How's the mix?

Mix is quite good and balance is nice.

Here is my feedback. You have a really nice roomy sound for the drums, the electric guitar and keyboards have some stereo depth to them, but the vocals and acoustic guitar are quite mono. I would add some stereo depth to them so they sound more in the same space. If it would me I would try first adding Soundtoys Micro Shift on the vocals, tweaking to taste, and maybe add a light ping pong delay with a heavy low pass and short feedback. For the acoustic guitar, I would try the same as the vocals but maybe also add some reverb, again using a heavy low pass. This may not work or may screw up the mix, but this is what I would do.

Thanks for sharing!

I like the song and everything has a nice balance to it. Drums sound a little harsh but not to the detriment of the song. Lack of stereo depth on the acoustic didn't bother me...i liked the tone and your voice sits real nice.

Mark

[MENTION=177573]jonlint[/MENTION] - yeah usually I'd put vocals through a delay but this time didn't. They do go through 2 reverbs. I'll try what you suggest. For the acoustic guitar I almost never seem to get good results with reverb on strummed chords like that. It always strikes me as washy and inarticulate. No doubt I need to learn how to do it because yes, the acoustic guitar is only very slightly being sent to the reverb bus. Basically barely audible.
[MENTION=3102]Mac[/MENTION]74 - Harsh drums yes...I think especially the intro where there's only drums and pretty dry acoustic guitar the drums are pretty bare. Someone else told me I should turn them down for that intro. Which makes sense.

Thanks for the advice

:thumbs up:

Great vocals ! I agree there seems to be reverb or delay not balanced across all of the tracks . I really enjoyed the listen .. mark

Enjoyed listening to this. I'm listening to this on my laptop speakers and I tend to find that on smaller speakers mixes tend to sound somewhat dry relative to headphones. I may be wrong but I would prefer a bit more wetness on the lead vocals! Overall, the song as well as the mix sounds nice!

Thanks Mark and endless...yes I agree. I mixed it again and I guess it's better now. Thanks for your advice and listening.

:)

I really dig this a lot. I love the groove you've got going, and the vocal delivery is great. I'm listening on my phone right now, so I can't make any super critical assessments, but it sounds really good on my phone, so that's saying something!

I only have one nitpick: I absolutely love the way the guitar solo starts, and the tone is awesome for the song. However, the repeated bending notes really start to rush ahead of the beat, and it kind of shook me out of that deep groove I was enjoying. If you laid them back a little bit, I think it would groove a lot better there.

Great stuff!

Thanks Beagle...for such a simple solo you should have seen the amount of takes I did...trying to get the same repeated bend happening was doing my head in and guitar is my main instrument!

Thanks for listening

:guitar:

The voice is good so is the guy with the electric guitar. A bit unbalanced I suppose.

Which parts are unbalanced would you say? Or what would you do to balance it better?

I was thinking the vocal could come down 3db or something. On a laptop it seems too far above the first couple of verses when there's fewer things going on. It sits better in the last section where there's more instruments and stuff going on.

Not sure if that is what you were picking up.

Now you're talkin'!

Thanks for listening.

I'll boost the drums around 2/3 khz to give them more snap and maybe saturate the bass a tad.

And then that'll be it. I'll have done 20 mixes of it. Good practice I guess and the feedback here has helped me shape it and learn what I'm doing.

Thanks

Back