Hrmmm listen....

RealFastV6

I've got a couple issues...

#1. I get a TON of cymbals bleading into the snare drum mic, which then with the snare EQ gives me a "tin-ny" cymbal sound at times. (I'm using an SM58 on snare, this may be part of the problem)

#2. I'm using Bose bookshelf speakers to track/mix with. Basically I've just been trying to match up the final mix with something of the same genre through the same speakers. Anyone feel like re-eqing this on a set of monitors and posting what needed to be done to get it flat? :D

The whole mix sounds "dead" to me right now. :mad:

#3 Why do the master mixes always sound better when they're clipping? (This is digital btw, Delta1010 + CEP2.0)

Thanks guys :D

you're always gonna get bleedthrough on the cymbals through the other drum mics....after all; they're right there.....so you need to EQ things to take that into account. Also I hear a 'phasey' sort of sound to the cymbals. You might can fix that with a different mic placement. A 58 should be an acceptable mic for snare so I don't really think that's your main problem..I'm assuming this is just a test? It seems incomplete. Pretty good playing, I'd like to hear more please

Yeah this was just a soundcheck. All the rest of the drum tracks have very little cymbal bleed, so I guess I'm going to try moving that snare mic around.

How was the overall EQ?

For help with mic'ing drum sets, check this thread. From what I've learned, mic placement (overheads) has everything to do with getting rid of the "phasey" sound on the cymbals (that swirly, swooshy effect you hear).

You're getting a nice, rock sound... guitars sound very similar to the band P.O.D.'s guits. Kind of a cross between them and Bush.

The EQ heavily favors the middle... near 2k and right thru about 4k... the kick drum sounds a bit too EQ'ed... the click is probably too loud, and the thump is weak...

Very nice music, BTW... good alt. rock sound

Chad

Damn....sounds great....would love to hear the entire song with vocals.
You might be able to solve the problem with just reducing the overhead cymbals
some and use the cymbal bleed in the snare to set the volume right. Or...perhaps
you could cut the high frequencys out of the snare track...maybe on a mulit-band eq
plug-in...just drop each band to zero starting way out at 15 or 20khz...until you hear it effect the snare...then stop there. That might be enough to lower the cymbal highs and not effect the snare.
Have you used any compression or limiting with the cymbols? That sometimes makes a pulsating or whooshing effect also...and can be tweaked to eliminate the effect.
By no means am i a pro here....many others can give better advice...just some thoughts...sounds really good though.

Thanks guys, this is the feedback Im looking for!

When I cut the snare out of the mix, I think the cymbal phasing goes away, so its probably the phasing between the overheads and the bleedthru on the snare mic.

Theres no effects what-so-ever on the overheads other then very slight EQing. The snare however does have a little post-recording compression and reverb which may very well be the real problem. I did experiment with trying to EQ the cymbals out of snare mix, but it made the snare sound too dead.

Does an SM57 have a more directional pattern then a 58 maybe?

sm57

i would say your fine with the sm57...its often used for exactly what your using it for.
One thing you might be able to try is to reduce the sensitivity of that mic so that it only pics up the loud crack of the snare and the other stuff won't bleed in as much.
Another thing to try is to maybe slightly alter the drum kit set up...if its the overheads bleeding through maybe raise them a bit higher...try to isolate that mic as much as possible. Usually I aim my sm57 straight onto the snare about an inch from the head...the only real bleed through I get is from my hi-hat then. Or maybe you could try putting two mics on the snare...one on top like I mentioned...and one on the bottom head. You might then be able to mix the two together and lower the volume of the top mic so there isn't so much cymbal action.
Try and give your current mix a listen with all the effects turned off the snare drum track and see if any of the plug-ins are making the problem worse as well...

Just some ideas...

I think lowering the mic sensitivity will help a lot though.

The 58 and the 57 are substantially the same mic. The 58 has a 'pop' filter in the windscreen and, I believe, a shock mount on the cartridge to reduce handling noises so for drums it really won't make much of a difference. If you can't eliminate the bleedthrough, and I say you can't totally, then EQ the overheads to complement the sounds that are picking up through the snare mic and pull out the freqs that are already there on the 58. Just use the overheads to supplement that sound.

It appears I've found my problem, one of my overheads was pointed directly at a crash, seems to be much better now. :)

Back