Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hopeful Collaboration

Thanks

Hopeful Collaboration

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi guys and gals!

This song is one I have labored over putting up in the clinic for the past two months as I have been searching through my catalog for a song worthy of Studioviols to add some real strings to.

This song called "Toronto, Toronto", was written about 14 years ago but recently recorded on my current analog tracking set-up which consists of a 16 channel reel to reel and an analog 44 input at mix-down desk.

This song was written by me and all the parts were recorded and composed by me as well.

It will probably have the same "too wide" vocal signature on it that much of my stuff has but, I wanted to have it here for you to critique as a sort of before and after study.

Right now, this is the before version and if SV agrees to lay down some classical strings to this, I can hopefully post the after mix with Pat playing on this as well.

Hope you enjoy!

Toronto, Toronto

As always, your comments are appreciated and welcomed!

Cheers!
    Last edited by The Ghost of FM; 10-18-2003 at 21:09.

Thanks
    everything sounds really good. Can't wait to hear it after your done!
    Jason

Thanks
    good riff man!
    I like the way the guitars and bass interplay. I don't really think it needs strings but, you never know, the right string part might really be cool.
    I was country before they took the O out.

Thanks
    I don't really dig the subject matter...you didn't mention the part about pot being lagal or as near to it as you get without passing out free doobies.Mix sounds great!I wouldn't have panned the guitars so hard but that's just IMPO.Drums sound mint!!What you using?Fade too long...overall great mix and decent song.Good work.
    My Meat Has Worms...

Thanks
    That's one hella of a mix and song as well!

Awesome job! Especially that you did all that work by yer self!! I'm impressed by far!

Vocals resemble Boston a bit, great band though!

I would love to hear more of yer stuff as well as take a peek at your studio...

Thanks

Thumbs up

Very good pop tune with a catchy chorus.I kept wanting to hear at least a second part vocal harmony during the chorus.Oh well,I sang the part myself.LOL...nice spacious mix....the doubled vocals got out of sync one time..that lead guitar/fill thing during the outro could stand to come forward just a little bit.....maybe back off on the reverb a notch or 2 to bring it forward....other than that,nothing really jumps out as being harmful to the ears.I dig it.

Thanks
    Mostly D-Major ... D-minor very, very cool for strings. G-Major walkups ... good.

The mix is very good, you have found a nice warm spot between the ultra hot heat of the FM mix and the new digital generation. Lead vox is of course in your current mixing style quite seperated, and I'm prepared to work with that stylistically, and I need to have experience working in this type of mix. The warming string pads where appropriate will fill the space in the middle quite nicely.

A few collaborative observations :
    -----------------------------------------------

At 00:20
    'string section' can thicken and join in unison movement and harmony with the 'walkup' turnaround x 2

Room for some bluesy violin fills inbetween a few of the verse lyric phrases.

I'm hearing some opportunity to present the cello moving contrapuntally in scalar fashion against the bass riffs in places.

I hear a mostly violin section strings pad ... way high wash over the hooks.

At 01:47, there's an opportunity for the 'full string section' to walkdown there both times.

'string section' on the walkdown at 03:16 again ...

'they cry at night' could be supported with some 'weeping' section strings, perhaps a 'B' part for full section strings derived from material used for, (and generally there is room for) string section 'pad' to warm some sections in the tune. Using the strings here to draw attention to , and strenghten the 'hook' of both sections.

I think I'll listen to some Boston, the suggestion that this is like Boston ... and now that I'm thinking about it, it's got a bit of that ELO feel in it ... and that's where I'll start my approach.

My collab card is very full right now, and I'm concentrating on demo to artists who are touring trying to engage one for a tour, but this is ON MY COLLAB CARD for sure.

There will be some technical details to work out as I am totally computer based, and we'll chat about that.
    Performing and recording with real violin, viola, and cello for bands and artists.

Thanks
    the mix is excellent..........i mean that.....one of the better ones i've heard here....i'm not sure if it's the analogue sound or what, but it has a realy nice warmth.....no suggestions really.....i'm impressed.........

good song......i love the wide stereo vocal......very cool.........

Thanks
    this mix sounds good. yeah, don't like the vocal doubling and general wideness of the vocal, just a matter of taste. everything else comes through real well.

Thanks
    That's as great tune Ghost! Very Canadian sounding along the lines of BTO, The Guess Who etc (RUSH, limelight!). Nice clean recording as well. The drum machine gets the job done, but man it would be killer with some real drums. I like wide panning myself so none of that bothered me. I thought the ascending electric riff could be louder.

The guitar solo could be more expressive / intense.

Overall, really liked it.

ps. W.I.S.C, pot is illegal again here. The laws change daily around here, hard to keep up.
    Last edited by Emeric; 10-19-2003 at 07:45.

Thread Information