Honey Hunters - Rockets

Armistice

Son of Yoda
OK friends - first new thing from me in a very long while... :(

Dealing with the inevitable, fame, fortune, groupies, cocaine habit etc. after the last album. It's tough man... :laughings:

Or perhaps I just got a bit lazy. Something like that... ;)

I know, I know, I'm never here much any more, but still.... While I'm here I'll prolly go and argue with miro about something down below, just to make it worth the trip... :eek:

It's a 256k MP3 under that link. You know you can trust me... ;)

Rockets

Any and all feedback welcomed. Have at it.:D

Well, I'll start the ball rolling, Armi - if there's one to roll. :D

It sounds great. Perhaps a bit of digeridoo on the intro?

Love this guitar work. Nice tone and well played rock feel. Bass and drums feel good. Those surely must be real drums - did you record those? The vocals are good and absolutely passable, but I might add some overdubs on the transitions and other moments for emphasis i.e. "wave this place goodbye". And "realize this place is the same place Ive been" etc. There are moments the vocal would benefit from more power, "I guess I coulda known all this". The performance is quite good and sincere, and an overdub would probably do the trick - especially a harmonized overdub. Overall great rocker that is well mixed.

Love this guitar work. Nice tone and well played rock feel. Bass and drums feel good. Those surely must be real drums - did you record those? The vocals are good and absolutely passable, but I might add some overdubs on the transitions and other moments for emphasis i.e. "wave this place goodbye". And "realize this place is the same place Ive been" etc. There are moments the vocal would benefit from more power, "I guess I coulda known all this". The performance is quite good and sincere, and an overdub would probably do the trick - especially a harmonized overdub. Overall great rocker that is well mixed.

Thanks Stevie... drums are programmed...:)

You could be right about the additional harmony lines - I did have a similar thought but hadn't got to it yet. I'll have a play around during the week.

How on earth are those programmed VST drums? lol. What VST are you using, what kit? And how are you treating that in post? EQ, compression?

How on earth are those programmed VST drums? lol. What VST are you using, what kit? And how are you treating that in post? EQ, compression?

It seems like I should have a more complicated answer but it's Steve Slate Drums 4 - just a kit I put together - the snare is a mix of two from the "Deluxe" category. I've basically just dropped the standard Reaper EQ presets for kick, snare, cymbals on the kick, snare and overheads, and a HPF on the toms, and that's pretty much it. No compression. Very slight attack on the snare (3 ms - probably not even noticeable), and one's tuned up to "30" (whatever that means) and the other one's tuned down to "-26".

The trick, if there is one, is getting the blend between the two snares right, the virtual mic settings of top/bottom/overhead/room right and the balance between the direct tracks and overheads/room right at the fader level with respect to whatever else is going on. Just experimentation.

I really like this song, great all the way around. How were the guitars recorded, direct, miced amp, both? Bas too? Really enjoyable, nice feel.

Talking about harmonies, yeah, I'm kinda missing the Jongluer harmonies I've grown accustomed to. (Still listening to the tree album every so often)

For me, I hear a lot of sub-bass type freqs. Kick and bass. Are you doing your low-cuts like mama told ya? I'm guessing your mixing environment might have changed at some point.

I think the lead vocal gets buried sometimes. I'd have to go back and listen again... and well. you know how that goes.

Hope you're doing well. Kinda miss having your pragmatic cynicism around.
Cheers.

Talking about harmonies, yeah, I'm kinda missing the Jongluer harmonies I've grown accustomed to. (Still listening to the tree album every so often)

For me, I hear a lot of sub-bass type freqs. Kick and bass. Are you doing your low-cuts like mama told ya? I'm guessing your mixing environment might have changed at some point.

I think the lead vocal gets buried sometimes. I'd have to go back and listen again... and well. you know how that goes.

Hope you're doing well. Kinda miss having your pragmatic cynicism around.
Cheers.

Thanks Chili - I played it in the car the other day on the way to GF's place - loud - and the kick and bass took my head off, so I've backed the kick right off and taken a bit of the low end of the bass, and I've only just now updated the file above - plus I played around with various other minor variations, poking things back in and bringing things back out. See, didn't even need you to tell me... :D

Can't do much about the other Jongleur right now alas - he is at least now back in the country, and maybe when the lockdown is done and the plague vanquished we'll get together on something.

I drop in here every month or so to argue with miro - helps me keep my edge. :laughings:

You stay at home and away from the riots now... thanks for the listen & comments.

I really like this song, great all the way around. How were the guitars recorded, direct, miced amp, both? Bas too? Really enjoyable, nice feel.

Thanks Jeff - appreciate the comments - to cut a long story short - Kemper / strat / effects pedals / interface / Reaper - apart from the bass, which is, obviously, a bass, but still went through the Kemper.

There's like a dozen diferrent guitar parts there, apart from the main two, which were through a Strymon Volante and Timeline, depending upon which side you listen to...;)

The more I listen to this song, Armi, the more I like it. Will there be any backing vocal additions do you think, or is that it for the time being?

The more I listen to this song, Armi, the more I like it. Will there be any backing vocal additions do you think, or is that it for the time being?

Undecided - I've been concentrating on the mix. I've turned the high harmonies that are already there up a little bit so they're more audible and I'm going to see how I feel about those - done a few more tweaks as well.

I can certainly see where additional secondary vocals in spots in the verse might work well though.

I like what you did with the bass. To me, it fits in nicely. Vocals no longer buried at all. Nice and consistent throughout. In fact, I'm thinking you might have changed some of the reverb or delay or something. I'm hearing more depth than I remember from the previous version.

The adjustment on the kick might have gone a little too far. Before it was woofy or boomy, now, just not quite enough oomph. Eh, you know... the pendulum swings.

Great warm feel throughout! I especially loved the sounds of the drums in this. Of course everything else in this mix is undoubtedly great also! Thanks

The snare has a great snap to it, cuts through well without being obnoxious. The kick by contrast is barely perceptible. I like the way the bass takes up a lot of the melodic duties. Well balanced mix on headphones, vocal is clear and guitars are sitting right. Good job

Back