howdy mp3

drstawl

Banned
I'm glad you said <almost> country. For an example of the real thing, see my separate post. I did like the vocals and that short guitar lead joins the song very smoothly.
Was that piano a honky-tonk patch or a bright upright? The canned bass didn't hurt it as much as the canned drums, but neither was
dripping with cheese. Were those canned canned or handwritten canned?
Maybe a short banjo lead a la Bela Fleck and the Flecktones?

Ok. Ya wanna talk balls? Here's an almost COUNTRY song. That's right, here on HomeRecording.com, an almost COUNTRY song. I say almost, because I had a vision for a cartoon video to go with a cowboy in a rodeo...imagine lime green chaps, big hat, tears down cheek, semi-satirical, but written by that oh so sensitive songwriter, yers truly. Yes those are tapped out bongos. Yes the bass is canned as are most of the rest of the percussion. The synth is real. How oxy-moronic is that? Y'all be sweet now, y'hear.....gibs

3.8MB

lyrics
www.juston.com/public/augustus/Dream+About.rtf

Thanks for listening, doc...that short guitar lead was actually the synth I was talking about...the semi-steel drum sounds and the bongos were tapped out on an Alesis, the other drums sounds and bass were Yahama keyboard (so was the added synth). Bongos go well with cartoons....sigh ..one day you'll get to hear me play AT my old Gretsch bass...hopefully on something recorded entirely on comp...gibs

HMMMMMMMM. The song as a whole has a nice sound to it. Better than the sum of its parts, if that makes any sense...
I'd lay of the spicy foods before bed if you're having dreams like that. Your stuff is awfully sweet and sensitive... Don't you ever get the urge to just stomp someones sorry ass? I want to hear that come out in your music... enough of this Lite Rock. My insulin level skyrockets from your stuff. In real life you are probably a serial killer or something.
I like it though...

In real life for about 15 years I was doing a whole lot of crystal meth, something I'm not proud of, something I don't recommend, but definately an experience that changed the rest of my outlook on life in general. When I would get really tweaked on crank I would tend to pick fights. A side effect of feeling superhuman. I ruined some relationships and also would grab one of my guns if I felt real or imagined threats. Now mind you, this behaviour didn't start til about 5 years into it...until then I thought I was doing pretty good; I worked (a lot), took care of everything I need to take care of, and more or less functioned like a real go-getter. But when it changed, it changed big. I still have some tunes from that period, most of which are unfinished (another side effect of major crank use) that have a lot of anger in them....maybe one day if I can stand it I'll post some lyrics at least. I'm sure there's still some righteous indignation left in me though, because I still must say from the bottom of my heart that Realplayer SUCKS and I hope they all DIE and...oh, and thanks for listening to the song....gibs

gibs... pretty good dude!!! To me the song sounds like a 70's adult orientated rock song...if that makes sense. I really liked the vocals... especially the doubled parts. Everything else sounded good, nothing seemed out of place.

I don't really like criticizing lyrics beacause mine are pretty bad, but talk about weird!!! Why dream about a bloody rodeo? Hey man, I guess it's original and that's very rare nowadays.

Keep up the good work :)

Ok dude, you definately have a sound.

The things I've commented on in the past I'd still comment on in this tune. I'd really like to hear you let loose a little bit... power your tunes up. And I don't mean yell and scream, just add some dynamics...some extra feeling.

There's some crazy stereo warping too. Bad tape or something?

Anyway, I like this tune the best of what you've posted. It's got a real steely dan feel to it...at least that's what it reminds me of. Again you do some real nice vocal harmonization. And I liked the hand drums in the background, though they were hard to hear on these little headphones..until the very end. I liked the guitar riffs at the end as well.

Good work man! You gotta let loose like S8-N says one of these times though... seriously.

Slackmaster 2000

Back