Hot sibilance help (Original Song)

T

triquee

I've been working with this one for a while as a learning tool and trying to get it sounding just right. I finally achieved most of the balance I was looking for, but I can hear the the sibilance is a little hot, but I don't know how to approach fixing it without screwing up the balance I've found (and really dig) with this song...Maybe find the frequency and notch it out? Any suggestions?

I work with a guy who's a nightmare for sibilance.
I've used de essers and kinky eq-ery but never with satisfying results.

When I asked the same question, everyone said I should just go through and automate the volume of the esses manually.

It's not an easy thing to fix, so don't lose heart. ;)

If you know the lyrics very well and have some kind of hardware for automating, that makes life a lot easier.
I'm thinking of getting a presonus faderport for that very reason.

I've been meaning to play around with duplicating a vocal track, eqing until only the harsh SSSs are left, the popping it out of polarity and blending to taste.
I've no idea if there's any merit in the idea, but it's something to play with.
I thought maybe it'd give more control than most De-essers.

If you know the lyrics very well and have some kind of hardware for automating, that makes life a lot easier.
I'm thinking of getting a presonus faderport for that very reason.

I've been meaning to play around with duplicating a vocal track, eqing until only the harsh SSSs are left, the popping it out of polarity and blending to taste.
I've no idea if there's any merit in the idea, but it's something to play with.
I thought maybe it'd give more control than most De-essers.

Sounds like an interesting approach...If you do, I'd be interested to hear the result.

Sibilance isn't bothering me at all. In fact I'm really liking the vocal in this. Harmonies are killer. Effects are cool and tasteful. Nice job

I didn't realize you had posted the track. I thought it was just your signature or something.

Listening to that, it sounds like maybe you could just tailor the reverb so it doesn't accentuate the esses.

I often find that a dry vocal doesn't sound sibilant, but a reverb can make a problem.
If your reverb has an eq built in, try rolling the high end off a bit.

A good tip is to set it to 100% wet so you can really hear what the verb is adding.

Agreed though, It doesn't seem like a hugely distracting problem here.

I didn't realize you had posted the track. I thought it was just your signature or something.

Listening to that, it sounds like maybe you could just tailor the reverb so it doesn't accentuate the esses.

I often find that a dry vocal doesn't sound sibilant, but a reverb can make a problem.
If your reverb has an eq built in, try rolling the high end off a bit.

A good tip is to set it to 100% wet so you can really hear what the verb is adding.

Agreed though, It doesn't seem like a hugely distracting problem here.

Excellent tip. I'll try that.

Thank you :)

Back