HRC Acid Wash

Doug H

I'll be there
I love this song.

I won't bore everyone with all the gory details of trying to record this but trust me they are there. I did gain an exrta couple of notes on my vocal range :0. That's one of the benifits of doing 750 takes.

I'm going to have to remix this, but I did all this work with the hopes of uploading this tonite so I can't bail now.

The cover
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1830&alid=-1

The original.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1647&alid=-1

Acid Wash by Jamal Buchet

Hey Doug--I just listened.

The good: Your guitar parts are so cool! Very Jimi-esque. You play well. I could listen to that all day. Would have loved to hear it through a big Marshall, but it doesn't matter. ( My guess--its a V-Amp?) Is that a Strat? If not, it must be something very similar. Also, I thought your version gave some new dimension to the song. Its different from Jamal's but I like the difference. Last, you CAME THROUGH on the challenge! Thank you!

The bad: Your drums kinda lose me. I think its because there's no hi hat breaking up the meter. It makes the task rest solely on the shoulders of the guitarist. As a guitarist with no sense of meter myself, I know how hard that is to pull off perfectly. Vocal could come up a little more too.

I'll check back for the final mix. Kudos for doing this!

HOLY SHIT THATS AWESOME....at first i was a little taken back...but after you started singing i was hooked...i cant beleive someone dug this enough to cover it...thats soo cool...i LOOOOVE the style you sang this in ..ok i hafe to listen to this ...a few more times...then ill tell you how i REALLY feel....:D....lol...man that guitar is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

jamal

Doug,

thats some sweet ass playing.....

like crawdad, the lack of a hihat/ride threw me off a tad......but other than that, the whole track rocks....this just happens to be my favorite Bamal Juchet song so props on song choice......

Jamal,

Im ready (i think...:D )

realy realy nice guitar work here. the guitar tone is incredible.definately must be a strat. the only thing i found wrong with it is the drums, vox sound good maybe need to be a bit louder but everything sounds good. good job and this is my fav song by jamal to.

WOW

:eek:

I've never heard the original, but this kicks ass.

Seriously, you didn't have any trouble making this YOURS, ... I love it, and I think it takes real vision to be able to pull this off. Dammit Doug, you should post more. I'm looking at your page, and you're like a "special events" kind of poster...lol...Christmas, 1.5 Hr. Challenge, Cover Challenge. Damn man, if you just had more deadlines, you'd be famous. :D

LOVED THIS!!!!! I can practically feel the amp shaking the floor next to me...neato!!!

And I'm with Crawdad...THANKS FOR PLAYING!!!

no more "eeks," just raised thumbs.

ok the fact that you took it and made it your own is what is so cool i think...besides the fact that i could never play guitar like that in a million years......at 4:13 or so when you play the continuous run ...love that...this is so sparse....compared to my version...man its weird to hear it so "bare"...but you see i have to hide all my musical shortcomings with tons of stuff ..lol...you on the other hand .....can actually play!...

the low key vocals (the style not the actual key..lol).. way that you sang it ...man i sang this WAY to happy ..cause i like this way better......

jamal

nice guitar playing jimmy! i would kill to be able to play the guitar like that!

the intro drums were a little disturbing. actually all of the drums were really bad except the part where they are just holding the rythm of the song.

i think you should post this without the drums. the singing is pretty good. hard to hear in some parts.

yeah, i'd like to hear this without the drums.

no offense jamal but i like this better than the original. hard not to love that guitar playing.

very nice guitar playing. My only thing, would be that I'd like to hear it not panned so far to the left. The whole right side of the song sounds empty. The drums are a little strange... are they some sort of loop...i like the tone of the toms. I'd like to get that sound out of my kit.
The bass sounds very good. I like the vocals also, sound good, but could be brought up a little....maybe bring everything else down?? the signal sounds to be breaking up a little on the bottom end around 1:35 and on for a little bit. I think panning the guitar a little more to the center will make a huge improve in the balnce of the mix....but, man i'd be the last person to take advice from. Pretty new at it all myself. great job overall....love that git sound.....don't miss SRV so much now!!!
Jason

Hey doug. Thanks for posting that. I really enjoyed the listen. Man I'd never have the guts to put my guitar playing up front like that! That was some inspired playing. Jimi is smiling down on you!

