Hungry Mile

TwoDogs

Just joined the forum and hoping to get some feedback on the song Hungry Mile that I have attached. Is the balance ok, vocals clear enough etc , appreciate any feedback. Hope I am using this thread the right way.

Attachments

• Hungry Mile.mp3
    4.7 MB · Views: 44
Just joined the forum and hoping to get some feedback on the song Hungry Mile that I have attached. Is the balance ok, vocals clear enough etc , appreciate any feedback. Hope I am using this thread the right way.

You are on the right track and probably don't need advice from likes of me :-) . The acoustics sound great and the spread is nice. Love the electric and sound is like butter. Your vocals are really nice, right up my alley, recorded well and have a good sense of space without sounding processed. Just get a bass on this, it is killing me :-)

Very, very nice. I think the vocals sit well.

The lead guitar is sweet, vaguely JJ Cale, but I'm not sure it needs to be doing fills the entire song. And, just sometimes, the acoustic in the left just comes up a hair so it's maybe too noticeable (vs. vocal). Not sure if that's ducking causing that or just the playing but maybe it could come down a half dB.

Purely from an arrangement standpoint, the intro and outro together are almost 1/3 of the song. It feels like it could be tightened up, but that's me.

I only listened with earbuds and my old Sony cans.

Wish I could do that :).

Hi Mr D/TwoDogs - I have the file now and I'll have a listen tonight on my proper system. My laptop does bad things to frequencies so I won't comment from what I can hear from it right now - but it sounds generally pretty good to me. Maybe some frequency stuff with the lead guitar, but that maybe the laptop!

Jump on a few other tunes in the Clinic and make a few comments about them and you'll get more love here. The place is a little dead these days and I'm not here often. I'll see if I can get some ears from the other place I hang out over to have a listen and comment...

See you at work... :)

Two Dogs,
sounds nice, but VERY polite.
Luckily the lyric is much grittier.
There's a volume lift at about 1.35 which seems a little artificial.
It does need a bass to pin it down.
Very nice songwriting.
REMEMBER the Forum Maxim:
To more YOU comment on the work of others the more THEY'LL comment on yours.

OK - first of all, it's pretty good!

But, here's what I would do...

I'd LPF the acoustic guitar a bit higher than you are - assuming you are - kill of some of the really low frequencies. Might be a matter of steepening the curve rather than changing the frequency - not sure what you've done there, but just a bit less bass - not much, might make it better.

Then I'd hunt down the fundamental frequency for the second chord and put a bit of a notch in it via EQ - it booms a little more than the others.

Then I'd put a bit more bass back into the lead vocal to compensate - seems a bit light on. Might also try something on the top end of the vocal - there's a bit of harshness there that, so with a notch filter you might reduce it. Put another notch filter on your EQ, max the gain, and sweep up and down looking for it. When you wince, you'll have found it. Take it down a few dB and see if that isn't more pleasing.

And I'd just do some manual adjustment of the lead vocal volume at the start - it starts a little quiet. And when the vocal is happening, possibly pull 2 dB off the electric noodle guitar. Tell Rob I'm sorry... :laughings:

But all in all, not too bad at all TwoDogs - and these are just minor tweak recommendations. Others may disagree...

I also agree with ray that an actual bass line might make it all hold together a little better - depends upon what you're trying to achieve though.

Cheers

Back