Honest Oppinions of my mix

Mikeeley

Ive been working on an 8 song project for a band that ive really started to get into. Since i liked the music and the project is a lot bigger than im used to, i worked very hard at making everything sound the best it possibly could. This is probably the best recording i've ever produced and I don't know what else i could possibly do without spending a lot of money to make it sound better. With all that said i was wondering if you guys could shred my statement to peices and tell me how i could make it better without buying anything. thanks!

The mix sounds fine to me but with all my own problems mixing don't take that as gospel. I like the song. I like all the changes. Some loose parts here and there. I can't stand the vocal. I just don't like those screeching, screaming vocals that you can't understand a word they're saying. But that's just me. The snare sounds bright, almost like a piccolo snare. I hate overuse of piccolo snares. I think they have their place, but only THEIR PLACE.

Just for the sake of maybe showing off the bands tightness I would remove the stick clicks at 3:27 as well as the amp buzz that follows. Think how it would sound with just silence there and then the whole band coming in at the same time.

Just my opinions but as stated before, I'm probably not the best judge. ;)

I'm thinking Deftones after hanging out with Killswitch Engage too long. Not my favorite style of rock, but I don't DISLIKE it. These guys definately have talent.

The main guitar is way to harsh. I think it's miked too close, or needs some verb to spread it around. Also too much gain on the amp or amp modeler?? for me. I can barely hear the tone of the note. Also sounds like you just used one mic in front of the cab. I would try using a combo of a 58 near the grill and a large diapragm condenser several feet back, NOT directly in front of the amp, and pointed at the spot where the side of of the cab meets the grill. That will give you a nice picture of the cab itself inside the room. Keep in mind that this might work against you if the room, and placement within the room, sound poor. Also, two mics might introduce phase cancellation - combine both tracks to mono to see if they're battling each other or not.

Drums are pretty solid, I'll leave pointers on that to the next guy who responds.

Vox - same deal.

I think if you work on the guitar tone and make it bark harder, the whole song will rock the way you want it to. Yeah.

This kind of band - borrow a bass with active pickups and run it through a Ampeg SVT head on a coffin 8x10 cab. Mic with a kick mic and a 57. If you can finagle that, you'll love the results!

where's the mid range? The highs sound really harsh to me but that could be my old ears. Sounds like you put the big smiley face EQ on the overall mix.

That was the bad point but there's lots of good ones. Well tracked, nice balance...oops...gate that guitar on the breakdown, it's noisy and the whole mix is in the red. Loud doesn't = better

Get some commercial CDs in the genre and counter refference as you're mixing. Don't try to master it yourself, that's a job for the pros...seriously. Good effort

I'm by no means an expert at mixing, so can only say what I like or dislike to my ears. Take it for that. I like the song, and agree with the fact the guitar is maybe too loud, in the mix. Seems to clip a bit on my speakers. Not the best system, but a decent 5.1 system. Highs are a bit harsh, and could use some midrange. The bass sounds real good in the mix.

Maybe just some different eq would make this a bit cleaner?

Anyway, cool tune. Sounds like you're just about there.
Ed

I havent gotten to taking out those clicks or the guitar noise i did mean to do that. And i agree with the overall highs being to high, i EQd the guitars way to high and the symbols fight with them for space. I like the idea of micing up a bass amp but i dont know much about it, ive always used a direct input with my modeler, more info on that would be apreciated. I did close mic the guitar with a 57 and thought of using a distant condenser but whenever i use this combo i can't get it to sound the way i want it to, as im getting sounds i usually just end up muting the condensor and going with the 57. Thanks for all the responses, i love this forum!

Edit: any tips on micing a Bass drum would be highly appreciated, i feel like the kick could be a lot more defined but im not able to bring it out. Im using an akg d112 btw.

Back