Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How does it sound ? Help a newby...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Thank you so much for that Rich...It helps me a lot to study your mix and try to imitate it in the future!

Stay safe now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Personally, no - I'd record it as it is. I often use the roll off live - when recording or doing PA with a low register instrument - double bass, Bari sax etc, but recording only means I'll deal with it afterwards. However, where are you putting it? The very mellow tone suggests close to the body of the cello. Have you tried just backing the distance off a few inches - it makes quite a difference.
    Rob, I did place the spot mic rather close - about 6 inches, together with X-Y stereo configuration above and far away. I will experiment with further placement of spot mics in the future - thank you for that tip! Please keep them coming - I love learning over here!

Thanks
    I noticed that the cello timing is slightly ahead of the guitar, especially at the beginning of the piece. I don't know whether you meant to create the effect of the cello rushing the time a bit or whether there is a synchronization problem between the cello and the guitar. I have dealt with similar synchronization issues, and my technique is to have something audibly "count in" the beginning of the piece; I can then erase the count-in if I don't want it to be part of the piece.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hautbois16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hautbois16 View Post
    I noticed that the cello timing is slightly ahead of the guitar, especially at the beginning of the piece. I don't know whether you meant to create the effect of the cello rushing the time a bit or whether there is a synchronization problem between the cello and the guitar. I have dealt with similar synchronization issues, and my technique is to have something audibly "count in" the beginning of the piece; I can then erase the count-in if I don't want it to be part of the piece.
    I didn't know when to start without knowing about your method, so since guitar was recorded later, I waited until the cello started to start playing. Thanks for that tip - I will definitely use that!

Thanks
    I always use a click when you need clean starts, although you can usually edit the delayed part to shift it forward. Only critical thing is decent sealed headphones. The click also helps set the tempo. Drop it out promptly if it's not needed for the actual piece.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Damn good dude.

Thanks
    Gongli, I made a "correction" in this mix. I took the first measure out, and replaced it with the same 4 notes of a passage later in the piece. I also aligned it so that the first note of the guitar is exactly the same as the first note of the cello. See if you can tell the difference between this and the previous mix (all other parameters were the same).

I don't know what program you are using for editing. I'm using Reaper, and it was extremely quick and easy to move a section of audio from one spot to another.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information