how does this rough mix sound ?

SAMTheGreat

it was recorded with an mxl 770 , and a Behringer XENYX 302USB. (not my own setup) at my cousin house , he raps and just wants to have a session every now and then , or when i come to town.

his room has no treat at all , but i put a tracking blanket in front and behind us and it helped .

i mixed in studio one , with some mdr sony headphones . great flat response.

this was the out come .

what you you guys think ?

https://soundcloud.com/lankzzsam/r-e-t-r-o-graduation-day-intro

dont stop do not wait for feedback on hip hop tunes here it aint coming
this is 1970-1980
you are in 2000

In the interests of balance, that's complete balls. I haven't listened to the mix and am not on a computer with speakers at the moment - but in the couple of years I've been posting on here, I don't think I've seen a single hip hop artist give feedback on another person's mix. Very, very occasionally one might stretch to saying 'nice beat' or something in the hiphop forum, but it doesn't go any further than that and is usually accompanied by a plug for their own mix. As if to confirm this, you didn't actually post any feedback for SAM either...

I used to listen, but most of the time you'd never hear from them again (still less chance of them becoming a contributing member) so I gave up.

Did you really go to the trouble of registering just to post that? :laughings: :wtf:

dont stop do not wait for feedback on hip hop tunes here it aint coming
this is 1970-1980
you are in 2000

I thought that was pretty funny, and there's probably some truth to that actually, but here's the thing...

This is an open, public forum. There is absolutely nothing to stop rappers and DJs from coming in here, posting tracks and providing as much feedback as they like to whomever they like. That simply doesn't happen on any measurable scale though. Why is that?

The people regularly posting here aren't on some kind of staff, obligated to review everything thrown their way...they're just people listening to, and commenting on, whatever they like. It's a pretty free and open community. It can be whatever the public wishes it to be.

Yes, the music in this forum does seem to be slanted more towards "classic" rock, but if so, that's only because those are the people that choose to come here and those are the same people who choose to provide feedback for others. I for one would welcome an influx of hip hop tracks and meaningful feedback for those tracks in this forum, but the fact that this isn't happening is not the fault of the site. The responsibility for that lies squarely on the shoulders of those homerecorders who produce hip hop and do not actively participate. There's nothing stopping them.

I thought that was pretty funny, and there's probably some truth to that actually, but here's the thing...

This is an open, public forum. There is absolutely nothing to stop rappers and DJs from coming in here, posting tracks and providing as much feedback as they like to whomever they like. That simply doesn't happen on any measurable scale though. Why is that?

The people regularly posting here aren't on some kind of staff, obligated to review everything thrown their way...they're just people listening to, and commenting on, whatever they like. It's a pretty free and open community. It can be whatever the public wishes it to be.

Yes, the music in this forum does seem to be slanted more towards "classic" rock, but if so, that's only because those are the people that choose to come here and those are the same people who choose to provide feedback for others. I for one would welcome an influx of hip hop tracks and meaningful feedback for those tracks in this forum, but the fact that this isn't happening is not the fault of the site. The responsibility for that lies squarely on the shoulders of those homerecorders who produce hip hop and do not actively participate. There's nothing stopping them.

Yeah, I'm not antsy about the response either, but it did chime with something that I've pondered a few time before ie. why do hiphop makers not actively participate? The response column in the hiphop forum is essentially a string of binary with the only thread to garner any response being a 14 year old pretending to be his dad...

It's a shame because I like some styles of hiphop, but I draw the line at taking the time to write feedback for strangers that don't even seem to read it. The only theory I came up with as to why this is possibly down to how individualist hiphop often is - about how you got better flow, more money, more stuff than other rappers who just want to 'hate' on you. I guess that attitude doesn't lend itself too much to collaboration.

Eh, the guy was from Russia and his IP address lit up the spam-reporting sites!!

He's gone!!

Eh, the guy was from Russia and his IP address lit up the spam-reporting sites!!

He's gone!!

Good. I'm not for banning people, but in a case like this, I applaud it.

What makes his claim bullshit is what RobBreen touched on.

It's ironic that someone is suggesting rappers get ignored in this place. Take a visit into the Rap/Hip-Hop forum. It's a bunch of people pounding their chests, screaming "look at me!", and nobody's looking at anyone else. That place is the biggest "me" fest I've ever seen. I can't remember ever seeing a rapper here in the Clinic commenting on anyone else's music, but I've seen hundreds of rappers drop their file and link here, never to respond to any comments, and probably not even coming back to read the comments. They're just spamming the whole internet with what they always claim is the hottest shiznit ever recorded.

It's a joke.

...shiznit...

:cool: I think I just found a title for my new track! :D

And SAM...if you ever come back to read this and make it this far, I did listen to your track. I thought the vocals were captured well. They sounded nice and upfront and smooth at the same time. I liked the second verse especially. I did think the snare sidestick thing was a bit too loud and maybe the vocals could come up some?

I scrolled down your page to find some more of your own material and I thought Salute was particularly good.

Farewell comrade wazzzaaaaaa. We'd only just met....:(

Yeah, I did intend to listen to this when I was at home, not least because it's probably my fault that it got blown off course. Sounds pretty good - the samples are good choices, though there are a few timing issues that disrupt the flow. The rapping works well.

Hope you stick around and buck the trend discussed above.

:cool: I think i just found a title for my new track! :d

and sam...if you ever come back to read this and make it this far, i did listen to your track. I thought the vocals were captured well. They sounded nice and upfront and smooth at the same time. I liked the second verse especially. I did think the snare sidestick thing was a bit too loud and maybe the vocals could come up some?

I scrolled down your page to find some more of your own material and i thought salute was particularly good.

Farewell comrade wazzzaaaaaa. We'd only just met....:(

aye man thankss alot for some actual feed back ahahahaha

I like the song, especially the vocal tracks. Next time I would focus on making the backing tracks sound better especially those in the intro. Bass is full but Hi Fi it up a bit with the other instruments. IMHO. I am not a hip hop artist and I like it.

it was recorded with an mxl 770 , and a Behringer XENYX 302USB. (not my own setup) at my cousin house , he raps and just wants to have a session every now and then , or when i come to town.

his room has no treat at all , but i put a tracking blanket in front and behind us and it helped .

i mixed in studio one , with some mdr sony headphones . great flat response.

this was the out come .

what you you guys think ?

https://soundcloud.com/lankzzsam/r-e-t-r-o-graduation-day-intro

Vocal's good. I like how the one vocal blends into the other. Don't like the space on the keys much, though. Not in the intro, not at the end, not in the middle. I think they'd be way more effective if you pulled 'em forward toward the vocal. Take the space off 'em. The space you're slapped on the keys doesn't make them sound lonely, it makes them sound disconnected from the rest of the mix. But what do I know?

Back