Human Remains - Grunge Song AIC Style

jonlint

Hi all,

Used some lyrics I wrote for a song with different music and fit to a new song idea. Heavily influenced by my favourite band AIC. Feedback welcome on this first draft:

Human Remains by Jonathan Linton 4 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

HUMAN REMAINS
(Words by Jonathan Linton, Music by Jonathan Linton)

Your metamorphosis is going to plan
Remove compassion as much as you can
Your lust for wealth’s your one true love
And the term mother fucker fits like glove

Driven by materialistic gains
There’s nothing left, no human remains
Heartless soul, ice runs through your veins
And no remorse, no human remains

How’d you get yourself in this mess
Such an asshole, and such a success
All your friends you say are bona fied
When you’re in crisis will they be by yourside

You think it’s just a game
But you sold your soul
Sold your soul for fortune and fame

No human remains
No human remains

I like it. I'm listening on phones. I would brighten up the guitars a bit so the bass would peek through slightly more.

Not a bad sound overall.

The guitars and bass are a little muddy. I would look for some notch EQ cuts somewhere in the 280hz - 320hz range. There is also a bit of boominess in the bass. I would look for a spot between 80hz - 120hz range to cut. I think all of these cuts would be fairly small.

Vocals sound pretty good to me. They're slightly buried behind the guitars just a bit.

The drums, especially the snare, are back in the mix. I'd like an in-your-face smacking snare. The bass is a bit stronger than the kick. Maybe if you notch out 80-100hz in the bass (per above), the kick might come out in the mix more.

Overall though I thought it was a good mix.

I like it a lot. Can hear the AIC influence. Vocal sounds great to me - love the rise on fame. I got no mix suggestions, balance seems good to me. I enjoyed it, nice job

Songwriting wise, this sounds like a quality AIC B-side. Like the guitar riff, guitar tone is very nice. If I could offer one criticism, it would be that it's a little TOO AIC, particularly in the vocal delivery - let your own style come through a little more.

I'm not familiar with Alice in Chains (sorry..) but this sound really good to me, I like that main riff and the other guitars playing off it. Nice middle 8/bridge, always like to hear that. All mixed and mastered well to my ears.

Back