Hip-Hop Vocal Mix Help

Bray Freeman

I am trying to get better at mixing, but I am a noob. I need to develop better ears for it. I would love for anyone to criticize this song, especially if you can say specific flaws. Right now, I am trying to get a Drake-like mix. The mixes aren't where I want them to be but I just can't quite figure out what is wrong.

Thank you!

Best,

BrayView attachment 107092

Attachments

• MyBest_4 - 10:6:20, 4.30 PM.mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hey Bray Freeman, I really like your composition. It's very catchy and I really enjoyed listening to it! As far as the mix is concerned, I only noticed two things that I would try to improve if I were you:

1) The vocals could be a bit more forward relative to the other instruments and more in your face (I think that's generally one of the first things that I notice in the vocals when I listen to this genre of music) You could even try that whispering in your ear effect where the vocals seem to be whispered in both the ears (especially noticeable in headphones) But I have no idea how that's done. As an example, you can listen to 50 cent's in Da Club where the whispering in both ears effect is very noticeable (although it doesn't happen throughout the song and alternates between dead center and whispers in both ears, which adds a nice contrast). I'm sorry if that's not a great example :)

2)Another common thing that I notice in this genre of music (especially the most recent ones these days) is lots of delay on the vocals with longer delay times. I think you can try adding some subtle delay to your vocals here and there as an automation on select phrases, words or even whole sections (I think this will give your vocals a wet sound without pushing them back in the mix and also add a bit of interest from the listener's perspective)

Thank you!

I like this. The synth sounds in the back are cool and there's a nice balance to the mix with good bass tones. The vocal seems a little heavy in the mid eq range but that might just be the tone of the vocal..Perhaps play try some really light chorus to smooth out and drop some delay?

I don't listen to hip hop at all. Sorry. But, it's a nice mix. The only thing I would say is bring up the vocal a bit more. 98% of the time the vocal should on top and not just mixed with the music. You don't have to bring it up a lot but just a notch so it sticks out.

You have a good voice. You also might want to experiment with changing the melody a little more in future projects.

Back