Home recordings + pro mix/master = wow!

Wow

It's like a quantum leap from a lot of what I hear. The sound is full and rich. I have a radio background, and this sounds 'air ready".

Way too cool.

Moo

not sure what song you want to have checked out, so I listened to Love Is sacred . Sounds like a good mix to me, so I don't think you got taken or anything. But if you stick around here long enough you'll learn how to get a better mix on your own. Nothing sticks out to criticize too bad, but nothing to Wow about either. Check out some of the other peoples stuff here and you'll see what I mean! Keep at it!
thanks, Jason

We used a variety of equipment, upgrading as we went along. The most-used pre-amps, though, were RNPs. Also a presonus mp-20. Lesser pre's we used are: M Audio 'Audio buddy', Mackie VLZ and even the mic amps on an old Tascam cassette four track machine. Midway through making the record we acquired a "nice" (meaning expensive) microphone- a Royer 121. Others are Sennheiser 431 (not 421). Shure SM-87A, Audix OM5, Audix OM6, Rode NT1, Rode NTK, and lots of SM-57's. For the lead vocal on "The Fall of Love" and "A Terra Grita" we finally went whole hog and rented a Neumann U87 and Avalon preamp (no huge step up, I'd say, from our NTK and RNP, but of course your results may vary.) Our one processor/effect for tracking is an RNC. The truly crucial pieces of gear are the Fender Super Reverb amp and Ampeg B-15! Three songs were recorded onto 8 track 1/2" tape ("68," "They wanna take my love", and "Suicide Letter") but then our Tascam TSR-8 kicked the bucket, so we switched to Cubase and a Delta 1010 sound card.

Hey "The What"!

What mic and pre did you use for vocals on "love is sacred"?

Thats my favorite song by the way. :)

Andre

one more thing...

What Company did the mixing?
What Company did the mastering?

Where all mastered?
What effects processor do you use on vox?

Much obliged.

Andre

Back