Twist

I really liked doing this one.

Jamal
<sigh of releif>
I felt like Neil Young trying to cover a David Bowie tune most of the time. I'm glad you liked it.
Thanks for writing this one, the words really "got me". I sort of had this Tori Amos thing when I was jamming it out.

CrawDad
Thanks! It s a strat into a Gibson Skylark. I've got a big marhsall, but it's of the high gain variety and doesn't do the "just breaking up" sound very well. It may be in need of some repair, but even then...Ya, the drums could be better, especially in the verses.

Gidge
Thanks alot. There's a ride in there but I buried it too much.
"this just happens to be my favorite Bamal Juchet song "
I'm not the only one that likes this song then...
<lol, i was just about to correct the spelling>

Flash2Ace.
Thanks! Ya that gibson amp has some neat twang in it.
"and this is my fav song by jamal to." Great to hear fans of the song like my version.

Chirsharris
Thanks!
"I can practically feel the amp shaking the floor next to me...neato!!!"
lol, my shock mount is the foam my mixer came packed in between the mic and the floor. I've got to start thinking about going high tech.
"and you're like a "special events" kind of poster"
I've been wrestling with a few tunes for quite a while now, I seem to like biting off a bit more than I can chew. Maybe I should suggest "post all the tunes you've been working on for months" as the next challenge.

erichenryus
"nice guitar playing jimmy!"
Thanks!
"all of the drums were really bad "
lol
Honesty rules. I tried to keep them out of the way in the choruses, but I wanted a crecendo in the verse. Sans drums is a cool idea but the bass line would have to be perfect.

JasonBird
Thanks!
I've tried different ways of panning the guitar in a trio mix. Sometimes blended in and sometimes with big separation, wied versus narrow drums etc... Currently my bottom line is using a reasonable amount of the stereo field. I'm still working on it.

twist
Thanks alot! :)

Doug

diggin' that guitar!!!

some drum strangeness in the beginning.. I'm glad it didn't stay that way..

good listen..

This is a cool version doug.I've always like the orginal so this one threw me for a loop until the words came in.:D.......nice guitar playing......it sounds a little overbearing though and the hard panning kinda makes it sound a little weird......the guitar is a little too hot IMHO....it's a tad harsh....sounds like it's been DI'd all the way.........drums sound kind of disjointed......close to an SRV type of slow jam beat but just a little disjointed here and there....not out of time,just weird hits here and there......Vocals are good too.Ahhh,I was hoping for some harmony vocals on the chorus.LOL.........well,it sounds like Im slaying this but it's a really good take on jamals tune........with a really tight drummer in the pocket this version could really fly.

I dug it Doug!

B.SABBATH
Thanks!

Kramer
Thanks!
Ya, that about sums up the drum track. Theres some awkward hits and the pattern is re-used a couple of times. Half the battle is getting them to a decent state before I get sick of editing the track.

Wow,some great guitar playing goin on there!
Definitly Jimized!

Drums were huge,and the vocals were sweet,I dig your voice.
Very fine cover man,great work Doug.

I really enjoyed it,thanks,
Pete

DAYUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! s.r. moefoein v.!!!!!! you took this in a kick ass direction!!!!!!!!! very cool!!!!!!!!

thank's man!!!!!!

Peace

Rick

Listened to this couple days back, but caught myself plugging the strat into the twin before I had a chance to reply:D . Love the vibe you choose here, I'm a sucker for that tone...wished i could come close to that though. Enjoyed this much man, you did a great job here.

muzeman
Cool, Thanks for listening.

fenderlikingood
Right on :) glad you liked it.

David
Thanks! We'll be hearing that twin soon then? :) :)

Back