Humanity Zoo

mjbphotos

Humanity Zoo -updated mix added 1-4-15

Looking for some mix suggestions on this one. Bit of a challenge for me as I had Bongoboy (John) do the drums and there's a lot going on musically - two rhythm guitars (acoustic and electric), organ, synth, lead guitar. I haven't EQed or added compression on them, afraid of screwing them up that way.

Ok, boosted up all the drums, side-chained the snare and kick, lowered the lead vocals and lead guitars a bit, panned the BG vocals a little more. Definitely sounds better to my ears - thanks for the listens and suggestions, guys.

And all of this after dealing with RotoRooter all morning - clogged sewer line, luckily the stinky stuff didn't make it into the basement, just some shower water. Could have bought some nice gear with the $425, though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Your right there are a lot of things going on in this track, but everything can be heard clearly. My first impressions through headphones is that the music as a whole is missing bottom end. The vox seems to overpower the music parts.

Quick comments:

-As Brutish said, the song is completely lacking bottom end. Like, from 150hz and down to my ear.
-The snare drum sounds like it's a million miles away. This song could use a more powerful drum mix for sure. Particularly the kick and snare. I would start by simply pushing the faders up before thinking about EQ and compression. But I'm willing to bet you'll want to give the kick and snare some compression to increase their attack.
-Lead electric guitar and vocals (to a lesser degree) seems too loud for the current mix, but if you bring up the drums and get them more powerful, that will affect how the entire mix feels. So I wouldn't do anything until the drums are dealt with.

My 1st thought was about the balance of the rhythm guitars.
One is more prominent (acoustic) and for me the mix leans to that side BUT this became less so as the song moved along.
Lead instruments/vox do seem a little above the mix.
Bottom end isn't an issue though the kick could use some thud.
Personally I'd have panned the response/bvox.

Lacking low end, nice volume balance overall, the vocals could be a little bit more glued with instrumental. The drums need to be more upfront. Seems the rhythm guitar is colliding with drums. The tone of lead guitar needs to be more worked out.

Back