or lo-fi-ish, so it works.

I use amp sims all the time, real amps have their advantages but if you don't have $2000 or cant crank it up, amp sims are a good alternative.

thanks exvious that was such a fast response.

but thanks for your comments exvious. dinosaur jr is noise rock at least their early albums. the sim has that weird shrill sound it in that i hate but i tried to eq it out and mess with the mic placement in the sim. i'm glad it's at least acceptable

Last edited:
I really liked Dinosaur Jr. back in the day. Your rhythm doesn't sound bad to me. You don't have timing problems that I can hear. The chord changes might be cleaner. Everything can always be improved. ;) The guitar tone isn't going to set the world on fire, but neither did Mascis's IMO. I wouldn't have known it was a sim unless you told me.

Actually, the first thing I would change would be that open hihat. It goes on an on without any variation. If you're programming drums by hand, try turning some of those open hats to closed to give it a tighter sound.

Sorry to hear you're unemployed. That sucks.

I really liked Dinosaur Jr. back in the day. Your rhythm doesn't sound bad to me. You don't have timing problems that I can hear. The chord changes might be cleaner. Everything can always be improved. ;) The guitar tone isn't going to set the world on fire, but neither did Mascis's IMO. I wouldn't have known it was a sim unless you told me.

Actually, the first thing I would change would be that open hihat. It goes on an on without any variation. If you're programming drums by hand, try turning some of those open hats to closed to give it a tighter sound.

Sorry to hear you're unemployed. That sucks.

thanks robus that's a good point about the hi hat. it's not programmed drums. i purchased recorded drums from a guy off ebay. i think he records live tracks off all different styles and then sells them. but he had fills in this pack and i didn't use any. i probably should have so thanks

If the drums are MIDI patterns that trigger sampled sounds, you can just go right in and edit them, change some of the open hats for closed or do whatever you want. Definitely some fills would help too.

The guitar sound was a little on the dull side. But maybe it was that way in the orignal. It seemed to work OK.

Is the mix completely mono? It's really narrow.

Some pitchiness in the vocal, but that also seemed to add to overall feel.

Someone said you sound like the guy from Cake. I agree.

If the snare had more snap to it, the drums overall would sound much better.

Sounds great to me. Vocals are really good. They get a little obscured by the guitar I think, I might try notching out a little eq space in them to let the vocal through.

the only thing i don't like about using amp sims is, for example, the opening note of your tune...with a real amp, you can get some nice feedback going. you can't with an amp sim. actually, if anyone knows a good way to mimic guitar feedback with a sim, please post it. i just don't think it's possible though.

totally 90's. i like this. many vocals were unintelligible though - i'd work on bringing some clarity to the vocals. guitar sounds fine to me- kinda dirty and fuzzy, perfect for this style. kick was hardly audible in most parts and the drum pattern during the "non-solo" or bridge section was tedious. maybe that's how the original was performed?

i always like your stuff. nice job dude

Sounds great to me. Vocals are really good. They get a little obscured by the guitar I think, I might try notching out a little eq space in them to let the vocal through.

wow thanks easlern. what would be the best way to eq? i always get confused how to make space for vocal by eqing guitar. like i can't tell where to eq each one. i read like 4k for vocal so i try bumping that and lowering guitar there, but it never seems to do much. is that the right thing to do?

the only thing i don't like about using amp sims is, for example, the opening note of your tune...with a real amp, you can get some nice feedback going. you can't with an amp sim. actually, if anyone knows a good way to mimic guitar feedback with a sim, please post it. i just don't think it's possible though.

totally 90's. i like this. many vocals were unintelligible though - i'd work on bringing some clarity to the vocals. guitar sounds fine to me- kinda dirty and fuzzy, perfect for this style. kick was hardly audible in most parts and the drum pattern during the "non-solo" or bridge section was tedious. maybe that's how the original was performed?

i always like your stuff. nice job dude

thanks andru that's nice and all good advice. during that non solo bridge i wanted to do a solo but the project crashed and i lost everything. i guess i can do a solo over the wav file and try to mix it in? i was bummed.
i don't know how to create feedback using an amp sim. maybe something like a hollowbody guitar would make more feedback since they are known for that? but i don't know they probably have a plugin for it, but it probably sounds fake.
i don't like the amp sim but it's better than nothing, i guess, since i live in an apartment. my friend has a real amp so maybe i'd be better sending him the signal and having him reamp it? that might be a good idea. your stuff is good too andru i listen to it it reminds me of sunny day real estate do you remember those guys?

For eq I usually just take one of the dip things (I'm sure there's a real name for this lol), put it like -6dB and slide it up and down freqs until the vocal seems clearer. (This is eq on guitars.) Maybe it helps, maybe it hurts, no real science to this I think you just gotta trust your ears. :)

your stuff is good too andru i listen to it it reminds me of sunny day real estate do you remember those guys?

i have not heard of them, but I will have to check them out - thanks for the kind words.

I think what easlern means is to try doing an EQ sweep on the vocal track and look for the honky parts around 400-550 hz. Make your Q very high and turn the gain of that frequency way up and sweep around until you find that frequency that sticks out real nasty. For my own voice, it's around 480hz. as soon as I cut there, it becomes much more clear. i do another cut around 900-1100 and it gets that nasally tone out some. those are really the only two cuts I do for the main verse vocal.

Badass and pretty true to the original (even the vocal) sans the solo.
I love Dinosaur Jr, though, so I'm biased.

Back