Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holy Shred.

Thanks

Holy Shred.

Sign in to disable this ad
    hi guys, i truly hope this mix is better than my last. all the guitar sounds are completely custom by me,made with my zoom gfx8.
    the bass is a real bass this time and i had a hard time getting it to sound good went straight into my board with it and im not sure im happy with it. everything sounds ok on my pc speakers from what i can tell but i thought that last time and it sounded like crap. anyway i left everything pretty much the way it went into the board and didnt eq anything just tried to get the sound as close as i could to what i wanted it to sound like before i tracked it.(thanks to a sugestion from crawdad).i just opened my soul up to jesus and played this one so hope you like it. and please be honest about it and let me know what you think of the guitar tones. thanks ahead of time, p.s. i am willing to change the mix as much as needed so dont be afraid to make sugestions. thank you and god bless you all you are what makes this comunity so great. tim pate, holy shred http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...d=1751&alid=-1

Thanks
    sorry guys for bumping this but im realy curious if this is any better. it sounds realy good in my home stereo and sounds great in my mach360 car stereo. please let me know thanks and god bless.

Thanks
    hello, there:

I will start with what I think needs improvement. The whole mix sounds very mono, so, the huge sound on the guitars don't really reflect here. We all want that heavy guitar sound, but having it conflicting with the bass and kick drum isn't really gonna show it. Right now the guitar, especially the rhythm ones sound pretty boomy on my monitors, and i am sure will sound even boomier in my car. A common way to start mixing guitars is to cut off everything below 80-100hz, and leave that for the bass and kick. They might sound thin when soloed, but within the mix, they should still sound heavy while cutting off the lows.
    Next would be double tracking and panning the rhythm guitars. Record the same rhythm twice with slightly dif eq settings, then pan them left and right to taste(usually hard left/right) It's gonna sound huge.
    Drums, I would pan every drumkit to either the audience's perspective or drummer's, and just keep snare and kick dead center.
    About the bass, it definitely needs compression since only a few notes can be heard clearly. Actually, those few notes just pop out while the other notes are burried underneath the guitars and drums.

Besides what's said, I think everything besides the bass was tracked fairly well, especially the drum kit. Just gotta make "every instrument has its own place within the mix" be it frequencies or sound field(panning). The lead guitar sounds awsome, but, could be enhanced even more by better mixing. The performance is good, but I don't know if I dig the bassline or not, it just keeps repeating the same riff, and the volume control is somewhat weak. Try heavier compression if you can get the bass player to control that.

Ok, I hope this helps.

AL

Thanks
    a1a2 thanks for the reply bro.
    ive been waiting for a reply so i could remix this one.
    i am gonna try doubling the guitar(ill record the rythm again with a little bit dif eq) and ill do the 50-100 hz cut on it. this part realy got my head swelled lol, the drums were programed my friend with loops. i wish i could play drums that good lol. the reason the bass line is so weak is because im not such a good bass player and i realy have never used my bass guitar until now, ive always used my synth for bass parts.this realy is just a simplified version of a song im working on because when i do my whole song i wanna be able to mix it wright. this mixing thing has been driving me crazy lol, i just am having a hard time grasping the whole stereo field thing, and now you just through in the fact that frequencies are stepping on other instruments lol. i take criticism good so please dont take it wrong im just having fun making fun of myself lol.i was realy careful this time with the panning so nothing would be using the same space. so when i do the frequencie cuts whats the best thing to use in sonar 2.0 xl to do this, will the fx eq work for this? im gonna try and remix this this morning and when i have it done ill post that it is so. ive gott my daughter home sick from school for the last 3 days and on tio of that i have band practice today and we have a gig tommorow. oh as far as the drums go i cant pan them realy any differently as far as individual instruments go because they are loops. any way thanks for the listen although i know im not worthy of everyones time here. thanks god bless, tim pate.

Thanks
    is my mix so good that no one wants to comment? im getting lots of hits but no replies please help out guys. thanks and god bless.

Thanks
    Hey Tim... I think the previous post was excellent. The only thing I'd add is that I'm getting some pretty nasty "pops" that seem to be associated with the bass...could it be clipping?

Keep shredding brother,
    Chris

Thanks
    It's hiding somewhere on my harddisk. As soon as I've found it, I will respond.
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trojka
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trafo

Thanks
    I'm wondering if I just heard the same version that some of the others heard?? I'm hearing the levels a lot different than what others have described.

Some nice guitar licks. Some of it sounds like one of my Roland patches for guitar synth.

I'm not able to listen on my best setup right now... but the bass sounds ... I dont' know... almost midi? That's a real bass guitar??
    I agree that it needs a little more variety, or needs to be more intricate.

Drums sound okay. A couple of nice breaks.

I'm a little uncomfortable critiquing sometimes.... because my own sound is so different than most here. Different equipment and signal chain.

I say just play and have fun. Make it sound like you think it needs to sound... and most of the time it will be close. The thing is that everyone of us here are musicians .. and every single musician in the whole world hears music their own way and 9 out of 10 have their own preferences for how things should sound because of our influences etc. If you can figure out how to record it so that it sounds like YOU want it to sound... then you're about 75% there. (at least that's my opinion)

Thanks
    I liked the phrygian guit at first but it got boring, definitely a lot more fun to do than to listen to.
    The bass is, well lets just say it does not fit, its not just the timbre but the style seemed to clash. There is a lack of dynamics in the mix to me and the drums need a little more variation. I hope Im not being too critical for you and please keep in mind that this is not my genre of choice.

Peace
    Bill

Thanks
    forgot to add another good way to help mixing, reference CD. Grab whatever CD that has the sound you are after, then just try to match your tracks to that (listen for the low end, panning and etc). That way, you know when you are getting closer or further away from your goal. You can't really depend on one set of speakers to tell you what it's gonna sound on other systems.

AL

Thread Information