Hows about feedback on this Mix...

Sonixx

Impressions on this Mix requested...

Please take a listen and I'd appreciate feedback on the mix... at least make it to the heavy guitar part

For You

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
the mix

the heavy guitar seemed a bit overpowering to the rest of the mix but having said that, I thought it was a good recording. Very up front and everything seemed to find a place without stepping on something else. Was it your group or did you play all instruments?
I always hesitate to comment on a mix because I don't know what sound you were striving for. I believe if you can achieve the sound YOU were after, you got a good mix.
Nice job!

Last edited:
thanks....

This is a local band...

thanks for your feedback...

-kp-

Last edited:
Im not gonna critique the song.

You on the other hand Sonixx.

You did a nice job of capturing these guys man.

Only thing i would have like is to see the overall dynamics rise more gradually up to the distorted gtr part.

I DO like the sound of the big drums, but maybe hold back the fader until a little later in the clean parts, and then dont let the kit rea;;y fly till the distorted parts.

Also the toms need thickening.

And i think a slightly overdriven bass would do wonders so the overall sonic whomp of the heavy part.

-Finster

"Hows about feedback on this Mix... "
If you want feedback, just put the guitar really close to the amp and turn it up. :)

Sorry...

On a more serious note, you got the expert opinion of Mr. Finster, so I certainly won't try to out-comment THE man.
I'll just say that, as a drummer, I love the drum sound you got. The snare in particular. Funny thing is, it sounds better when he's playing a beat and gets weak when he does a fill, which suggests to me that he relaxes and doesn't hit as hard on a fill...but that's just a first impression thing. Nice sound, though. Vocalist reminds me a bit of Greg Lake in the choruses, especially with whatever ou have on his voice, very big.

xfinsterx said:
Im not gonna critique the song.

You on the other hand Sonixx.

You did a nice job of capturing these guys man.

Only thing i would have like is to see the overall dynamics rise more gradually up to the distorted gtr part.

I DO like the sound of the big drums, but maybe hold back the fader until a little later in the clean parts, and then dont let the kit rea;;y fly till the distorted parts.

Also the toms need thickening.

And i think a slightly overdriven bass would do wonders so the overall sonic whomp of the heavy part.

-Finster
Thanks a lot Chris... that's great feedback... and thanks for taking the time...

once the heavy guitar gets going it feels Okay to me, but the initial impression/impact feels detached...

-keith-

RAMI said:
"Hows about feedback on this Mix... "
If you want feedback, just put the guitar really close to the amp and turn it up. :)

Sorry...

On a more serious note, you got the expert opinion of Mr. Finster, so I certainly won't try to out-comment THE man.
I'll just say that, as a drummer, I love the drum sound you got. The snare in particular. Funny thing is, it sounds better when he's playing a beat and gets weak when he does a fill, which suggests to me that he relaxes and doesn't hit as hard on a fill...but that's just a first impression thing. Nice sound, though. Vocalist reminds me a bit of Greg Lake in the choruses, especially with whatever ou have on his voice, very big.
LOL :)

yeah on the Toms... they have been somewhat problematic... definitely more work is needed... the Toms as tracked are weak...

I appreciate your feedback and time and the feedback is very helpful... sometimes it's difficult to get out of the tunnel.

-keith-

Listening again. Man, the more I hear this, the more I'm blown away by how big the voice gets in the chorus, without overpowering the sparse instrumentation. Even in the first chorus where there are no heavy guitars.

This song reminds me of "Blackbird" by the Beatles. Bear with me, I'll explain why. I'm always impressed with songs that sound like not much is going on, but if you really listen, there is so much going on. Everyone thinks "Blackbird" is just guitar and vocals...There is more instrumentation in that song than anyone has ever noticed. This tune does the same thing...The drums and vocals SOUND dry, but there is a beautiful, subtle reverb on the snare that gives it just enough depth. To be honest, I'm not crazy about this guy's voice (I don't dislike it either), but you doubled it and produced it so perfectly and subtlely that his voice sounds 20 times bigger than it really is...That is an art in itself that takes someone who knows exactly what they're going for...kudos to you on that.

I don't want to be too critical on the drummer just because I'm also a drummer. I'm not like that...but as an example of how he seems to lose focus, listen to the first little fill he does on the snare just before the first chorus...it's as if he lost focus and barely hit his snare...I think it's your job to slap him around a bit and tell him to HIT THOSE F*$^#ers!!! haha...Now I'm telling you how to do your job!!!

But besides that, I am really impressed with the production of this tune...Pat yourself on the back...and then go kick the drummer's ass.

Clip Update...

RAMI, big thanks for the extra time listening and for the input...

I've touched on all the comments (ch2os7, xfinsterx and RAMI)... plus some. The jurys still out on the Toms... I need to sleep on it, again.

An updated version is available... For You

Thanks in advance...

-Keith-

Thats better Sonixx.

The transition to distortion makes more sense now.

And i like the upward dynamic move during the lead section.

Bass sounded better too.

Nice Nice Nice.

-Finster

Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time...

It's much appreciated... really... :D

-Keith-

Back