How's the mix on this Rock/Prog Rock tune?

STAT1STICK

I've posted this here before and it was pretty rough at the time. I've left it alone for months and just went back at it for a few days. This is the mix final production. I was curious how the balance is and if the mix fits the song well enough. I play it through my home setup and it sounds great there. I feel like it's complete. What do you think?

I wish I still had the old version up for comparison's sake.

The drums in the intro really aren't doing it for me. They're really dry and consistent, making them sound canned.

Good use of subtle harmonies on the vox.

...nice work. Vocals are beautifully done. Only nit I can come up with is a blurry bass tone. Tighten/punch-up, and its done to my ears.

The drums in the intro really aren't doing it for me. They're really dry and consistent, making them sound canned.

Good use of subtle harmonies on the vox.

Unfortunately, the drums are canned. I've never had the ability of making sampled drums sound good. I try but I always lose something along the way. I suppose I just don't give them enough attention. Thanks for listening and giving your thoughts. I will see what I can do about those drums. I have to agree with you. I don't really care for how the song starts. It sounds lazy to me the more I listen to it. I could probably do better by just cutting the intro drums and just having some kind of atmospheric sound leading into the groove. Maybe I'll play with that. Thanks, Steve.

As for the bass, I hear that it is lacking some mids. I have them pretty aggressively cut back but I think there's room to put some back. I'll toy with that, too. I think I'll have more success with that than the drums. I'm just sayin'. Thanks for your feedback.

The vocals and guitars were my favorite parts to perform and mix. It's my comfort zone, I suppose.

Thank you for listening.

I could probably do better by just cutting the intro drums and just having some kind of atmospheric sound leading into the groove. Maybe I'll play with that.

If you don't think you can get the drums into a good groove by themselves, yeah, that'd get my vote. Atmospheric is a good way to start songs too!

Not a genre I listen to a lot but pretty damn cool. The vocals are super smooth and well done. Guitars are nice and buttery. The drums break it for me though, and it's not just the intro. I'm not even sure if it's because they are canned. I think they could work if they just didn't feel so 'apart' from the rest of the mix. I think the other comments about bass are spot on. Just a bit more bite/definition would be cool.

Not a genre I listen to a lot but pretty damn cool. The vocals are super smooth and well done. Guitars are nice and buttery. The drums break it for me though, and it's not just the intro. I'm not even sure if it's because they are canned. I think they could work if they just didn't feel so 'apart' from the rest of the mix. I think the other comments about bass are spot on. Just a bit more bite/definition would be cool.

Thanks for your thoughts. The drums killed it for me as well. I'm currently working on another project to revamp my drum production technique which I will then use to approach this one again.(see my latest post).

I'd echo most of the comments...vocals production is FANTASTIC, but the drums sound like an after-thought. The song has a great feel to it.

The only thing that really sticks out to me as needing improvement is the bass. It's pretty muddy and rumbly. I might try to retrack with a little less low end dialed in and a bit more treble. Try to get some definition on it.

The vocal and guitars sound real good. Vocal gets buried by the guitars here and there.

The drums are a bit programmy. But they didn't bug me too much.

Back