HRC#4 Twist and Lt. Bob

Lt. Bob

Spread the Daf!
Hey guys........here it is.....two months of work......well about 20 hours spread over two months really. :)

My new friend Twist was so easy to work with. We talked on the phone a few times and he seemed like a very nice guy with an interesting life. Although this challenge caught him at a time when he was extremely busy, he made time to get his parts done and I salute him.....he did a fine job.

The way it went was:
I wrote the outline of the song with some very preliminary words and let him check it out. He liked the song so we pretty much used the structure as I had written it. While I was doing the drums and bass tracks, Twist finalized the words (most of them are his).
Then I sent him the drums and bass tracks and he added his guitars and two of the vocals and sent that back to me where I added the horns and one more vocal. Then I spent freakin' forever trying to mix it. This is the busiest thing I've ever mixed.....very full with lots of stuff to try and get where you can hear it all. I'm not really finished with it but I just had to put it up.

At the bottom of the page:
"We Haven't Named It Yet"
http://www.nowhereradio.com/wondercow/singles

Great !

I can't comment on the mix because I'm listening at work on some headohones but...

The song and performance was great !

Very well done. Lotsa' hard work in there for sure.

Dennis

Re: Great !

Awesome. I could totally see you guys live in a cool club jamming away. I am loving the different collab styles so far. That is what is great about this clinic and challenge.

Top notch. Vocals were good. Guitars were perfect for the style. Sax sweet as always. I thought it would have been pretty funny if there was no sax in the song you guys did. Boy, there would have been some pissed off listeners. :D Everyone needs their Lt sax fix.

rustyfingers said:
I can't comment on the mix because I'm listening at work on some headohones but...

...I will anyhow :D . I can't make too many comments, but I would have liked more of a soundstage setup in terms of panning/reverb. A lot of stuff seemed to centered to me. I wanted to envision you guys up on stage. OK so there would be more than two you in the real band, but you get the idea. ;) :)Especially the backing vocals. I would have liked them a little panned/separated.

Levels seem good to me otherwise, except bring up that guitar solo. It needs to be on par with the sax solo, close to vocal levels.

Excellent work. I knew you guys with your talent would put together a great song.

Todd

Lt. & Twist,

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Man I'm smilin from ear to ear! Great Song appealing on many, no
ALL levels. Lyrics are SO much fun!!!!!!Compositionally flawless, hooks abounding, burning solos, seamless transitions, vox and harmonies blend nicely.

What a lyric!!!!!!!!It is such a musician's tune!! Rockin & rebellious! My favs are references to: turnarouds, shirt and ties, dues & blues, feel/ real deal, free/made it for me............So creative!

Mix is real close Bob, a little tweak here & there should put this 'in the pocket'. We'll let the mix pros handle that.

The only thing that bothers me is that CONSTANT ride cymbal! :rolleyes: I need some more hi-hat (open and close) syncopated 16ths, and a few more original fills on the traps to put it over the top!

Great work guys!

5 big ones from Ralph

Heh! This is just the kind of thing I couldn't have possibly fathomed on my own and yet when i hear it, it makes complete sense. Those lyrics are great this sounds like a classic and it probably will be. Nice solos and leads from both of you, Im assuming bob did the horns and twist did the guits. I can totally hear this in some rollicking club in like the Blues Brothers movie or something. Distinctive riffs on the beginning, good signature. The mix sounds well done to me not cluttered at all, I think your time was well spent. Great job fellas!

Very sweet mix. You can't do better than this unless you get better gear and Daniel Lanois in the studio LOL.

I especially like the sound of the vocals and the sax. Which pretty much sums it up. Tell you what, though: listen to the levels of the vocal relative to the sax break, and how upfront each one sounds - you hear anything that makes you wanna reach for the faders? I do, but what do I know LOL.

Hey, Lt - you know your way around recording and mixing, obviously, but what I wanna know is this - has recording changed anything you do when you play? Has it reduced the amount of time you spend blowing, for example?

Oh, and yes, I like this song. It's a good song. :D:D

Think I'll do a rap number soon :D:D:D

This was a lot of FUN to listen to....had to play it twice in a row and will probably play it some more! This is one of those tunes that would be a great live number too. Would put ear to ear grins on the whole band and the crowd would take to the dancefloor.

I'm gonna let you kep tweaking the mix before I comment much. I pretty much missed the kick in the mix though. Check that out. I'll keep tabs on the thread for the update.

Great job--both of you. So far, I've liked everything thats coming in for the HRC. Can;t wait to hear more!

GOOD JOB

this was really good guys. Very great sounds, and the mix is really nice sounding. It gives me a CCR, "I like that old time rock n' roll" kinda vibe. I don't know what else to say. Everything seemed great to me. Great Job. Definately a 5'er!!!

Fellas........ COOL!!!

Great tune here, ...nice choice of parts for everyone involved. Stevie.... nice horns, as usual. Very nice playing here, but thats to be expected from you, and is a given that never lets ya down. What stood out was the bass line.... .....NICE brutha!! Nicely played part.
Twist, ...also great work. The guits totally fit the song, both tone-wise and performance-wise. Very tastefull. ...I didnt know you could sing like that man... ...cool! Im listening for a big deep baritone (Steve?) and cant pick it out. Which part did he sing?

Nice work here!! gw/5

LOL......actually I'm singing the high falsetto part. I didn't mix it up higher 'cause I wanted it to be there but not draw any attention away from the lead vox. Gotta go get ready for a gig....I'll respond in depth when I get home

I couldn't make out quite a few of the lyrics, but what i heard was very funny, and more importantly...true!

Man that's a fun song. It's like a tribute the HomeRecers. I love it! :)

Definitely had a Seger vibe to it to me. Old time rock and roll, no?

Making the lyrics out better on this second listen. Really good singing. Love the voice. Horns kinda suck though. No that's not true at all. :)

Awesome job guys. Another great one for the HRC4 folder/CD.

Thanks for the song fellas!

Tom

SLuiCe said:

Definitely had a Seger vibe to it to me. Old time rock and roll, no?
Yeah...that's how it ended up....but actually the song that was in my mind when I was writing it was Edgar Winter's "Keep Playing That Rock & Roll"

Great job on this one. My only problem would be that it seems a little harsh in the high mids. Those cymbols are a little "slicey" and when the vox really belt, there's a bit of 4k-ish harshness. A little less bright and I think it sounds great.

And really, for this kind of "good old rock and roll" kind of thing, I think the current panning/soundstage works good.

Nice!

Chris

Pretty cool guys. I found it lacking a bit in the bottom end of the spectrum, bit thin. Decent nonetheless. Good playing all round! I thought maybe you were gonna drop out into an accapella thing like they do sometimes in styles like this... you know, where everyone gets out there lighter.. j/k

Nice job!

Way to go guy's! This had to be a lot of fun. "twist"...your vox are rockin man! Your's too Lt., that was pretty damn good falsetto you had going there..thought it was mixed in just right myself. Great gtr's and sax work for sure. Loved it..

First thing I hear is a little ZZ-top. Then some Littlefeet. Great mix.
I understand all the words with great clarity and ease, thank you.

At 1:15, I'd like to hear the guitar solo come up a hair more. The sax solo is smoooooothhhhh and well mixed.

At 2:34, this last verse, the reverb seems to be getting a little heavy on the vox.

Cool song, great collab ! This just proves ... who needs a real studio anymore ?

Back